Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has the recession put you off going?

has the recession put you off going?

Old Apr 16th 2009, 10:55 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the recession put you off going?

Originally Posted by Davy
I didn't say it was going to be easy. What I said was there's no point whinging about it. Besides some-one said there's a guy at the airport handing out $50 notes when you arrive. Just incase I'll bring the lepricons pot of gold.Davy
Old Apr 17th 2009, 10:44 am
happy here :)

PamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to beholdPamE is a splendid one to behold

No it hasn't put us off going. When we started the application process there was no recession, and being as we have a temp state sponsored visa not PR it's now or never so we really don't have any choice but to go, after so much money and time spent getting that lovely wee label!! Perhaps would be more cautious if had kids and a house in UK, but we have no responsibilities except ourselves & some savings behind us. All the best to everyone making their move in the next few months
Old Apr 17th 2009, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

It hasn't put us off going - although we're still trying to sell our house before leaving. We're just more cautious now though than we would have been over a year ago, especially having kids. We've had our visa's for 2 years now..and we're going through the process again of contacting all the people we met with during our validation trip late 2007 regarding work opportunities just to see what the current state of play is for my OH's trade...altho we know it's hard for anyone to predict the future...
Our biggest worry is that we're both working here at the moment - and when we do sell our house it's going to be for a lot less than we originally hoped for when we started this process over 3 years ago. We want to sell, but then rent here for a while & see how the recession works out both in the UK & Oz for the rest of this year...For us our main concern at the moment is getting into a position where once we decide to go we can just up & leave - and to do that we need that buyer for our house. (not in a position financially to just rent the house out).
I have been in close contact with many people that have emigrated over the last 3 years & i've yet to come across anyone that hasn't found one part of their new life a struggle - whether it be finance related or adapting to the new lifestyle etc....everyone is different.
I'm probably going to end up going armed with too much info about real costs / real job situations etc - but i'm that way inclined!
I think like many - once the bug to at least try a new way of life has got you - you sometimes just have to give it a go. Those that go expecting things not to work out - stand a much higher chance of things not working out than those that try to look forward more positively. Personally I dont want to look back in 20years and wonder what if?
Old Apr 17th 2009, 12:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

TakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond reputeTakenThePlunge has a reputation beyond repute

It's not putting us off, I'm struggling here, I may as well go and struggle in the sunshine

My fault for working in a job where the budget's always first to go (training)
Old Apr 25th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

I understand that people have worries etc but you guys should lay off Davy here. He has some very good points. We have just come back from Melbourne validating our visas and you can see why they call us whinging poms. Do any of you stop moaning about how hard your lives are? You have a fantastic opportunity to go to Australia and start a new life. Do you know what some people would give to have this?

I spoke to loads of people while over there and people on the way out there. As you know there are many, many immigrants who go from all over to live in oz and they all said the same thing. If you want to work getting something is 'easy easy easy.' Most didn't even have jobs lined up and were happy and supremely confident they would get something.

Okay I know its hard with kids but some of you need to stop moaning. Either go or don't go but don't knock those who have some balls
Old Apr 25th 2009, 8:17 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

why is erring on the side of caution in an economically unstable situation 'whinging'? i dont see anyone knocking anyone, just giving justification to their reasons as to why they have been put off going.
the recession has affected us personally and our plans = we dont have the money to go now ... oh laid off work ... thats a fact, and no amount of determination/dreaming/balls is going to get us over there with no money.
i have to be realistic.
the op asked a question, and many of us replied as to what our thoughts were - just cos you dont agree with others ideas doesnt mean they are wrong! and just cos we decide to be cautious doesnt mean we darent try anything new or dont have any balls.

Old Apr 25th 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
I understand that people have worries etc but you guys should lay off Davy here. He has some very good points. We have just come back from Melbourne validating our visas and you can see why they call us whinging poms. Do any of you stop moaning about how hard your lives are? You have a fantastic opportunity to go to Australia and start a new life. Do you know what some people would give to have this?

