Hate Flying

Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Hate Flying

Hiya,

Does anyone else on here hate flying?

I'm absolutely dreading it and will be flying on my own Flight not booked yet, but will hopefully be going sometime in November.

Has anyone gone to the doctors to get tablets to help unstress you on the flight? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Su
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:05 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hate Flying

Originally Posted by suzysu
Hiya,

I'm absolutely dreading it and will be flying on my own Flight not booked yet, but will hopefully be going sometime in November.

Has anyone gone to the doctors to get tablets to help unstress you on the flight? Any suggestions would be appreciated

Su
Its just like going into a motel....you can watch crappy tv, get room service of ordinary food, and you can hear other people snoring through the flimsy walls
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:11 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,

Im a student pilot and i love flying, fear of flying is all in the mind, try and not think about it, if you feel a little bump during the flight just go with it don't fight it, it's worse, you can buy medicine from your local chemist shop to help the fear of flying, but there are side effects.

Try and listen to music, read a book something to take your mind of flying.

Regards,
Pedro
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Hiya,

Su
Hi Su

I can really sympathise with you. I hate flying too. I have tried Diazepam 5mg to calm me down - Grayling gave me some great advice on here too if you want to search for that.

I flew to Oz in August this year and the week before attended Virtual Aviation's flight simulator course - this really helped me. It desensitises you to turbulence etc. You actually get to sit in the pilot's seat and have a go at landing in fog!!

It was my second flight to Oz and I couldn't believe the difference it made - I actually slept for part of the journey - not like me at all I usually resemble a merecat!

The best piece of advice for me was, Turbulence is uncomfortable but NOT dangerous.

You will be fine - it's your brain you need to keep active to stop it running away with you - so get a puzzle book or a narrated novel to distract you.

Hope this helps.

Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:54 pm
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

Hello

Depends the level of Turbulence, and it IS dangerous, aircraft have stress levels, but don't worry you hardly encounter severe turbulence, pilot's are always nice to divert the route to make passenger feel confortable and all of my years flying has a passenger i have never encountered severe turbulence, and as a student pilot we always divert

So rest assured, nothing to worry about.

Pedro
Old Oct 20th 2004, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

suzysu is an unknown quantity at this point

Its not the actual flying bit i hate, its being confined in the plane and its as soon as the door shuts i get in a panic.
My boyfriend has suggested that i go business class, as then i will have more room and travel in abit more luxury.
Would anyone suggest doing the fear of flying courses for my problem? Also do the tablets help you to chill out abit more?
Im so looking forward to going over to Oz now, its just the flying that is putting a negative angle on it for me.

Su
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:19 pm
sula

(Depends the level of Turbulence, and it IS dangerous)

Great, that is really reassuring!!!

I hate flying but have never allowed it to stop me from travelling. Over the years I have tried several things and have found that meditation and sitting next to a window helps. I can't eat as I feel too anxious but always make sure that I carry water to keep hydrated.Pills and alcohol can actually make you feel worse in my experience.

A trip to Australia is well worth a couple of days anxiety!

Good luck!
Sula

Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:21 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the actual flying bit i hate, its being confined in the plane and its as soon as the door shuts i get in a panic.
My boyfriend has suggested that i go business class, as then i will have more room and travel in abit more luxury.
Would anyone suggest doing the fear of flying courses for my problem? Also do the tablets help you to chill out abit more?
Im so looking forward to going over to Oz now, its just the flying that is putting a negative angle on it for me.

Su
Suzysu
I can give you some advice if you Want. Send me a PM.
I just got back from America yesterday and am a bit knackered so may take a while to say anything sensible.
I have worked with several flying phobics over the years.

Good luck

G
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:28 pm
G'day Mate

Great, that is really reassuring!!!
Just being realistic, not trying to scare people off, by the way i was reassuring if you read carefully what i wrote.

Regards,
Pedro
Old Oct 20th 2004, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

sunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura aboutsunny side up has a spectacular aura about

hi suzysu,

know exactly what u mean - i'm fine once we're up in the air, but sitting there waiting for the plane to take off is just too scary - nowhere to run, all these people around you....all strangers (which makes it worse, i think)
i'll be flying to perth in december and i'm this close to getting a businessclass ticket, just to avoid that crowded feeling.
its bloody expensive, but i think it'll be worth it - not having that extra 'flying-stress' in those last days - they'll be bad enough without it....

good luck!

tanja
Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:08 pm
sula

[QUOTE=Boomerang]Just being realistic, not trying to scare people off, by the way i was reassuring if you read carefully what i wrote.

Sorry but it didn't reassure me! Turbulance is the thing that freaks me out! During turbulance I really try and tell myself that it's quite normal and not dangerous, so to hear that it can be does not help, even if true!!

I much prefer to hear that turbulance is uncomfortable but not dangerous,as quoted by remmie1.

I wasn't having a go Boomerang, you just touched a nerve in the irrational side of my brain!! :scared:

Sula

Old Oct 20th 2004, 2:59 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm uncomfortable with flying also :scared:

Living on the Isle of Man doesn't help as I'm often away either watching football or on business.

Try this website where real airline pilots attempt to calm your jitters...

www.fearofflying.com

When we validate, I'm becoming a vailum junkie for the day

Two or three tablets and a few golden throat charmers should see me through nicely.

Take it easy.

Three Legs
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:01 pm
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

Valium...*ahem*

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I'm uncomfortable with flying also :scared:

Living on the Isle of Man doesn't help as I'm often away either watching football or on business.

Try this website where real airline pilots attempt to calm your jitters...

www.fearofflying.com

When we validate, I'm becoming a vailum junkie for the day

Two or three tablets and a few golden throat charmers should see me through nicely.

Take it easy.

Three Legs
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Try here: http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com/ I found the site very informative and it does help when you know what all the noises and 'bings' are! (and the course is free!)

Last edited by Salli; Oct 20th 2004 at 3:49 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 3:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

Dont worry turbulence is uncomfortable but not dangerous. No plane has ever crashed because of Turbulence. Relax and try and have a nice journey.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.