Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:34 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Happy Slapping arrived in Oz?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Did the robber sue the garage for damages ?
Bit hard when hes dead I guess!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:46 am
forever hopeful

louise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond reputelouise4 has a reputation beyond repute

I think that if they get caught they should let the victims 'happy slap' them with a pole on national TV. that would stop em .
Old Jun 14th 2005, 5:50 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by MrsDagboy
Bit hard when hes dead I guess!
More of a Shock than I thought

Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:02 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
More of a Shock than I thought
More than he thought too I think .
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I think the british press should get a grip. Yes it is an offensive crime however lets think about the way the press sensationlise it, giving it a catchy name and blowing it up as if half the country is at it. No wonder it becomes a craze.

In a country of 60,000 people 200 cases have been reported, so in OZ (20,000) would in the last 6 months 60 people been mugged, hit or harassed by teenagers or hoons??

If we had given those attacks a catchy name and stuck it on the front page it probably would be just as sensational.

This weeks paper contained 149 teens booked in just one city for dangerous behaviour in cars. What would the UK press make of that "Hooded teens armed with tanks attack the elderly"

A few weeks ago in brisbane a church full of funeral goers had their wallets cleaned out while they stood around the grave. What about "Grave grabbers prey on the mourning and dead".

70 year old woman was shot in Sydney main street in daylight, UK press would have a field day, here it was one paragraph on page 8!!!

I wouldnt even like them to begin on the 30 people shot down in Melbourne in drug related gangs. Al capone eat your heart out mate

The daily mail has missed its calling by about 10,000 miles.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:53 am
ABCDiamond

For anyone that didn't see the report in "The Guardian"

This "Happy Slapping" craze is:

A youth craze in which groups of teenagers armed with camera phones slap or mug unsuspecting children or passersby while capturing the attacks on 3g technology.

Old Jun 14th 2005, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps we do need the UK press what would they call australias craze last summer of dirty old gits using their mobile phones to indecently photograph our kids at beaches, sporting events and shopping centers.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Seabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud ofSeabird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I think the british press should get a grip. Yes it is an offensive crime however lets think about the way the press sensationlise it, giving it a catchy name and blowing it up as if half the country is at it. No wonder it becomes a craze.

In a country of 60,000 people 200 cases have been reported, so in OZ (20,000) would in the last 6 months 60 people been mugged, hit or harassed by teenagers or hoons??

If we had given those attacks a catchy name and stuck it on the front page it probably would be just as sensational.

This weeks paper contained 149 teens booked in just one city for dangerous behaviour in cars. What would the UK press make of that "Hooded teens armed with tanks attack the elderly"

A few weeks ago in brisbane a church full of funeral goers had their wallets cleaned out while they stood around the grave. What about "Grave grabbers prey on the mourning and dead".

70 year old woman was shot in Sydney main street in daylight, UK press would have a field day, here it was one paragraph on page 8!!!

I wouldnt even like them to begin on the 30 people shot down in Melbourne in drug related gangs. Al capone eat your heart out mate

The daily mail has missed its calling by about 10,000 miles.
The name "happy slapping" was not invented by the press, but by the kids who do it. They think it is just so amusing. It's been going on a while, with kids hitting people. However, it's becoming alot more serious now. The Guardian tend to go less for sensationalism than the Sun or the Star or the Mirror, by the way. Newspapers have a right to tell the Public about this as people need to be aware of it so that they can choose not give kids mobile phones with cameras!! It's always a gamble with balancing the right to advise the public with the spreading of an idea. But I have to say that word of mouth spreads faster than the newspapers or TV, every teenager I know knew about this before I'd even heard of it. As somebody has said these kids are THICK AS S**T as the evidence is on the camera!!

The latest idea his hitting people around the head with traffic cones. In Stowmarket last week (20 minutes from where we live) a girl was actually shot in the foot for a "happy slap". One guy (aged around 30) has lost the hearing in one ear, in another case a chap had fallen asleep on a bench (not a vagrant, incidentally) and they poured petrol under him and set him on fire. He now has third degree burns and will be in pain for the rest of his life.

The problem is two fold.

1 The rate of attacks is rising unbelievably quickly.

2 The key thing for the kids is the shock tactic, so the attacks are increasing in violence to fulfill whatever type of humour they think it is.

As I pointed out a close friend was mugged only a few weeks ago, so we've got the muggings too. Son lost his temper (he's 6ft6) last week with a bunch of kids in a car park running over a load of seagulls eating a bun on the ground and killed two of them. Son said in hindsight there were a bunch of kids with their cars and they probably could have mullered him. He was so angry, though, that he thinks he scared the living daylights out of the lad involved, as the lad got a wrench out of his car to say "leave it", but then drove off. Not many people are 6ft 6 with the confidence to stand up agoainst people, even in a crowd and the Police can't manage all crime.

