Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has it lived up to expectations AUSTRALIA

has it lived up to expectations AUSTRALIA

Old Mar 4th 2008, 11:59 am
Just Joined

Gary.Edinburgh is on a distinguished road
Smile has it lived up to expectations AUSTRALIA

Once in australia has things lived up to your expectations?????????????
Jobs, lifestyle, schooling, housing, cars, friends, etc
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:16 pm
A Returning Member!!

Sham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to beholdSham Williams is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: has it lived up to expectations AUSTRALIA

Originally Posted by Gary.Edinburgh
Yes
Old Mar 4th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Pretty much yes. There are a lot of things that I don't like and that bug me. But there are a lot of things that I like.

Dislikes - Nanny state
Pathetic driving conditions and local's driving
skills.
Red tape whenever you try and get something
done.
Local's total apathy a dismissivness of any
higher level problems.

I could go on...

Likes - Brilliant weather
I have a swimming pool
I have a bigger house and plot of land than I
could ever afford in the UK
Local's are really friendly (until you in any way
criticise Australia).

I could go on...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:49 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Expected little.....got a lot.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I guess so but then not convinced we had any expectations so it's hard to say. We're very happy though if that counts. Ticks all our boxes.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

curly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond reputecurly has a reputation beyond repute

Been here just over 6 months, loving it totally happy here
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:25 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond
Pretty much yes. There are a lot of things that I don't like and that bug me. But there are a lot of things that I like.

Dislikes - Nanny state
Pathetic driving conditions and local's driving
skills.
Red tape whenever you try and get something
done.
Local's total apathy a dismissivness of any
higher level problems.

I could go on...

Likes - Brilliant weather
I have a swimming pool
I have a bigger house and plot of land than I
could ever afford in the UK
Local's are really friendly (until you in any way
criticise Australia).

I could go on...
I would agree with much of your post.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 11:28 am
Take it easy

Shakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond reputeShakmaty has a reputation beyond repute

I had no expectations, but hoped I would find a place I could call home, as the UK didn't feel like that place.

Australia has made my hopes real
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:19 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Almost 9 years here now & getting used to it. Might try a visit back to UK this year to see what Ive been missing.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bordy
Almost 9 years here now & getting used to it. Might try a visit back to UK this year to see what Ive been missing.
the p rain:curse: ,the snow yesterday the sun (for about 5 min) then the gale force winds and that is just the one day here in Glasgow but if you think you are missing something dont let it stop you kate
Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:27 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Bordy don't waste your money your missing now't
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:47 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not going back to the UK.

But......

Life in Australia - NSW anyway - is a constant frustration. Even the most common and mundane items are often impossible to get and there's an almost pathological unwillingness to re-order or actually get on top of the problems.

The driving is awful, the vandalism shocking and the litter is terrible in some parts. And whereas ten years ago the drunks would just bash each other, now random beatings and worse are all too common.

Come for the weather and the space.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:55 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
I'm not going back to the UK.

But......

Life in Australia - NSW anyway - is a constant frustration. Even the most common and mundane items are often impossible to get and there's an almost pathological unwillingness to re-order or actually get on top of the problems.

The driving is awful, the vandalism shocking and the litter is terrible in some parts. And whereas ten years ago the drunks would just bash each other, now random beatings and worse are all too common.

Come for the weather and the space.
Didn't realise the Daily Mail did a Southern Highlands edition ...
Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

talbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of lighttalbot is a glorious beacon of light

Jobs - work's the same, but the diff. is we can pop down to the beach for a swim after!

Schools - my daughter and son (10 and 11) were horrified at having to go down a grade on arrival (start later here), but soon forgot it and love it.
The playgrounds are proper playgrounds and not a piece of tar.

Housing -AVERAGE 3 bed. $450 - for the size, cheaper than the UK, but HATED the auction!!!!!

Cars - the AVERAGE new car $30 - but second hand cars more expensive than UK

Friends - the ones I totally click with are from other countries eg America, France and the UK. The locals are friendly enough though.

Old Mar 5th 2008, 10:44 pm
kopites are gobshites

this charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to beholdthis charming man is a splendid one to behold

No, Perth sucks,try a visit to the dentist for root canal work first,the ancient Readers Digest in the waiting room are more exciting than W.A.
If you are thinking of Western Australia,buy a sunbed in Milton Keynes,dont get Sky TV,halve your wages, shop at Aldi,rent dvds every night(watch them on your home cinema screen from Harvey Norman/PC World) and get a season ticket at your local off-licence/bottle shop .
There you go,ive saved you the journey!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.