Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have I missed something?!

Have I missed something?!

Old Apr 7th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Have I missed something?!

After all the fuss over the new Australian tourist board ad 'where the bloody hell are you' phrase, you can imagine my surprise this morning when a new Virgin Atlantic advert came on the radio, and Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols rounded up his praise of VA's Upper Class flights with 'don't be a w*nker'!!!! I nearly fell off my seat, and my husband had to check that he had heard it right.

How is it ok to say w*nker when bloody was not acceptable. I know all the religious connortations etc, but surely not?
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Have I missed something?!

Originally Posted by suzimc
After all the fuss over the new Australian tourist board ad 'where the bloody hell are you' phrase, you can imagine my surprise this morning when a new Virgin Atlantic advert came on the radio, and Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols rounded up his praise of VA's Upper Class flights with 'don't be a w*nker'!!!! I nearly fell off my seat, and my husband had to check that he had heard it right.

How is it ok to say w*nker when bloody was not acceptable. I know all the religious connortations etc, but surely not?
Am I the only one that finds this slightly shocking? That has shocked me too....
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one that finds this slightly shocking? That has shocked me too....

Nothing suprises me anymore....
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:27 pm
flirt

stutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond reputestutess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WendyC
Nothing suprises me anymore....
it's all a load of b*****ks anyway
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stutess
it's all a load of b*****ks anyway
Bloody hell, stop swearing, the UK may ban you
Old Apr 7th 2006, 10:31 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Is this because w*nker is not considered a rude word in the US? I remember that one episode of Mork and Mindy had some characters called Mr & Mrs Wanker.
Old Apr 8th 2006, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

ezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really niceezvanetree is just really nice

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Is this because w*nker is not considered a rude word in the US?
I would say that is very much the case. I am from Canada and I had never heard the word, let alone understood what it meant, until I lived with some British people overseas who used it frequently. I haven't live in North America for ages, but in my day one would never use the word "wanker" as slang for any sexual act--it just wasn't part of anyone's vocabulary. I am sure this is still the case today and the use of the word 'wanker' in this advert is probably considered just a word British people use to mean "idiot" or whatever. For a lot of people listening to this ad, I wouldn't be surprised it is the first time they hear the word.