Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Hates and Dislikes since living in Australia.

Hates and Dislikes since living in Australia.

Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:10 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future
Default Re: Hates and Dislikes since living in Australia.

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Great website, i copied down a recipie and ordered my cow on line.

http://sify.com/shopping/product_det...rodid=13458104

Finally home shopping comes to OZ
Howabout givin' it a whirl - try rubbing it behind the ears:

Maid In Manhattan
Old Aug 31st 2005, 7:11 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Ceri
There is a good reason for some of these rules, take the playgroup one, generally speaking:
Many kids here do not get immunised, some parents choice ( I'm not talking about the parents who have a very good reason for not immunising their children ,like a known life threatening severe reaction to the immunisations) - but what they (the ones who have no good medical reason not to get them immunised) fail to realise ( or don't care attitude)is that they are putting other children at risk with their own selfish actions

A good friend of mine is pregnant, her immunity to rubella is zilch ( even though she says she had it as a child, and thought she was immune until blood tests showed otherwise)- If she picks up rubella now while pregnant there is a good chance the child will be born with deformities. I think it's something like 90 odd percent of her child being born with severe deformities if she picks up rubella in the first three or four months of her pregnancy. The chances go down further along the pregnancy 30 per cent etc etc ( a doctor or a nurse can confirm what I'm saying if there are any on here ) . She has been told to avoid children as the risk is too high, and working in childcare is not a good idea at the moment.for her.

This is one of the reasons you fill out all those forms stating the immunisations, diseases etc at playgroups for your children - why should any parent with their personal selfish beliefs/choices put another child or adult at risk ?

If some parents don't like it, find another playgroup. you've got choices, but when your choices infringe on others, it is not unfair to put certain rules onto things.

If everyone did the "right thing" there would be no need for some of the "stupid" rules.

Likes- rules that are there to protect the majority from those who are selfish/stupid in life
dislikes - rules that dangerously infringe on civil liberties.

Likes - nature
Dislikes - people who move into an environment and want to kill that natural environment/animals that they don't understand/don't like . Fear in some people is often caused by their lack of understanding. People fear what they do not understand.

Likes -The noisy birds
dislikes - noise which infringes on the natural peace , noise made from inanimate objects, such as noisy people with their lawnmowers, TV's etc etc
immensely dislikes - Birds in cages, as pets , it should be banned. Or perhaps tie the owners legs together, and lock them up in a cage to live.

Likes - cats, dogs etc
dislikes - some irresponsible owners of the above . dislikes pesticides, cultured lawns, bulldozers, population of the pest called humans destroying what is around them by their made pollution and diseases.

Likes the irony of it all
dislikes people who pass the buck, and have not got the mentality to look at the cause.

Likes the rain and sun
dislikes people who use weather as an excuse for their pure laziness.

dislikes - mindless TV programmes, soaps etc etc
Likes - really likes the "off" button

Likes the individuality of humans
dislikes people who stereotype's people, races, nations.

dislikes the word charv etc ,but there again I wasn't brought up like that - to look down on people less fortunate than myself.
Normally people who use these words are the ones with no breeding, manners. Pot calling kettle black in most cases if you look at the people who use this type of language.
Likes - non judgmental people, people who don't look down on others less fortunate than themselves.

likes fishing licences - not that you need one here in QLD for saltwater, but it's a good idea - they use the money to put back into the stocks, and research - Boat licence - of course you should have one, what makes you think you should have the right to jump behind any engine and put other people and your own life at risk. Trailer - it needs to be roadworthy, again you are putting others at risk if you think you can have no rego ( both a boat licence and a trailer licence is cheap as chips). Freshwater fishing is only 60 odd dollars a year, and allows you to fish in all stated impoundments in the list you get when you take out your licence in Qld - you need a freshwater licence for many stocked places in in The Uk too. money is used to stock the fish.

dislikes - people wanting something for free, but want all the benefits from others paying for it.

Likes freshly cooked beetroot on a plate.
dislikes Beetroot in sandwiches and burgers
Like: This post.