Nice to hear Happy Slapping's not in Oz, I think that the kids interviewed on TV who find it funny show an IQ that must come from parents who'd have more chance of flying than getting into anywhere but prison, let alone Oz!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:19 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

I was talking about this with a friend who lives in London the other day. For those who haven't seen what these retards think is funny have a look here:

http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=83&PH...902f490c1b0bc3

http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=91

http://hotniss.com/page.php?id=92

My friend was saying it has escalated to the point now where a bloke sleeping at a bus stop was set on fire and videoed (http://www.manchesteronline.co.uk/me...re_attack.html) and a girl in Manchester was shot in the leg with an air rifle after which her attackers hung around to photgraph the damage with their phones. Just about sums up the subhuman filth that British society is breeding in ever larger numbers. And you can imagine the results if an adult who had been 'happy slapped' retaliated, assuming he/she was lucky enough not to be stabbed, kicked or beaten to a pulp by the slappers I'm sure the police would use every resource in their power to prosecute the adult for assault.

Meanwhile all the politically correct do gooders wring their hands and tell us these little dears are merely expressing their frustration and boredom. Just imagine what the UK will be like in another ten years when these retards are adults and have spawned the next generation to come!!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:24 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
My friend was saying it has escalated to the point now where a bloke sleeping at a bus stop was set on fire and videoed
That happened weeks ago

As J+R say it is simply the British press finding something to report. Exaggerated out of all proportion.

Don't fall for the hysterics.

G
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:31 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Seabird
Hi All

Wondering if the fantastic new hobby that is sweeping parts of the UK has yet reached Oz. Last week a girl in Stowmarket got shot in the foot by happy slappers, apparently the nastier the attack the more amusement it creates?? Friend was attacked in Ipswich a few weeks ago by a bunch of kids, not sure whether it was happy slapping with the addition of the mobile phone, or a normal mugging. Not that the kids have been caught.

Could always carry the electric fly-zapper around incase you got slapped, then you could take it to Oz to catch the mossies. Probably not alot of help when we are seeing the increased incidence of guns here, though.

What would you say is the biggest crime problem in your area of Oz?

Bye for now, going off to learn to become a slapper... Oh, sorry, too late... maybe I'll just learn to be happy instead...

Nope, it hasn't arrived in my neck of Aus yet (Melbourne), not that I've heard of anyway. The worst crime in my neighbourhood is teens getting drunk in the park on a Saturday and bashing the living sh*t out of my mailbox on their way home. Have given up replacing the thing as it seems to attract them like a beacon in the night when it's new & shiny. I have stormed out a few nights screaming like a banshee & dressed in PJ's and it seems to have scared them off a bit , but they are right little sods.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The name "happy slapping" was not invented by the press, but by the kids who do it. They think it is just so amusing. It's been going on a while, with kids hitting people. However, it's becoming alot more serious now. The Guardian tend to go less for sensationalism than the Sun or the Star or the Mirror, by the way. Newspapers have a right to tell the Public about this as people need to be aware of it so that they can choose not give kids mobile phones with cameras!!

The point is why do the press use the name? why not report it as what it is assault, kids are less likely to join a craze with a boring name than one called "happyslapping" . Responsibility does not sell papers tho

As for parents, I bet not ones reconsidered a camera phone, most wont believe their kids are capable of it. Like the little bastards here that start bushfires that kill and destroy thousands of homes.

The press has huge responsibility on HOW it reports, and I still dont think the UK style of reporting helps.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:36 am
Badge

As I pointed out a close friend was mugged only a few weeks ago, so we've got the muggings too. Son lost his temper (he's 6ft6) last week with a bunch of kids in a car park running over a load of seagulls eating a bun on the ground and killed two of them. Son said in hindsight there were a bunch of kids with their cars and they probably could have mullered him. He was so angry, though, that he thinks he scared the living daylights out of the lad involved, as the lad got a wrench out of his car to say "leave it", but then drove off. Not many people are 6ft 6 with the confidence to stand up agoainst people, even in a crowd and the Police can't manage all crime.
Thought you meant the son killed 2 of them - the kids.

Hmm you don't have to be 6ft 6 to have the confidence to stand up against people - just fit, strong and capable. An old man on a tram in Melbourne stood up against a drugged up beggar today. If he proved not up to the job I would have backed him up and I am not 6ft 6 either.

Badge

Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:40 am
BE Enthusiast

G'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud ofG'Day has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Badge
Thought you meant the son killed 2 of them - the kids.

Hmm you don't have to be 6ft 6 to have the confidence to stand up against people - just fit, strong and capable. An old man on a tram in Melbourne stood up against a drugged up beggar today. If he proved not up to the job I would have backed him up and I am not 6ft 6 either.

Badge

You are right Badge, it actually often just takes some confidence. These bullies are cowards, hence the hit and run of the slapping and the choice of victim.
Old Jun 14th 2005, 7:42 am
Banned

Jellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond reputeJellybean has a reputation beyond repute

If they are caught, chop their bloody hands off, punishment in the UK is way to light, that's the whole problem.

OK I did tons of stupid stuff when I was a kid but never harmed anybody, stealing sweeties, knocking on doors and stuff like that, of which I am ashamed of now. I know that if I had risked having my hands chopped I would never have done it.

They need to set an example, take the buggers to the cleaners before they grow up...better still drown a few at birth.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.