Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BE has crushed our dream... or saved us

BE has crushed our dream... or saved us

Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough
Default BE has crushed our dream... or saved us

Well our dream has been Crushed:---- migrating to oz, nsw as a plumber,/gasfitter got the TRA before xmas , the whole family so excited wife 3 children… however after reading this BE site.. we have nearly given up L regarding licences and low wages……
Cost of visa, med, flies, and container… got to add up to £10k,, only to be coming home after months of red tape and low wages job offers…. We have a reasonably good life here in the uk job home great…. Is Oz that great to risk all, £10k gets you a lot of holidays in the sun..?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:27 pm
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: BE has crushed our dream... or saved us

Originally Posted by turkey12903
Well our dream has been Crushed:---- migrating to oz, nsw as a plumber,/gasfitter got the TRA before xmas , the whole family so excited wife 3 children… however after reading this BE site.. we have nearly given up L regarding licences and low wages……
Cost of visa, med, flies, and container… got to add up to £10k,, only to be coming home after months of red tape and low wages job offers…. We have a reasonably good life here in the uk job home great…. Is Oz that great to risk all, £10k gets you a lot of holidays in the sun..?
How do you know you'd be 'coming home after months of red tape and low wages job offers'?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

turkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the roughturkey12903 is a jewel in the rough

at the end of the day you to have to earn a crust,
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you make a decision based on other peoples experiences?

If that's how it works, then my experience is that it's great here. Hubby had to apply for a licence (he's an electrician), we didn't find it that hard to do. It's a pain and you need enough money to last while you're doing it just in case, but on the whole it wasn't a big deal. There now you can come over

Seriously though, it's such a personal thing and some people get very homesick and then the little things pile up on them and everything is seen in the negative. Not everyone hates it, and some (like me) don't have any homesickness at all. It's the chance you take, but if you don't come over you will more than likely regret it a few years down the line. Even if you did return to the UK, at least you'll have had an adventure
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:34 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
They pay really bad wages here.....apparantly
Who said that?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
Who said that?

Stop it I'm all confused now
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:37 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Wendy
Stop it I'm all confused now
Not as confused as the OP. Consider yourself lucky.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Mate - you need to have a long hard look at youself! Your giving up on your families dream because of what you have read on here! This is not a reason to quit. When I was planning to come to Australia there was a Guy called pommie bastard who hated just about everything about oz. If I payed any atention to him I would never have come here. That would have been the worst thing I could ever have done. 10k! stick it on a credit card - trust me my friend, it's worth it ........
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:40 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Just be realistic about it, and make sure you have read success stories to balance out those people for whom things haven't worked so well. Please don't just use the site as a pointer to where things aren't going so well, use it for the positives too.
If you haven't already done so, please read the Updates forum - its listed at the top of Aus Lifestyle, with the Barbie. The move is a succes fo a lot of people, and of those who return home - they don't always do so because of the job situation.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

doub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud ofdoub has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by doub
Mate - you need to have a long hard look at youself! Your giving up on your families dream because of what you have read on here! This is not a reason to quit. When I was planning to come to Australia there was a Guy called pommie bastard who hated just about everything about oz. If I payed any atention to him I would never have come here. That would have been the worst thing I could ever have done. 10k! stick it on a credit card - trust me my friend, it's worth it ........
and another thing - I don't know any poor plumbers here in Brisbane. they charge a bloody fortune.

Is there somebody on here that can lend this bloke 10k?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

Good point… we thought we had researched extensively, but got a right kickin the teeth when we read some of the other post for plumbers and gasfitters…on this site….. Just need time and something positive to pick us all up before we post visa app’s
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and another thing - I don't know any poor plumbers here in Brisbane. they charge a bloody fortune.

One of the other posters is taking that amount with him on the plane. Maybe we could persuade him to donate it
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:45 pm
Account Closed

Does he need a loan? He's a plumber in the UK! Never met one of those who was strapped!

I can't say I've ever met anyone who's given up even before they've even started the process!
I think you're right to be cautious turkey, because caution is a good thing, right? But then you need balance too.
Sure, it doesn't suit everyone ... but at least they found out.

My only advice to you is don't have any regrets. IF you want to do it, then get your head down and do it. If you don't, then fine, but just don't be saying in your 60's... 'Damn, I wish I'd gone to Australia when I had the chance'.

Don't know any poor plumbers here either. One turned up in a Merc the other day to our neighbour's place. It was his work car!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Good point… we thought we had researched extensively, but got a right kickin the teeth when we read some of the other post for plumbers and gasfitters…on this site….. Just need time and something positive to pick us all up before we post visa app’s

Have you been in touch with the licencing place where you are heading. They will tell you what you need to do and how to go about it. If you come armed with all the info then it's not so daunting.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

leechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud ofleechy100 has much to be proud of

We went through all this at one point. I think you get to the stage where you look for negatives just so you aren't going with the 'rose tinted' glasses on. So negative posts stand out like sore thumbs. But just remember people post their problems on here asking for help, reassurance and advice. People don't post saying 'Help, I am having a fantastic time, landed a great job, love it, advice please' If it is your dream, then I think you have got to try it for yourselves, if it goes tits up, you can always say been there, done that. But ten, twenty years down the line you could be saying 'what if'. We are not out there yet but we are going with an open mind, expecting it to be tough in the first twelve months till we find our feet, we don't think financially we will be better off, but think we can give our kids a better lifestyle.
If it is your dream is £10k alot of money in the big scheme of things?
Nicky x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.