Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:04 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
No one is saying that crime doesn't happen here.
Plenty of people seem to think crime doesn't happen there

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Seabird]Would you get into a lift with a man dressed in a blanket? Or is this standard Australian atire that we should ensure we have packed in out cases before leaving the UK? I know that when you're travelling the galaxy a towel in indispensible, but a clad blanket??? I also note that people actually cam to see if she was okay... Wow!!

I had to stand in the middle of a road last year redirecting traffic and call the Police/ambulance because there was a guy who had fallen off his bike and was lying unconcsious in the middle of the road and everyone was driving round him and leaving him there!! It turned out he was drunk and had fallen trying to turn the corner into a road on the right. Nonetheless his life could well have been at stake and so many people didn't even gave a s**t. Whilst I stood there only about 1 in every 3 cars bothered to offer help. There was one guy who was just SO brilliant, possibly a soldier as we were close to the barracks that he almost made up for the rest. So not all folk are bad and not all are good the world over.

Think the issue here is about a wave of teenage crime rather than the diverse incidents that have been put on here via links to Oz press articles where it seems to be idividuals rather than the groups involved in "hapy slapping".

QUOTE}

I thought someone would comment that at least we have the weather for naked assailants

Anyway as you think I went off topic heres some of the fun activities of younger folk (not in blankets) yesterday.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au...5E1702,00.html

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 15th 2005 at 7:22 am.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:13 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

I thought someone would comment that at least we have the weather for naked assailants

Anyway as you think I went off topic heres some of the fun activities of younger folk (not in blankets) yesterday.

Ah! but they weren't wearing hoods so it doesn't count

G
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:18 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Grayling

G
Lol....but so much classier than a mere slap, don't you think ?
Old Jun 15th 2005, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

G

Old Jun 15th 2005, 8:20 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Not in Melbourne!! If they caught him here he'd be let off through 'lack of evidence' lol

Hmmm...well in the first one an underworld hitman gets murdered out the back of an Italian Restaurant

and in the second one the Police state;

'When officers arrived, both offenders and one of the occupants had left the premises.

Although the man is still missing, police do not believe he was abducted.

"We believe in both home invasions the two groups (of offenders and victims) were known to each other," the police spokesman said.

"It is unlikely that the home invasion has been a random event."

Slightly different to some little yob randomly selecting an innocent passerby for a slap round the head.

I'd agree that Australia is hardly crime free as is the same for any country in the world.

The difference here seems to be in the low level crime that never gets dealt with in the UK, as I posted before it is more about society's attitudes. These feral yoof gangs blighting the UK get taught by their parents to be selfish, arrogant little sh*ts, they learn not to take any responsibility for their actions, it's always somebody else's fault and the namby pamby do-gooders mollycoddle them and protect them from any sort of punishment which might deter them from acting like animals and learning some respect for the environment they live in and the people they share it with.

I can think of two examples of experiences with teenagers which show the difference, about a year before emigrating I was cycling home from the local, passing the local park I was hauled off my bike by half a dozen teenagers, had my bike, phone and wallet stolen and given a kicking, the police reaction; 'not a good idea to be out that late at night on your own'.

A few months ago here in Melbourne was on train alone at about midnight coming home from dinner out in the city, started getting hassled by an aggressive drunk and before the Connex guards got there from the other end of the train a group of teenagers from the other end of my carriage took the guy to task and turfed him off the train at the stop we had pulled into. They spent the rest of the journey home sitting chatting, asking about England and what I thought of Australia. Oh and half of them were wearing hoodies and baseball caps!

Yes there are undoubtably yobs here and with the country being spread out so much with such a small population it is never going to be as concentrated as in the UK. What it comes down to is in the course of going about a normal day to day existence in Aus I find it very rare to experience any problems or feel unsafe/threatened, as opposed to the UK where every high street and public place seems to be populated by foul mouthed thugs who delight in hassling Joe Bloggs going about his normal, mundane, daily life.

Saw an interesting article in 'The Age' the other day, http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/0...347593965.html

It's hardly any surprise kids whose whole view of the world is what they see on their Playstation or Eastenders end up hanging round shopping centres and street corners causing trouble when there is very little in the way of family life. Over here, and again it is only my experience, families seem to spend more time together and parents generally appear to be far more interested in what their kids are getting up to.
Old Jun 15th 2005, 10:22 am

kirsty&al is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
Not in Melbourne!! If they caught him here he'd be let off through 'lack of evidence' lol

Hmmm...well in the first one an underworld hitman gets murdered out the back of an Italian Restaurant

and in the second one the Police state;

'When officers arrived, both offenders and one of the occupants had left the premises.

Although the man is still missing, police do not believe he was abducted.

"We believe in both home invasions the two groups (of offenders and victims) were known to each other," the police spokesman said.

"It is unlikely that the home invasion has been a random event."

Slightly different to some little yob randomly selecting an innocent passerby for a slap round the head.

I'd agree that Australia is hardly crime free as is the same for any country in the world.

The difference here seems to be in the low level crime that never gets dealt with in the UK, as I posted before it is more about society's attitudes. These feral yoof gangs blighting the UK get taught by their parents to be selfish, arrogant little sh*ts, they learn not to take any responsibility for their actions, it's always somebody else's fault and the namby pamby do-gooders mollycoddle them and protect them from any sort of punishment which might deter them from acting like animals and learning some respect for the environment they live in and the people they share it with.

