Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has the recession put you off going?

has the recession put you off going?

Old Apr 12th 2009, 10:50 pm
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice
Default Re: has the recession put you off going?

No,we're going. Can't get the house sold so we're going to rent it and i'm a Spark so it'll be hard to find steady work. We've 3 kids,2 teenagers and a 4 yr old.
Even if there wasn't a recession surely everyone should realise the streets of Australia aren't lined with gold.
The cost of living in Australia is lower than U.K. and at least I'll be tanned and skint.
If you want it to work it's up to you to make it work.
Don't say 'but what if' or 'I've got a good life in the U.K. with a steady job.'
If your enjoying the U.K. so much why apply for a visa in the first place.
If you don't take a risk every-so-often then your better off dead.
Finally, I WAS PUT HERE FOR A GOOD TIME NOT A LONG TIME.
My advise is give yourself a good kick up the arse, wipe away your tears and start living your life.Davy
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:16 am

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davy
No,we're going. Can't get the house sold so we're going to rent it and i'm a Spark so it'll be hard to find steady work. We've 3 kids,2 teenagers and a 4 yr old.
Even if there wasn't a recession surely everyone should realise the streets of Australia aren't lined with gold.
The cost of living in Australia is lower than U.K. and at least I'll be tanned and skint.
Don't say 'but what if' or 'I've got a good life in the U.K. with a steady job.'
My advise is give yourself a good kick up the arse, wipe away your tears and start living your life.Davy

lucky old you - you must be quids in ... we arent all that lucky, so dont preach about giving ourselves a kick up the arse - if you dont have the financial security, it isnt going to work however positive your view is. And unless you are in a profession that is recession proof, work isnt going to come knocking at your door - read recent threads about job losses and new migrants not being able to find work ...
btw, read threads going back a few years just to get an idea on the cost of living ... you might find not everyone agrees the cost of living is cheaper ...
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

stu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to allstu66 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tiredwithtwins
lucky old you - you must be quids in ... we arent all that lucky, so dont preach about giving ourselves a kick up the arse - if you dont have the financial security, it isnt going to work however positive your view is. And unless you are in a profession that is recession proof, work isnt going to come knocking at your door - read recent threads about job losses and new migrants not being able to find work ...
btw, read threads going back a few years just to get an idea on the cost of living ... you might find not everyone agrees the cost of living is cheaper ...
been reading these threads with great interest ,we have been out in oz for 3 yrs now travelled extensivley and lived in melbourne 14 months ,been in northern nsw remainder i am a carpenter been in work all the time but work is really becoming scarce now ,if you are heading out here you would really need good contacts as its who you know not what you know.A s for the cost of living when getting paid in dollars the cost of living is by no means cheaper than the uk,you will not find any buy one get one free offers in supermarkets here.S o best of luck to all but come out here with your eyes wide open and a stash of money to see you through the bad times
Old Apr 13th 2009, 4:04 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

The cost of living in Australia is not lower than the UK, unless you came from London and are Living in Dubbo! In fact some things are more expensive. Food same, clothes expensive, cars same (petrol cheaper), drinking expensive in the city, holidays very expensive (no late deals here). If you are going to earn a decent wage you need to be within 30 mins of a big city and renting/ buying close to sydney or mel city is expensive. We have a 2 bed apt which is $650 a week unfurnished. We are here to enjoy ourselves not live in the outback for pennies and spend the daily grind on public transport or stuck in traffic jams.
You can't live the high life for pennies and earn big bucks otherwise we would all be doing it :-D
Old Apr 13th 2009, 7:36 am
Forum Regular

Davy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really niceDavy is just really nice