I agree with everything in it, but have one question Ceri. What do you suggest I do with the Cockatiel I have in a cage because he arrived here (flew in through our back door), obviously tame, and fleeing for his life from crows and magpies? I hate any bird in a cage, but what do I do about this one now except try to keep him happy and safe?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 8:04 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Thats better. I promise if we ever find some acerage the first thing will be buy a cow
I'll sell you one:
http://www.hartill.net/Hindmarsh_Isl.../IMG_4484.html

she's 5 foot tall now.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:21 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Wouldn't last a week without yer Paki dairymaid.
Umm when you say paki are you refering to pakistanis or am I missing something?
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:47 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Hates and Dislikes since living in Australia.

Originally Posted by Flutterscutter
I also dislike the fact they spend millions supporting 5 different state governments, umpteen councils within that, AND a federal one for a population a third the size of the UK!
In a country that's three time the size of Europe, it's not practical to try and run the country by remote control from a tiny little government in the ACT. State government makes sense.

England also has umpteen councils; considerably more than Australia's, I'm guessing.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Aug 31st 2005 at 9:49 am.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 9:57 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by meelie
Umm when you say paki are you refering to pakistanis or am I missing something?
A Pak is a Paki citizen of Pakistan. You missed a bit.
Old Aug 31st 2005, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

I miss a decent takeway even though I know they are bad for me. Here in Tassie you cant get a decent chinese takeway- all I want is Hot and sour and crispy duck pancakes. Also the indian restaurants taste different too- not bad , just different- sometimes you just crave familiar stuff.
The supermarkets are rubbish - I sooooo miss Waitrose !!!
What else, mmmmmm - oh yes Commonwealth bank who make you feel that they are doing you a favour by letting you put your considerable amount of money with them !!!!!
Thats it, finished now and feel much better- great thread !!

Nat xx
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

annajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura aboutannajw has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Hates and Dislikes since living in Australia.

Originally Posted by Ceri
There is a good reason for some of these rules, take the playgroup one, generally speaking:
Many kids here do not get immunised, some parents choice ( I'm not talking about the parents who have a very good reason for not immunising their children ,like a known life threatening severe reaction to the immunisations) - but what they (the ones who have no good medical reason not to get them immunised) fail to realise ( or don't care attitude)is that they are putting other children at risk with their own selfish actions

A good friend of mine is pregnant, her immunity to rubella is zilch ( even though she says she had it as a child, and thought she was immune until blood tests showed otherwise)- If she picks up rubella now while pregnant there is a good chance the child will be born with deformities. I think it's something like 90 odd percent of her child being born with severe deformities if she picks up rubella in the first three or four months of her pregnancy. The chances go down further along the pregnancy 30 per cent etc etc ( a doctor or a nurse can confirm what I'm saying if there are any on here ) . She has been told to avoid children as the risk is too high, and working in childcare is not a good idea at the moment.for her.

This is one of the reasons you fill out all those forms stating the immunisations, diseases etc at playgroups for your children - why should any parent with their personal selfish beliefs/choices put another child or adult at risk ?

If some parents don't like it, find another playgroup. you've got choices, but when your choices infringe on others, it is not unfair to put certain rules onto things.

If everyone did the "right thing" there would be no need for some of the "stupid" rules.

Likes- rules that are there to protect the majority from those who are selfish/stupid in life
dislikes - rules that dangerously infringe on civil liberties.

Likes - nature
Dislikes - people who move into an environment and want to kill that natural environment/animals that they don't understand/don't like . Fear in some people is often caused by their lack of understanding. People fear what they do not understand.

Likes -The noisy birds
dislikes - noise which infringes on the natural peace , noise made from inanimate objects, such as noisy people with their lawnmowers, TV's etc etc
immensely dislikes - Birds in cages, as pets , it should be banned. Or perhaps tie the owners legs together, and lock them up in a cage to live.

Likes - cats, dogs etc
dislikes - some irresponsible owners of the above . dislikes pesticides, cultured lawns, bulldozers, population of the pest called humans destroying what is around them by their made pollution and diseases.

Likes the irony of it all
dislikes people who pass the buck, and have not got the mentality to look at the cause.