I can think of two examples of experiences with teenagers which show the difference, about a year before emigrating I was cycling home from the local, passing the local park I was hauled off my bike by half a dozen teenagers, had my bike, phone and wallet stolen and given a kicking, the police reaction; 'not a good idea to be out that late at night on your own'.

A few months ago here in Melbourne was on train alone at about midnight coming home from dinner out in the city, started getting hassled by an aggressive drunk and before the Connex guards got there from the other end of the train a group of teenagers from the other end of my carriage took the guy to task and turfed him off the train at the stop we had pulled into. They spent the rest of the journey home sitting chatting, asking about England and what I thought of Australia. Oh and half of them were wearing hoodies and baseball caps!

Yes there are undoubtably yobs here and with the country being spread out so much with such a small population it is never going to be as concentrated as in the UK. What it comes down to is in the course of going about a normal day to day existence in Aus I find it very rare to experience any problems or feel unsafe/threatened, as opposed to the UK where every high street and public place seems to be populated by foul mouthed thugs who delight in hassling Joe Bloggs going about his normal, mundane, daily life.

Saw an interesting article in 'The Age' the other day, http://theage.com.au/articles/2005/0...347593965.html

It's hardly any surprise kids whose whole view of the world is what they see on their Playstation or Eastenders end up hanging round shopping centres and street corners causing trouble when there is very little in the way of family life. Over here, and again it is only my experience, families seem to spend more time together and parents generally appear to be far more interested in what their kids are getting up to.
Hear, Hear. Completely agree.

But wait for G to post the headline: "Hooded youths and foreigner throw Australian off train"

Cheers
Alistair
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:19 am
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Seabird
Hi All

Wondering if the fantastic new hobby that is sweeping parts of the UK has yet reached Oz. Last week a girl in Stowmarket got shot in the foot by happy slappers, apparently the nastier the attack the more amusement it creates?? Friend was attacked in Ipswich a few weeks ago by a bunch of kids, not sure whether it was happy slapping with the addition of the mobile phone, or a normal mugging. Not that the kids have been caught.

Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies. Probably not alot of help when we are seeing the increased incidence of guns here, though.

What would you say is the biggest crime problem in your area of Oz?

Bye for now, going off to learn to become a slapper... Oh, sorry, too late... maybe I'll just learn to be happy instead...

hasn't arrived to that level yet I'm glad to say... here in outskirts of melbourne at least. The most trouble that local youths so far in my experience cause is the "hanging out near to local shopping precinct hassling you to buy cigarettes/alcohol for them" mob. nothing as violent as the coverage I've seen about gangs videoing acts of ABH.
Old Jun 16th 2005, 11:43 am
Gone surfin'

Soi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant futureSoi Oz has a brilliant future

Hi All
Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies.
An illegal import believe it or not....
Old Jun 16th 2005, 7:50 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

If "happy slapping"ever gets to Adelaide i,m going to start a new sport,called "happy punching", ................... mm
Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:36 pm
Badge

Originally Posted by mr mover
If "happy slapping"ever gets to Adelaide i,m going to start a new sport,called "happy punching", ................... mm
that's the spirit!!

Grayling most people just want to know how "bad" it is in Australia after they've had a bad day. Most can afford to move to good areas. How many people post "I've arrived in Dandenong - I love it - loads of problems, ethnic clashing". Not many.

The worst areas of Australia are as bad as any other - however all things being equal I would say, in some ways, emphasis on some ways, average areas of Australia are better than average areas of the UK - I'm not even going to bother saying why as I have identified a subtle area.

You do like to drag out the old arguments don't you?

badge

Last edited by Badge; Jun 16th 2005 at 9:41 pm.

Old Jun 16th 2005, 9:41 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Badge
that's the spirit!!

Grayling most people just want to know how "bad" it is in Australia after they've had a bad day. Most can afford to move to good areas. How many people post "I've arrived in Dandenong - I love it - loads of problems, ethnic clashing". Not many.

You do like to drag out the old arguments don't you?

badge
What's this thread got to do with me

Are you confused?

G
Old Jun 17th 2005, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

Hi All

Wondering if the fantastic new hobby that is sweeping parts of the UK has yet reached Oz. Last week a girl in Stowmarket got shot in the foot by happy slappers, apparently the nastier the attack the more amusement it creates?? Friend was attacked in Ipswich a few weeks ago by a bunch of kids, not sure whether it was happy slapping with the addition of the mobile phone, or a normal mugging. Not that the kids have been caught.

Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies. Probably not alot of help when we are seeing the increased incidence of guns here, though.

What would you say is the biggest crime problem in your area of Oz?

Bye for now, going off to learn to become a slapper... Oh, sorry, too late... maybe I'll just learn to be happy instead...

now there's a trend i'd like to start off in my office today, my boss start work in 10mins and I'm tempted.....
Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:05 am
Badge

What's this thread got to do with me

Are you confused?

G
you've brought up crime quite a few times thats all.. Sounded a bit like you are trying to resurrect the same old arguments!!!!

badge

Old Jun 17th 2005, 10:14 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Badge
you've brought up crime quite a few times thats all.. Sounded a bit like you are trying to resurrect the same old arguments!!!!

badge
Only because some people insist on bringing up the same old exaggerated points about crime in the UK.

As you said most people going to Australia do not go and live in the worst areas.

Equally many of us live in nice areas of the Uk and do not see the same country that is so often portrayed on here.

G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.