Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

It has hit me harder then i thought.....!

It has hit me harder then i thought.....!

Old Jan 20th 2007, 3:02 pm
Forum Regular

Matt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud of
Default It has hit me harder then i thought.....!

Hey,
Well basically, ever since i can remember my mum and dad have been talking about emigrating to oz, and i knew that one day we would, and now we have been for our medicals, and stuff, and we are just waiting on a visa grant! and i should be pleased i know but....

I am leaving my friends in a matter of months, the house is getting done up to sell, my parents are getting rid of half of the suff.. and it getting i thin a little bit overwhelming because i never realised how big it is to move, and how much is it stake, I think all i need is some reasureance thats all...

Please can someone help me

xxx

matt

xxx
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice
Default Re: It has hit me harder then i thought.....!

Matt,

I don't have the answers you are looking for but we are at the same stage as you but with smaller children (5, 4).

Please, please try to look at the bigger picture. You are sure to make new friends over in Australia, enjoy everything that sun, sea and sand can offer. Remember - fantastic summers and mild winters AND you will have the luxury of being able to live in either country in the future.

You seem very proficient on the computer and I am sure you can MSN friends to keep in touch.

Think of it as an adventure - one not many young kids get a chance to go on and try to enjoy it to the full.

Here's hoping we will all have a fantastic life down under.

Best of luck

Carol
Old Jan 20th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Matt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cartel
Matt,

I don't have the answers you are looking for but we are at the same stage as you but with smaller children (5, 4).

Please, please try to look at the bigger picture. You are sure to make new friends over in Australia, enjoy everything that sun, sea and sand can offer. Remember - fantastic summers and mild winters AND you will have the luxury of being able to live in either country in the future.

You seem very proficient on the computer and I am sure you can MSN friends to keep in touch.

Think of it as an adventure - one not many young kids get a chance to go on and try to enjoy it to the full.

Here's hoping we will all have a fantastic life down under.

Best of luck

Carol
Well thank you for that advice, i really appreciate it....I am glad that someone in the same situation as me has give me reasureance because it is a difficult stage, especially when you have as many friends as i have lol...

Well thank you, and i wish that you and your family have a fantastic life down under, and that your children grow up in 'the better way of life'

Thanks

Matt

Oh and where abouts are you off to?

xxx
Old Jan 20th 2007, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

cartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nicecartel is just really nice

Hi Matt,

Perth - what about you and your family? By the ay what age are you?

Carol
Old Jan 20th 2007, 6:45 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt06
I think all i need is some reasureance thats all...
matt
Matt

Be under no illusions the coming months will be tough in terms of stress of the move and the initial setting up in a new country. But after the initial say 3 months things will fall into place. You will get into a routine meet new friends (and be able to tell old friends about your new life downunder).

The feelings of being there but not being there are true whether you moved to Oz or to another part of the UK or Europe. It just takes time so my main word of advice is be patient. Just dont expect every thing to be perfect day one of arrival. Next bit of small advice is things will be different not worse not better just different so dont compare back to the UK all the time.

To reduce this stress and increase your chances of a smooth transistion I suggest you read up on the problems others faced in the young adults section but also talk with your parents (are they on BE?). Together you should work as a team to get through it.

It is easy to meet friends down here with the right attitude - they don't go around not wanting friends - but who wants to make friends with someone with a sad face all day??

Grab ya surf board surfs up mate