Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has the recession put you off going?

has the recession put you off going?

Old Apr 29th 2009, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

mariandyok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: has the recession put you off going?

Well, that's great. I got my old job back too.

Had a phone call last night and was offered my job back in the Army. No worries of being deployed to sunny climates as it is desk bound, I'll ride the next 4 years out in UK and then decide whether to come back here just before my visa runs out. In stead of losing 2k a month I can now bank it.

I will miss the Gold Coast, especially Burleigh Heads and the great people we've met. Any other time and we would have stayed for sure. The kids are the wrong age and jobs are not aplenty.....good luck to all who come to this beautiful country and all that are leaving...times are a changing

Andy
Old Apr 30th 2009, 8:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mariandyok
Well, that's great. I got my old job back too.

Had a phone call last night and was offered my job back in the Army. No worries of being deployed to sunny climates as it is desk bound, I'll ride the next 4 years out in UK and then decide whether to come back here just before my visa runs out. In stead of losing 2k a month I can now bank it.

I will miss the Gold Coast, especially Burleigh Heads and the great people we've met. Any other time and we would have stayed for sure. The kids are the wrong age and jobs are not aplenty.....good luck to all who come to this beautiful country and all that are leaving...times are a changing

Andy
Glad to hear that things are working out well for you.
Good luck
Old Apr 30th 2009, 11:02 am
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
im a nurse too, so hopefully the jobs will always be aplenty
The swine flu may keep you in work

Carol
Old Apr 30th 2009, 1:17 pm
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BAY
How many people are chasing each job in the UK ? Are job prospects any better in the UK ?
Yes, far better because if your a trade you have all your mates and contacts to fall back on if you find yourself out of work, plus the benefit system to carry you through. It you just land on these shores your on your own, very on your own with no back up. Tradies moving out here in the present job climate are insane.
Old May 1st 2009, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice571090 is just really nice

if your going to make the move now or soon in this economic climate then i would say the safest way to do it is for one of you to come over and scope the place out and try and secure a job , best thing to do is to get here , hire a cheap car , get cheap accomodation and drive around all the companies that are in your profession and cold call ,hand them your cv and you may get an interview , people like to see a face , if you have children then bring out with you minimum $30,000 set yourself a realistic scope of 3 months , if you dont secure a job in that time then the best thing to do is return to the uk and wait till the situation gets better . that is what i did , my partner stayed in the uk until i secured a job , that way one of you has got a job and the bills still gets paid , good luck whatever you decide.
Old May 1st 2009, 1:47 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pingpong
Yes, far better because if your a trade you have all your mates and contacts to fall back on if you find yourself out of work, plus the benefit system to carry you through. It you just land on these shores your on your own, very on your own with no back up. Tradies moving out here in the present job climate are insane.
Wake UP!

all your mates will be in the same boat, are they going to pass any work that they desperately need over to someone else, I DON'T THINK SO. all your contacts will be saying "can't afford to have any work done at the moment"

so yeah, if you can suffer the indignity of having to go down the social, spend 3 days filling out forms, then be told "as you are a UK citizen, and not an Asylum seeker, you will not get any housing help", and then be expected to live on 60 quid a week, then go for it i say.

if not stay where you are and stop complaining

Just my opinion of course
Old May 2nd 2009, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie

What exactly do you expect people to live on in Aus if they have no work?
Old May 2nd 2009, 1:55 am
Recession Surfing 2006 ->

Zambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond reputeZambia has a reputation beyond repute

Hmm here's my two cents before I start drinking as its the weekend and I need to get loaded before getting back to 0.00 for Monday.

1. If you have paid for the whole visa you have already made a fairly big commitment to moving.

2. If you are justifying to a country where you have no job and no guarantee of one by stating you could lose a job in the UK, your not fooling anyone.

3. Moving costs a sh1tload of cash dont let anyone make you think it does not.

4. BC world is right it not warm here(Vic) at present

5. It is perfectly OK to state that you just want to move and you know its going to cost you and its going to be a risk but you have waited ages for a VISA and are sick of having your life on hold. Just have some cash to back it up.

6. Kids are not bound to the friends they make in school. Their friends should not even be a factor you are leaving your friends ergo they leave theirs,they get those choices when they start chipping in for rent.

7. Being out of work in the sun is no fun, if you think it is your not only wired to the moon you have a direct line.

Happy weekend folks
Old May 3rd 2009, 12:47 am
Account Closed

pingpong is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Darren-Debbie
Wake UP!

all your mates will be in the same boat, are they going to pass any work that they desperately need over to someone else, I DON'T THINK SO. all your contacts will be saying "can't afford to have any work done at the moment"

so yeah, if you can suffer the indignity of having to go down the social, spend 3 days filling out forms, then be told "as you are a UK citizen, and not an Asylum seeker, you will not get any housing help", and then be expected to live on 60 quid a week, then go for it i say.

wait till you get here bruv........
Old May 3rd 2009, 3:30 am
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi All just arrived in Oz. F**king class. Just about over the jet lag. I've applied for a few jobs online and i'm going serious job hunting on Tuesday. [Mondays labour day].I'll keep you all posted.Davy
Old May 3rd 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

we too have been planning to go for years.

You have indeed.................cant believe you are still in the UK!!
Old May 3rd 2009, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

good man davy well done ,enjoy your new surroundings and good luck
Old May 4th 2009, 9:31 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Cheers buddy your support is appreciated. Davy
Old May 5th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

whats the whether like ,we went to a wedding yesterday(mayday) in the balmoral hotel belfast rained most of the day and now this morning grey skys and heavy mizzle.
Old May 5th 2009, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by hannash
whats the whether like ,we went to a wedding yesterday(mayday) in the balmoral hotel belfast rained most of the day and now this morning grey skys and heavy mizzle.
It was a chilly 20C in Sydney today. Obviously in the UK this would be a heatwave!! at least in autumn/winter you don't get wet much, most days are clear blue skies :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.