Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have no mobile phone. Is it worth buying one in the UK before leaving?

Have no mobile phone. Is it worth buying one in the UK before leaving?

Old Apr 24th 2005, 5:56 am
Alive and boinging!

bal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to allbal56 is a name known to all
Default Have no mobile phone. Is it worth buying one in the UK before leaving?

As the title says.....
The wife's expired a few weeks back and we didn't replace it.
I handed mine back at work when I left last week.
I've read the threads on unlocking.
My question's a stage before this - is there any value in buying a pay-as-you-go or similar in the last couple of days in Blighty; picking one up at Singapore airport, or are they similarly priced (and avoid the complication of unlocking) in Oz?
Old Apr 24th 2005, 6:36 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Have no mobile phone. Is it worth buying one in the UK before leaving?

You can sometimes get pre paid mobiles, from supermarkets, for about $99 inc $25 to $50 worth of calls thrown in. Mine was like that, an Alcatel for $99 with $50 calls credit, and my wife got a Nokia for $79 with $10 worth of calls. Not sure about model numbers but they are basic ones for making phone calls and text messages

Current adverts are:
Nokia 3105 with $10 calls for $179, but it glows in the dark and has wallpaper.

Sagem MYX-7 with $30 calls for $199 with 4mb storage for the built in video player, and digital camera.

Motorola V171 with $10 calls for $139

Telstra have a $30 pre paid top up plan that lasts for 6 months, for anyone who rarely makes calls.

Old Apr 24th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Have no mobile phone. Is it worth buying one in the UK before leaving?

Originally Posted by bal56
As the title says.....
The wife's expired a few weeks back and we didn't replace it.
I handed mine back at work when I left last week.
I've read the threads on unlocking.
My question's a stage before this - is there any value in buying a pay-as-you-go or similar in the last couple of days in Blighty; picking one up at Singapore airport, or are they similarly priced (and avoid the complication of unlocking) in Oz?
I just brought a cheap Motorola $79 with $30 call credit with vodaphone,i dont use it back in the UK,but will use it if we can go to live there
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:09 am
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

my vodaphone was 99$ including 30$ of credit for an ericsson phone , color screen polyring tones etc but no camera.

a sim card from vodaphone was $25 including $25 of credit

both are pay as you go - I think they looked cheaper here and they're readily available.
Old Apr 24th 2005, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Steve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud ofSteve2438 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spalen
my vodaphone was 99$ including 30$ of credit for an ericsson phone , color screen polyring tones etc but no camera.

a sim card from vodaphone was $25 including $25 of credit

both are pay as you go - I think they looked cheaper here and they're readily available.
Great eh a mobile phone with no camera,its hard work to get just a phone here now