Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Old May 12th 2013, 10:39 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Austerity is a myth...government spending has increased every year since the GFC.
Spending has increased, but there is still "austerity". The cuts in public sector jobs all over the country, and other private sector unemployment are not mythical. How a country can increase borrowing and spending and keep house prices unaffordable while simultaneously increasing unemployment and degrading services is nothing short of miraculous.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:11 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

I have just returned from a trip to the UK, mainly to visit my brother but also to tour around England like any other tourist: this is much more enjoyable because I have an Australian wife and can learn to see things I took for granted through the eyes of someone to whom it is all new.

One thing we noticed during a tour of the Cotswolds: whilst the main tourist areas such as Broadway and Bourton-O-T-W are thriving the large towns (Stroud, Gloucester) are looking very run down with many empty shops and the ones that are open being more downmarket. Doesn't seem to be much money or employment around.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:18 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Austerity is a myth...government spending has increased every year since the GFC.
I agree, UK being a prime example. Even Greece is spending more than 5 years ago

Voters in these countries are dellusional
Old May 13th 2013, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
(Stroud, Gloucester) are looking very run down with many empty shops and the ones that are open being more downmarket. Doesn't seem to be much money or employment around.
It was a bit like this 10 years ago!
Old May 14th 2013, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

Bungle Bungle is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello there,
I have been back in the UK for the past 8 months, after living in Australia for two years and these are my observations:
Less public service jobs
Some high street shops have disappeared and increase in charity shops
Food and clothing remain much cheaper
Houses in West Yorkshire remain really good value
Local butchers, with locally sourced meat are very popular
Lots of roads in state of disrepair
The sun seems to have completely disappeared!
BB
Old May 17th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

And the financial workers in London continue to get million pound bonus, the wealthy continue to get even more wealthy, whilst the gap between top and bottom continues to widen, the rich pay no tax, but the workers more, Mr Cameron grows richer, rent a mob need shooting, and Immigration continues to go wild, pubs are still closing, but at the end of all this the true Brit may just about hang on in there, have they decided to celebrate St Georges day, or do the English believe more in St Patricks day still.
Old May 17th 2013, 1:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
And the financial workers in London continue to get million pound bonus, the wealthy continue to get even more wealthy, whilst the gap between top and bottom continues to widen, the rich pay no tax, but the workers more, Mr Cameron grows richer, rent a mob need shooting, and Immigration continues to go wild, pubs are still closing, but at the end of all this the true Brit may just about hang on in there, have they decided to celebrate St Georges day, or do the English believe more in St Patricks day still.
And not forgetting that Amazon, Google, Apple, Starbucks etc continue to pay less than 0.1% tax on multi-billion profits derived in the UK which are (presently) legally siphoned off to Luxemburg, Ireland, British Virgin Islands etc!
Old May 17th 2013, 8:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
And not forgetting that Amazon, Google, Apple, Starbucks etc continue to pay less than 0.1% tax on multi-billion profits derived in the UK which are (presently) legally siphoned off to Luxemburg, Ireland, British Virgin Islands etc!
That's a government legislation issue - I really don't understand why people aim criticism for that at the companies when it's legal. Take the focus away from the companies (and rich people) who legally deal with tax affairs, and put it into the government to make legislation to be able to obtain more tax from them.
Old May 18th 2013, 5:23 am
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
This is the biggest problem in today's world as governments shift their focus from corporations to individuals. Something has to be done about this as it's getting quite ridiculous.
Old May 18th 2013, 8:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
That's a government legislation issue - I really don't understand why people aim criticism for that at the companies when it's legal. Take the focus away from the companies (and rich people) who legally deal with tax affairs, and put it into the government to make legislation to be able to obtain more tax from them.
Can you see a Conservative government rushing to punish higher income earners and businesses who have shelf companies in tax havens?

Starbucks UK has this (legal, currently) scheme whereby, say they earn £100 mill profit from their UK stores they pay their US parent a 'licensing fee' of £99.9 mill for use of their name (leaving £100K for HMRC to tax). This goes to somewhere other than the US where there is no tax.

Close the loopholes! Don't see it happening though, we don't want to stifle enterprise do we? I feel sorry for UK companies paying their fair wack of tax and trying to compete with these morally repugnant practices.

Last edited by OzTennis; May 18th 2013 at 8:25 am.
Old May 18th 2013, 9:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by juddy
Love the "pubs are still closing" in your rant :-)
Old May 18th 2013, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bluekipper
I was back at Xmas time, stopped over in Dubai for a few days which is an amazing place, I highly recommend people go see. I would say the UK has a great vibe to it, we had a brilliant time and will go back again this year (hopefully) made me want to return permanently, if we had a job to go to that is. I love Australia too but the UK had way more going for it IMO, each to their own and if your not pulled to even make the effort to go and see your own family then I don`t think you should be asking `is it worth it` in terms of going back for a visit, money wise, flights are way cheaper now than years ago, esp with Emirates.
Agree with what you say. Love Dubai, a great place! Since coming back to NZ after being overseas have felt very dissatisfied and think that the older I get the more European I'm becoming. Lived in Oz years ago and love the place but don't think I could afford to live there now. Pity! However, in spite of all it's faults, I keep feeling the draw back to the Uk and to Europe.