Likes the rain and sun
dislikes people who use weather as an excuse for their pure laziness.

dislikes - mindless TV programmes, soaps etc etc
Likes - really likes the "off" button

Likes the individuality of humans
dislikes people who stereotype's people, races, nations.

dislikes the word charv etc ,but there again I wasn't brought up like that - to look down on people less fortunate than myself.
Normally people who use these words are the ones with no breeding, manners. Pot calling kettle black in most cases if you look at the people who use this type of language.
Likes - non judgmental people, people who don't look down on others less fortunate than themselves.

likes fishing licences - not that you need one here in QLD for saltwater, but it's a good idea - they use the money to put back into the stocks, and research - Boat licence - of course you should have one, what makes you think you should have the right to jump behind any engine and put other people and your own life at risk. Trailer - it needs to be roadworthy, again you are putting others at risk if you think you can have no rego ( both a boat licence and a trailer licence is cheap as chips). Freshwater fishing is only 60 odd dollars a year, and allows you to fish in all stated impoundments in the list you get when you take out your licence in Qld - you need a freshwater licence for many stocked places in in The Uk too. money is used to stock the fish.

dislikes - people wanting something for free, but want all the benefits from others paying for it.

Likes freshly cooked beetroot on a plate.
dislikes Beetroot in sandwiches and burgers
This is great!

But surely beetroot in burgers are the best thing ever?!

Not talking about McDonald type burgers but the proper ones made at Fish&Chip shops..

Yum
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:21 am
BE Enthusiast

TopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to beholdTopCat3 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by BLC
If you have a cat, ours used to bring them in for afternoon snacks :scared:
Yum Yum!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 11:53 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
A Pak is a Paki citizen of Pakistan. You missed a bit.
Sounds like a racist term to me and considering I am married to an Indian man I could take offence at your terms!
Old Aug 31st 2005, 12:03 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
2. The size of the country and weak media mean you have little national identity or community spirit. Community spirit exists on a local level, but events in Brisbane have little relevance to Sydney ect, whereas in the UK Summer, all the festivals, media hype mean you feel like you share in national going ons.

Paul.
Probably cos it's a bluddy long way away and has no relevance to most people. Telling someone in Edinburgh about the Glastonbury festival is slightly different from telling someone in Adelaide about a festival in Brissie

Can people please stop being offended by something someone says who they don't know. LIFE IS TOO PIGGIN SHORT.

Beetroot is evil foul stuff and if it gets put on my plate most of the food gets left. All if there is a speck of pink on it :scared:
Old Sep 1st 2005, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Desire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to beholdDesire is a splendid one to behold

worried because i've only been here 3 months and my list of dislikes is growing!

1. Aussies they have no humour, or shall i say very different to ours.
2. Miss uk supermarkets, their food stores are as good as our corner shops.
3. Feeling save whilst driving on the roads.
4. Radiators. It's freezing at night.
5. English pub
6. Oz tv, i find myself watching old uk programmes i would never of dreamed of watching back in the uk.
7. Next.
8. English football (and i'm a girl, not sure how you male footie fans cope)
9. Miss not working (can't believed i've said that one!
10.The fact that my hubby loves it here.

v
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:22 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Desire
8. English football (and i'm a girl, not sure how you male footie fans cope)

v

God I miss English Football, although the A league has finally started...

the only thing I dislike about living here, is missing my mates back in the UK, especially when they e mail to gloat about the latest festival they have just got back from... but hey..there are so many positives about living here, its just not comparible to living in the UK
Old Sep 1st 2005, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

The open roads - I much preferred the congestion of the UK
Fresh food here - I much preferred the processed food in Tescos, especially the added water, salt & preservatives to which come in the ready meals
The lack of Political correctness here
Cold beer & spacious pubs - I much preferred smoky packed pubs serving lager at room temperature
A complete lack of reality TV with D list Celebs - why can't we have the ex members of an 80s pop group, the 3rd place finalist in Big Brother 2001 & DJs from the 70s spending two weeks in the jungle
Tony Blair, his sincerity & ability
Nowhere to buy white lightning cider
Charlie is way overpriced - hardly anyone is on it
No TV shows on top tens
etc etc