Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

have decided to take the plunge !

have decided to take the plunge !

Old Jul 21st 2011, 12:38 pm
Just Joined

russnev is an unknown quantity at this point
Default have decided to take the plunge !

hi
fiirst time so bear with me !
have only just decided to emigrate. i am in the process of trying to get on an access to nursing couse ( 1 year ) and then i can do midwifery next year. we have had a look at areas etc but are still a bit clueless on how much this will initially cost ( visas medicals reckies etc ) before the move. can anyone tell us how much roughly the costs involved and time scales as we will have to save for this . we will be a family of four ( our daughter will be at uni ) and will have a child 12 years plus and a adult child with autism. looking at hervey bay or bundaberg area. so any info on this would be gratefully received !
Ev
Old Jul 21st 2011, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Kamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud ofKamie26 has much to be proud of
Default Re: have decided to take the plunge !

Before you start looking at costs (which are a lot btw)

You really need to see what visa you may be entitled to http://www.immi.gov.au/visa wizard/ and go from there.

I'll be the first to admit that I am not fully aware of all the conditions attached to different working visas however I am under the assumption that once you qualify, for say nursing you have to have a couple of years worth of work experience as well to be able to qualify for a visa. If this is incorrect, I am sure that someone will be along to point you in the right direction.

Also, you may want to have a search on the forums in relation to your son's autism It may be different because he is an adult, but from what I have read around here, autism can be one of the things that can cause someone to fail their medicals, therefor stoping the visa grant. It may be wise to seek out an agent that has experience with medical issues. There are a couple that are recommended on here, there names escape me just at the present time.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably more than a few years away of being able to apply if you have only just applied for a nursing course. So visa costs and timings will have changed and you might as well just look into it nearer the time. My process cost £3k but it can be more like £5-7k for a larger family and if you use an agent.

There are some potential problems with your situation though, autistic son and also you mentioned a child at university, are you planning for everyone to move? Because if they have finished university and started work by the time you are ready then they won't be able to come on your application.

I agree with previous poster, you need to see an agent before you get your hope up, try George Lombard in Sydney.

Last edited by Bermudashorts; Jul 21st 2011 at 6:55 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Dewsbury, West Yorkshire but aiming for distant shores....
Reaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to beholdReaver is a splendid one to behold

Haha good job I realised I had posted in the Australian forums before I made myself look a TOTAL pillok!!
Old Jul 21st 2011, 9:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Yes George Lombard or Peter Bollard would be the ones to go to to talk visas. As your child with autism is adult and I am reading between the lines that s/he is dependent on you, I am sorry to say that your chances of getting a visa are quite slim. If the child with disability is likely to cost the Australian tax payer a lot of money in care/therapies/pensions/etc then you are likely to get knocked back. Those who seem to have been granted visas with kids with autism tend to have kids who are high functioning and likely to live independently. So talking to an agent before you get too enmeshed in the process might be a really good idea.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:20 am
BE Forum Addict

pumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond reputepumpkin blossom has a reputation beyond repute

It doesn't sound like your chances are very high. Adult kids who are not in full time education can not come with you, and it sounds like you will have two by the time you finish your course.
Also, how old would you be at the point of applying? There are age limits, and if you have two adult kids I would guess you would be very close already, so by the time you finish the course it may be too late.

If you are just training to be able to go to oz I would really research hard first, and remember that the rules change very often, so even if it looks good now, it might not by the time you finish.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 9:42 am
Just Joined

my son has high functioning autism ( aspergers syndrome ) he is very bright and will be going to college after school ( mainstream ) . my daughter will be staying to finish her uni course so wont be going. my other daughter will be around 12 . because ive noticed that there can be problems with people that are autisic this is why i am looking in to it early. my so son will be able to live independantly. i am 34 now.
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 10:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by russnev
my son has high functioning autism ( aspergers syndrome ) he is very bright and will be going to college after school ( mainstream ) . my daughter will be staying to finish her uni course so wont be going. my other daughter will be around 12 . because ive noticed that there can be problems with people that are autisic this is why i am looking in to it early. my so son will be able to live independantly. i am 34 now.
The autism could still prove a problem - for an adult to come with you, you would have to prove he is dependent on you financially and this not working. I could then imagine a catch-22 situation where if he doesn't work, so is dependent on you, his lack of independence would make the autism too great a problem for you all to get visas.
As suggested already have a chat with an agent - Quoll has mentioned two of the best around in this kind of field.
Old Jul 24th 2011, 9:20 am
Just Joined

Thank you will look in to it !