I spoke to loads of people while over there and people on the way out there. As you know there are many, many immigrants who go from all over to live in oz and they all said the same thing. If you want to work getting something is 'easy easy easy.' Most didn't even have jobs lined up and were happy and supremely confident they would get something.

Okay I know its hard with kids but some of you need to stop moaning. Either go or don't go but don't knock those who have some balls
If that is your opion then ok but play with your own balls most of us have minds & can use them
Old Apr 26th 2009, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by itxrd
I'd like to know where all these 'easy, easy,easy' to get jobs are? My OH has spent 6 months applying for jobs & I can tell you that where we are, it most certainly is not easy! We too were happy & confident when we first arrived but 6 months on & it looks somewhat different. Oh & last time I checked, he has a very fine set of balls!
I am not whinging about it at all. It is just the way it is at the moment.
I would never suppose to tell anyone wether they should move or not but if people ask, then I shall say how it is from my perspective!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

We live in regional WA(4 hour drive from Perth).moving back to Scotland when house sells (been in Australia 18 years).Food far more expensive where we are compared to UK,rates and water charges same.Electric going up 25%Petrol cheaper here but you tend to have to travel further,housing dearer,internet shamefully expensive,gas only able to use bottled gas in our town,no postie, have po box but mail takes forever,windy as shite and get windburn most of year.If very ill have to get RFDS to fly you down to Perth.On the bright side oh is self employed and has plenty of work on for the next 12 months or so.Maybe forgotten something,oh cars are expensive here but i think they last a bit longer (not if you live at the beach though).

SO DOES ANYONE FANCY MOVING TO JURIEN BAY AND BUYING MY HOME?,ITS ONLY 8 MONTHS OLD.!!!
Old Apr 26th 2009, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TandC23
No - it hasn't put us off going. But then we don't have a house to sell or any kids to worry about. We have a bit of money saved up, and are going to go for it! Can't stay in a holding pattern for ever.
Exactly the same situation as us. no kids, no house, a tiny amount of money(we sold our house years ago and spent the profits....doh!)

But we're giving it a go anyway - Perth for us. I will probably have a fixed term contract set up to go out with, with my current employer which is a MASSIVE bonus, but still got the butterlies and am a little worried.

We fly September we think. Really got to look at booking flights very soon to put a definite date on it.

Good luck to you and yours

James
Old Apr 26th 2009, 3:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sallyclaire
I'd like to know where all these 'easy, easy,easy' to get jobs are? My OH has spent 6 months applying for jobs & I can tell you that where we are, it most certainly is not easy! We too were happy & confident when we first arrived but 6 months on & it looks somewhat different. Oh & last time I checked, he has a very fine set of balls!
I am not whinging about it at all. It is just the way it is at the moment.
I would never suppose to tell anyone wether they should move or not but if people ask, then I shall say how it is from my perspective!
Hey SallyClaire

To be fair the guys i met were not professionals as such and said that you can get work easily but it may not be in your particular field. One was saying how he could always get work taxi driving if need be. Thats what i meant. I understand though that if your oh is looking for something in particular then if there's no work in that field then he can't create a job out of thin air.

Didn't mean to sound nasty guys. Its fair to say though that if you don't have money to live on for a while out of work and don't fancy taxi'ing etc then best bet is to ride the recession out at home. Unless you have a gigantic set of balls ;-)
Old Apr 26th 2009, 8:43 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: has the recession put you off going?

Recession hasn't put us off; on the contrary, it's made us want to get there sooner.
Old Apr 27th 2009, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Mine are so big I'll have to use 2 seats on the plane.Davy
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:25 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

hey davy are you still in ireland or have you left for australia?
Old Apr 27th 2009, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

G1ZmO will become famous soon enough

The recession hasnt put us off mostly because we only have one chance at emigrating as I'm 45 in 2010 and thereafter won't have any way of getting a permanent visa.

I'm a LOT worried about leaving a full time job here for the unknown job market in Oz but it might mean that we both have to take lower paid jobs just to get the same income from my job at the moment.

I'm also worried about what seems to be very high house prices in Melbourne in comparison to here.

But, full steam ahead......

Paul

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.