Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Old May 7th 2013, 4:29 pm
  #61  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OzTennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 7,949
OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by papilon View Post
Dave is getting it from both sides not old school tory enough for the right and because he is posh he is getting it from the class warriors. Rock n a hard place
Cameron has lost sight of the main issues which affect most Brits and the concerns they have. He and his Eton/Oxford/Notting Hill brigade as someone else pointed out are pursuing what they see as the main issues they should address - international development, the environment and his main plank of policy HE SAYS is social responsibility. The party members now see they probably should have gone for Davis and what he stood for - again as someone said traditional Tory values because UKIP offer the anti-migration, out of Europe, retain the pound etc policies this is why they are doing well.

The very point I was making is that the Tory party whether they liked it or not lurched towards elitism etc in choosing Dave over David. I'm not sure if it was 'forced' on them because of Davis's background (although the crucial part of his background for Tories was missed out!

Spot the odd one out - Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Duncan Smith and Cameron (no, not Maggie the female or Duncan Smith the bald headed one).

I definitely wouldn't call Cameron a Social Democrat (sorry to Wiki!) - "Social democracy is the idea that the state needs to provide security and equality for its people and should actively reorder society in a way that is conducive to such developments, but that such changes should be brought about gradually, legitimated by a democratically-elected majority. It is native to Europe, where social democrats regularly feature as one of the major parties and have led (or at least participated in) governments in most states at some point in time, most notably in Scandinavia. Social democrats typically regard government intervention as a force for good, constraining markets and engaging in redistributive efforts for the benefit of the lower classes in order to establish a more equitable society." Is that really Dave? Cameron describes himself as a LIBERAL CONSERVATIVE.
OzTennis is offline  
Old May 7th 2013, 8:00 pm
  #62  
Last resort... format c:/
 
astera's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife!
Posts: 1,426
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
He and his Eton/Oxford/Notting Hill brigade as someone else pointed out are pursuing what they see as the main issues they should address - international development, the environment and his main plank of policy HE SAYS is social responsibility
Really? I could have sworn that he has never stood up to anything except for being the main drum-boy and spokesman for London's own "Pirate Bay" (aka The City).

Ever since he managed to climb into power I have never seen him fight for anything else...
astera is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 3:08 am
  #63  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,622
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Cameron has lost sight of the main issues which affect most Brits and the concerns they have. He and his Eton/Oxford/Notting Hill brigade as someone else pointed out are pursuing what they see as the main issues they should address - international development, the environment and his main plank of policy HE SAYS is social responsibility. The party members now see they probably should have gone for Davis and what he stood for - again as someone said traditional Tory values because UKIP offer the anti-migration, out of Europe, retain the pound etc policies this is why they are doing well.

The very point I was making is that the Tory party whether they liked it or not lurched towards elitism etc in choosing Dave over David. I'm not sure if it was 'forced' on them because of Davis's background (although the crucial part of his background for Tories was missed out!

Spot the odd one out - Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Duncan Smith and Cameron (no, not Maggie the female or Duncan Smith the bald headed one).

I definitely wouldn't call Cameron a Social Democrat (sorry to Wiki!) - "Social democracy is the idea that the state needs to provide security and equality for its people and should actively reorder society in a way that is conducive to such developments, but that such changes should be brought about gradually, legitimated by a democratically-elected majority. It is native to Europe, where social democrats regularly feature as one of the major parties and have led (or at least participated in) governments in most states at some point in time, most notably in Scandinavia. Social democrats typically regard government intervention as a force for good, constraining markets and engaging in redistributive efforts for the benefit of the lower classes in order to establish a more equitable society." Is that really Dave? Cameron describes himself as a LIBERAL CONSERVATIVE.
I'm a liberal conservative. I'm basically conservative but have a moral and social conscience.

I feel we need to look after people.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 6:54 am
  #64  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 470
bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

I was back at Xmas time, stopped over in Dubai for a few days which is an amazing place, I highly recommend people go see. I would say the UK has a great vibe to it, we had a brilliant time and will go back again this year (hopefully) made me want to return permanently, if we had a job to go to that is. I love Australia too but the UK had way more going for it IMO, each to their own and if your not pulled to even make the effort to go and see your own family then I don`t think you should be asking `is it worth it` in terms of going back for a visit, money wise, flights are way cheaper now than years ago, esp with Emirates.
bluekipper is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 8:38 am
  #65  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Posts: 1,717
papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
Cameron has lost sight of the main issues which affect most Brits and the concerns they have. He and his Eton/Oxford/Notting Hill brigade as someone else pointed out are pursuing what they see as the main issues they should address - international development, the environment and his main plank of policy HE SAYS is social responsibility. The party members now see they probably should have gone for Davis and what he stood for - again as someone said traditional Tory values because UKIP offer the anti-migration, out of Europe, retain the pound etc policies this is why they are doing well.