Hi All, We're not quids in. I simply don't see the point in whinging about the WORLD WIDE recession. I don't agree with U.K. being cheaper than Australia as well. In general, power, rates/council tax, heating/AC, your general food shopping are all cheaper in Australia.
The closer you live to ANY city the more you'll pay.
All i'm saying is whinging about the 'credit crunch' and putting your life on hold is pointless. No matter how sorry for yourself you feel there's always someone worse off. If you spent more time focusing on the positive side of your life whether in Australia or anywhere for that matter, maybe the wee differences wouldn't mean so much.
I think life can be tough where ever you live. If you want it to work you have to make it work.Davy
Old Apr 13th 2009, 9:45 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All, We're not quids in. I simply don't see the point in whinging about the WORLD WIDE recession. I don't agree with U.K. being cheaper than Australia as well. In general, power, rates/council tax, heating/AC, your general food shopping are all cheaper in Australia.
All i'm saying is whinging about the 'credit crunch' and putting your life on hold is pointless. No matter how sorry for yourself you feel there's always someone worse off. If you spent more time focusing on the positive side of your life whether in Australia or anywhere for that matter, maybe the wee differences wouldn't mean so much.
I think life can be tough where ever you live. If you want it to work you have to make it work.Davy
I don't think people are whinging Davy. It's just a very big risk to give up secure work in the current economic climate.
Migrants are not entitled to unemployment benefit for the first couple of years in Australia so if you are in a profession where work is drying up / hard to come by then you need to have a nest egg of money to tide you over.

There are lots of stories on here of people who have tried very hard to make it work but have struggled. Quite often it's down to timing, luck or contacts not to how hard someone has tried.
Good luck to you though - I hope things work out
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:00 pm
Forum Regular

hannash is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there davy ,i think you were the guy i was talking to a few months back about brisbane suburbs and stuff ,just seen your post there .a man from our town is a spark and hes home to lurgan for his brothers wedding although hes in sydney he says the electricians jobs like all the others are really drying up ,jobs are stopping in the middle and not starting up again.im a bricklayer but as im of the csl weve decided not to even try to sell our house until we find out whats the score, were still definitely going though nothings going to stop us and 2 kids going ,are you posting or youre wife ,every time i go on i have to say (me and my wife )nothing but women on this ????????????????????
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kapri
I don't think people are whinging Davy. It's just a very big risk to give up secure work in the current economic climate.
Migrants are not entitled to unemployment benefit for the first couple of years in Australia so if you are in a profession where work is drying up / hard to come by then you need to have a nest egg of money to tide you over.

There are lots of stories on here of people who have tried very hard to make it work but have struggled. Quite often it's down to timing, luck or contacts not to how hard someone has tried.
Good luck to you though - I hope things work out
that guy davy if hes anything like myself he probably doesn't no what unemployment is. as a bricklayer self-employed you simply cant be out of work its always been oneself who gets yourself the work if you want work you will get it but i no totally what you mean steady work chillder and all that
Old Apr 14th 2009, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

lastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nicelastere is just really nice

don't forget to post your return experience in the MBTUK for all of us to read. love'em!
Old Apr 14th 2009, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

bluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to allbluekipper is a name known to all

I didnt find it cheaper in Australia to the UK, a lot of stuff is way more expensive over there, but I must admit we still want to return, we know how tough it is, so there are no rose tinted specs on us this time round, but we are not heading out for at least a year. Lucky enough I have contacts for work, but if I didnt, I dont think i would just up and leave on a whim, Im all for positivity, but you also have to be realistic!

Bluekipper
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lastere
don't forget to post your return experience in the MBTUK for all of us to read. love'em!
what is m b t uk
Old Apr 14th 2009, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

what is mbtuk
Old Apr 15th 2009, 2:09 am
Forum Regular

Inglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura aboutInglewhite has a spectacular aura about

moving back to the uk forum
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:20 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

so, davy, if you dont have any money and no job how do you expect to support yourselves?

you surely aint that niave to think that life in aus is going to be easy with no money behind you and no income?
Old Apr 15th 2009, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't say it was going to be easy. What I said was there's no point whinging about it. Besides some-one said there's a guy at the airport handing out $50 notes when you arrive. Just incase I'll bring the lepricons pot of gold.Davy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.