Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has the recession put you off going?

has the recession put you off going?

Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: has the recession put you off going?

Don't have my visa yet but definitely would not go at the moment. No siree, why give up jobs and sell house at a loss only to go and perhaps struggle over there.

I am not put off though. But lucky I can delay it until things start to look a bit better. When I go, I want the timing to be right to increase my chances of making a success of it.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

LINZI32 is on a distinguished road

Basically were CRAPPING it too...... we had hopes of moving in the sun better life for the kids and now dont know what to think, still definatly want to go because theres not much here and wont be when my kids are older....just need things to change with all the money problems in the world !!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

TandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant futureTandC23 has a brilliant future

No - it hasn't put us off going. But then we don't have a house to sell or any kids to worry about. We have a bit of money saved up, and are going to go for it! Can't stay in a holding pattern for ever.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:00 pm
Forum Regular

Ryem78 is an unknown quantity at this point

We're still going - we're fed up with London city living, we're contracting so aren't secure in our jobs anyway, we don't have kids to worry about just yet, and we're renting out our flat so don't need to worry about house prices...so we have nothing to lose!
But we're going to sit in Thailand for 2 months first hoping the worst of the storm will pass while we're sitting on a beach!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 1:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Steve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of lightSteve G is a glorious beacon of light

It hasn't put us off. We arrived in Brisbane last week with no job to go to, but we are optimistic about things. We have waited too long for this to be put off by a recession!!

I would rather tough it out here than in England!!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

fairydust300980 is on a distinguished road

We haven't been put off applying, yes hopefully things will be better by the time our visa comes through but the economic climate wont stop us, even with 2 kids.
We do have the additional help of family in oz but the last thing we would want to do would be to outstay our welcome too quickly!

We have friends who moved out to sydney 3 months ago, they have found it hard to get steady work but have left them selves open to what is out there, he was an IT manager here and now delivers veggies but they couldn't be happier they are enjoying what is available to them.

Good luck all, gloomy blighty ain't getting much prettier!!!
Old Mar 31st 2009, 4:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

nbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud ofnbn8 has much to be proud of

We have just applied for our visa and we are now renting a house. We are fingers crossed still hoping to head out early next year. Looking around jobs are still available for me secondary teaching QLD. OH a joiner so not looking so good for him but we still have about a year to wait and things may change slightly in that time. I dont want to leave it too much longer - if we are going to do this then I want to do it when the children are young. But who knows it has taken us this long to decide and if it really does not work then we can always return and I am sure that at least I will get work.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

In a word, No.

Could have put my life on hold but not prepared to wait now my mind is made up. Took redundancy so financial package has helped. Could have waited and still been laid off or be 1 of the lucky one's and then left with nothing, which I didn't want to risk.

Having no dependants and somewhere to stay on the cheap also helps.

I know I'm entitled to £60 a week benefit here and nothing in OZ but I'd rather be job hunting in OZ for a permanent job than temporary work here which is non existent.

My occupation is still on the revised state sponsorship list for Victoria so have to be optimistic but I'm being realistic and know its going to be tough.
Unlike the UK, having no mortgage in OZ will mean I'll be able to take a less paid job.

With my flat rented out and the mortgage covered, no turning back now.

Its all about weighing up the risk, different people have different levels of risk and some people are more willing to take that risk.

If people didn't take risks, the world would be a completely different place. Some great entrepreneurs of our time took great risks and succeeded , but they are the lucky few, loads have failed.
Old Mar 31st 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Sparky Making will become famous soon enoughSparky Making will become famous soon enough

Hasn't put us off going but making us think more. Husband hadn't planned on working for a while until we had settled the kids in but obviously does need to work at some point!

Was going to sale house but not sure if we would be better renting for a year to see how things go.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 12:08 pm
Account Closed

derekgoforth is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bluenose
In a word, No.

Could have put my life on hold but not prepared to wait now my mind is made up. Took redundancy so financial package has helped. Could have waited and still been laid off or be 1 of the lucky one's and then left with nothing, which I didn't want to risk.

Having no dependants and somewhere to stay on the cheap also helps.

I know I'm entitled to £60 a week benefit here and nothing in OZ but I'd rather be job hunting in OZ for a permanent job than temporary work here which is non existent.

My occupation is still on the revised state sponsorship list for Victoria so have to be optimistic but I'm being realistic and know its going to be tough.
Unlike the UK, having no mortgage in OZ will mean I'll be able to take a less paid job.

With my flat rented out and the mortgage covered, no turning back now.

Its all about weighing up the risk, different people have different levels of risk and some people are more willing to take that risk.

If people didn't take risks, the world would be a completely different place. Some great entrepreneurs of our time took great risks and succeeded , but they are the lucky few, loads have failed.

i really admire your gumption blue, good on ya.
Old Apr 9th 2009, 11:17 pm
Forum Regular

Bluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant futureBluenose has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by derekgoforth
i really admire your gumption blue, good on ya.
Thanks derekgoforth, you only get on life so you may as well live it. I don't want the what if scenario, need to get the OZ thing out of my system once and for all.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

SmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the roughSmogMonster is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Bluenose
Thanks derekgoforth, you only get on life so you may as well live it. I don't want the what if scenario, need to get the OZ thing out of my system once and for all.
Not put off at all. No house to sell, both nurses, state sponsorship in Tas. Cant wait.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We are validating our visas in the summer before they expire in December. The chances are to be honest that for financial reasons we probably won't emigrate. With the exchange rate being so dire, the potentially large amount of money lost on our house sale and job uncertainty mean that the pressure it would put on us would not allow us to live the dream in any event. We'll make the final decision when we come back, but it's not looking hopeful.
Old Apr 12th 2009, 3:20 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

We decided not to go. I was offered a job (nurse) but we thought it unlikely that my OH would get work.
I'm not prepared to take the risk. My Mum and Dad lost their house in the
80's recession and never fully recovered. I don't want that to happen to me. I took lots of risks before I had kids but I won't do it now. Boring? Maybe, but security is important to me.
In a couple of years time, when things improve economically, we may try again
Old Apr 12th 2009, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

It hasn't put us off the idea totally...but we're just not heading over as quickly as we would have...we already have our 175, validated, but if we stay put for the time being, our costs are a lot lower...so, I guess we'll see where things are by sept/oct...we're not leaving until we have some firm job prospects.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.