The very point I was making is that the Tory party whether they liked it or not lurched towards elitism etc in choosing Dave over David. I'm not sure if it was 'forced' on them because of Davis's background (although the crucial part of his background for Tories was missed out!

Spot the odd one out - Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher, Major, Duncan Smith and Cameron (no, not Maggie the female or Duncan Smith the bald headed one).

I definitely wouldn't call Cameron a Social Democrat (sorry to Wiki!) - "Social democracy is the idea that the state needs to provide security and equality for its people and should actively reorder society in a way that is conducive to such developments, but that such changes should be brought about gradually, legitimated by a democratically-elected majority. It is native to Europe, where social democrats regularly feature as one of the major parties and have led (or at least participated in) governments in most states at some point in time, most notably in Scandinavia. Social democrats typically regard government intervention as a force for good, constraining markets and engaging in redistributive efforts for the benefit of the lower classes in order to establish a more equitable society." Is that really Dave? Cameron describes himself as a LIBERAL CONSERVATIVE.
Of course it was meant a bit toungue in cheek about Dave being a Social Democrat but hw definitely way more liberal than conservatives in both Aus and the US.

He would probably be ok if times were different. Unfortunately for him he came to power at the wrong time. A conviction politician is what's needed and that is certainly not Dave.

Why do you so dislike Dave because he is posh?? I couldn't give a stuff if the whole cabinet is full of blokes who went to Eaton as long as they are doing a good job. I noticed when Turnbull was in charge of the Liberals here it seemed to provoke a lot of Aussies and "silvertaiil was bandied about a fair bit. Who gives a shit?
papilon is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 9:12 am
  #66  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,622
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by papilon View Post
Of course it was meant a bit toungue in cheek about Dave being a Social Democrat but hw definitely way more liberal than conservatives in both Aus and the US.

He would probably be ok if times were different. Unfortunately for him he came to power at the wrong time. A conviction politician is what's needed and that is certainly not Dave.

Why do you so dislike Dave because he is posh?? I couldn't give a stuff if the whole cabinet is full of blokes who went to Eaton as long as they are doing a good job. I noticed when Turnbull was in charge of the Liberals here it seemed to provoke a lot of Aussies and "silvertaiil was bandied about a fair bit. Who gives a shit?
I agree, which is a sort of what I wanted to say at the start....

the cabinet is what, a dozen people....out of 60 odd million....you have to be pretty special to get there...
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 9:20 am
  #67  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OzTennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 7,949
OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by astera View Post
Really? I could have sworn that he has never stood up to anything except for being the main drum-boy and spokesman for London's own "Pirate Bay" (aka The City).

Ever since he managed to climb into power I have never seen him fight for anything else...
Don't shoot the messenger and all that, I'm only quoting what Dave says he is and what his main policies are.
OzTennis is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 9:29 am
  #68  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OzTennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 7,949
OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
I agree, which is a sort of what I wanted to say at the start....

the cabinet is what, a dozen people....out of 60 odd million....you have to be pretty special to get there...
For just over £100K plus expenses (therein lies many a tale) you reckon you get pretty special people? Pay peanuts and you get monkeys and all that. Just because it's 22 people out of over 60 million means nowt - that's about the size of the board of RBS - enough said!
OzTennis is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 9:56 am
  #69  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Hill overlooking the SE Melbourne suburbs
Posts: 16,622
BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
For just over £100K plus expenses (therein lies many a tale) you reckon you get pretty special people? Pay peanuts and you get monkeys and all that. Just because it's 22 people out of over 60 million means nowt - that's about the size of the board of RBS - enough said!
Special as in there's not many of them.
you know, as in get on the box alot, get into the papers ;-)

You have to be slightly good in your area, admittedly even to get into Parliament and stay there and get to the front bench.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; May 8th 2013 at 9:58 am.
BadgeIsBack is offline  
Old May 8th 2013, 10:52 am
  #70  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
OzTennis's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Scotland
Posts: 7,949
OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack View Post
Special as in there's not many of them.
you know, as in get on the box alot, get into the papers ;-)

You have to be slightly good in your area, admittedly even to get into Parliament and stay there and get to the front bench.
Ah, special in that way.

