Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Have arrived - presently in Tamworth

Have arrived - presently in Tamworth

Old Apr 18th 2009, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Have arrived - presently in Tamworth

Finally arrived in Oz after about 3 years taken getting the PR visa and then the slow slog to sell the house....

Dogs all arrived in quarantine and are fine, which was a major worry all the way through the process it concerned me more than anything.

Anyway, have been to Tamworth, NSW for a few days found a lovely house with 5 acres that we really like and will probably put an offer in on Monday, does anyone on here live in Tamworth and have any information regarding work, (hubby a builder) and general stuff in the area.

It really looked and from what people we spoke to said a real up and coming area

Many thanks
Old Apr 18th 2009, 11:30 pm
Richard & Nikki

dickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to alldickchap is a name known to all
Default Re: Have arrived - presently in Tamworth

I don't live in Tamworth but just wanted to wish you luck in your new life. It seems that so far things are going well for you. Good luck on the job front. Enjoy.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 12:04 am
Just Joined

cfcfree will become famous soon enough

Dont have much contacts up there, suspect best way would just be reading locals newspaper and cold calling.

Actually the YHA (right across from railway) owner, I think called Carol, is a mine of information on work going on around in the area, might be worth popping in for a chat even to get a few phone numbers.

in the current climate i'd say just try to get some dollars coming in and look from there to attain the contacts to get the ideal role

cfcfree
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:33 am
sjo
Forum Regular

sjo will become famous soon enough

Hi Wendy66,

From what I know the building work has slowed down in the area, but there are always jobs in other fields - such as at the abbattoirs off Gunnedah Road and the chook farms located all around Tamworth. Might be worth starting somewhere like that until you make some contacts in other fields - that way you've got money coming in while you look around.

Tamkit Homes in Taminda, Tamworth, often are looking for tradespeople to work for them on projects so might be worth contacting them too.

Tamworth can be a great place to live and work, it has a big country town feel and lots of ammenities for families. The place has 2 Country Music Festivals each year which liven the place up a lot. In my opinion, you could do a lot worse than settling here, but it sometimes takes a bit to find your feet - although the locals are generally pretty friendly and accepting.

I live and work in the area, so let me know if you want some help with anything.

Good luck and enjoy!
Old Apr 19th 2009, 5:54 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wendy66
Finally arrived in Oz after about 3 years taken getting the PR visa and then the slow slog to sell the house....
Congratulations - hope you have a successful settling in period.
Old Apr 19th 2009, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sjo
Hi Wendy66,

From what I know the building work has slowed down in the area, but there are always jobs in other fields - such as at the abbattoirs off Gunnedah Road and the chook farms located all around Tamworth. Might be worth starting somewhere like that until you make some contacts in other fields - that way you've got money coming in while you look around.

Tamkit Homes in Taminda, Tamworth, often are looking for tradespeople to work for them on projects so might be worth contacting them too.

Tamworth can be a great place to live and work, it has a big country town feel and lots of ammenities for families. The place has 2 Country Music Festivals each year which liven the place up a lot. In my opinion, you could do a lot worse than settling here, but it sometimes takes a bit to find your feet - although the locals are generally pretty friendly and accepting.

I live and work in the area, so let me know if you want some help with anything.

Good luck and enjoy!
Many thanks, can you pm your details then at least we could meet up
Old Apr 19th 2009, 7:21 am
Forum Regular

Oakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to allOakwood 2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Wendy66

Dogs all arrived in quarantine and are fine, which was a major worry all the way through the process it concerned me more than anything.

Anyway, have been to Tamworth, NSW for a few days found a lovely house with 5 acres that we really like and will probably put an offer in on Monday, does anyone on here live in Tamworth and have any information regarding work, (hubby a builder) and general stuff in the area.

It really looked and from what people we spoke to said a real up and coming area

Many thanks

Sorry dont live in Tamworth but i am a country and Western fan.
I think the Country musical festival is held there in the summer as a previous poster has said
so i would think it will attract quite an influx of country music fans up to 50,000 people should create a bit of local work

Best of Luck Oakwood 2

Last edited by Oakwood 2; Apr 19th 2009 at 7:39 am.