I suppose if you do enough crawling and spout the party line it is possible to get a nomination as a parliamentiary candidate and then if you are lucky get elected depending on which party you are in and which part of the country you are standing.

Then, if you are a Tory MP and you went to Eton or Westminster or St Paul's and on to Oxford, you have an excellent chance of being a minister in the current government!
OzTennis is offline  
Old May 12th 2013, 1:43 am
  #71  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 2
Sunshine777 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Thanks for all the input and some really interesting reasons for going back and having a stop over in a different country is a great idea.What I should have said was has the UK changed for the better? There are some great historical places to visit in the UK as someone mentioned but if I didnot visit them when I lived there then I probably wouldn't visit them if I went back. As for Australia having changed in the last 10 years well all I can say where I live in QLD it has and its getting better all the time!! If you are thinking of coming to Australia to live just do it it is a fantastic place to live warts and all. I am going to look at the emirates airline as seeing my family will be a fantastic holiday after all!!
Sunshine777 is offline  
Old May 12th 2013, 9:38 am
  #72  
 
asher's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: in the Sydney asylum
Posts: 20,690
asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

I have just spent 6 months in the UK due to family reasons.

the changes I have noticed in my part of the south east has been that a few pubs have closed, shops have become pound shops or pawn brokers. It has also had a hell of a lot of building work. Motorways are a lot wider but that just means more traffic .

People seem to moan a lot when really it isn't too bad at times the ones moaning dont seem to have changed their lives much.

The Govt is screwing the disabled for every penny they can get. Those working for the Govt ie nurses, policemen , social workers those at the coal face have more work and less time and money but the senior execs are ok it will fall apart soon.

The newspapers seem to contain so much more information. Pubs are still a fantastic place for a Sunday lunch.

It's changed a bit but not drastically.

As with the rest of the world most people own a smart phone and run their lives with it lol
asher is offline  
Old May 12th 2013, 3:52 pm
  #73  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 691
aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by kips View Post
The biggest shock will be how much cheaper most things are in the UK - and better quality - and how much you are getting ripped off here, especially Perth.
Disgaree things are better quality in the UK...
aussietobe is offline  
Old May 12th 2013, 3:54 pm
  #74  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 691
aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by Zen10 View Post
Australian retail is very expensive, which is why wise people buy everything over the internet. Australian wages are for the main much higher than UK wages, so to be able to earn Australian dollars but pay British retail is the best of both worlds. You also need to remember that the British market is much bigger than the Australian market, and this always reduces prices. My opinion is that the current exchange rate is a new paradigm and will not change for decades unless it is to make the AUD even stronger against the pound.

More broadly, we're going back this year for the first time in many years (we left long before "austerity") and I'm looking forward to seeing the changes. We want to return to the UK at some point for a period of several years to enable the family to be together again, so I will be using this holiday to observe local conditions!!
Austerity is a myth...government spending has increased every year since the GFC.
aussietobe is offline  
Old May 12th 2013, 3:59 pm
  #75  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 691
aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have not been back to Uk for 10 years has it changed?

Originally Posted by OzTennis View Post
One thing to look out for is a country which has gone back in time politically. The country is run by ministers and advisers who overwhelmingly went to Eton/St Paul's/Westminster/Oxford (and live in Notting Hill) with only 4 of 22 cabinet ministers being female (reduced from 6 in the last re-shuffle) and few come from outside the south-east of England.

5 schools (Eton, Westminster, St Paul's, St Paul's Girls and a 6th form college in Cambridge) provide more entrants to Oxford and Cambridge than 2,000 secondary schools combined (2/3 of all). Banking, Directors of Companies, Civil Service and Politics are also dominated by the Chumocracy as the Sunday Times called it in an article yesterday from which the above is quoted.

Nowts changed that way, in fact it's got worse under Cameron/Clegg/Osborne etc. Cameron just appointed Boris's brother (Eton/Oxford) as his chief policy adviser much to the irritation of many in his party.
Who cares what schools they went to? Australia is run by a bunch of retarded ex-unionists who have zero idea about business or the corporate world.
aussietobe is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.