Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Originally Posted by lang81
Im going back this Thursday with a job to start on the 24th.

I am a joiner and really struggled in Scotland last year. In fact i haven't worked since December and i know loads of others who are in the same boat.

Im lucky that in my time in Perth i made good contacts, and this helped me get a job again. From what my mates are telling me, i think the building trade is doing fine down there
OH and I are both in Glasgow at the moment and OH is about to lost his job as a foreman again. The last 4 companies he has worked for have all gone bust over the last 3 years and there is basically no work to be found in Scotland without us having to relocate to Aberdeen or head to England now.

He has his 176 visa and has done since last Xmas but we were holding off going since he was still in employment and we could not sell the house for any profit. We are/were relying on any equity in the house to get us over to Victoria and set up renting for a few months but it just has not happened. It is now the case where when his job ends in the next week, we will be unable to pay the mortgage after March so have decided to just go.

The exchange rate is awful, we have no savings, we have no further prospects in Scotland and rather than start relocating to other areas of the UK, we may as well just head off to Victoria and give it our best shot.

Anyway, as a result, how is the construction situation in Victoria now? Any advice on getting a foor in the door as the recruitment companies say they are not really interested unless we are actually in the country and available for work straight away.

Thanks for any advice on this and thanks to OP for bringing this up again.

Old Jan 18th 2010, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
OH and I are both in Glasgow at the moment and OH is about to lost his job as a foreman again. The last 4 companies he has worked for have all gone bust over the last 3 years and there is basically no work to be found in Scotland without us having to relocate to Aberdeen or head to England now.

He has his 176 visa and has done since last Xmas but we were holding off going since he was still in employment and we could not sell the house for any profit. We are/were relying on any equity in the house to get us over to Victoria and set up renting for a few months but it just has not happened. It is now the case where when his job ends in the next week, we will be unable to pay the mortgage after March so have decided to just go.

The exchange rate is awful, we have no savings, we have no further prospects in Scotland and rather than start relocating to other areas of the UK, we may as well just head off to Victoria and give it our best shot.

Anyway, as a result, how is the construction situation in Victoria now? Any advice on getting a foor in the door as the recruitment companies say they are not really interested unless we are actually in the country and available for work straight away.

Thanks for any advice on this and thanks to OP for bringing this up again.

Hi, i can't help you with Victoria im afraid. I have only been there on holiday.

However you just need to get there. Its easier to find work when your there and I wouldn't waste time trying to get a job whilst still in Scotland.

I got my job from the newspaper and it was the first ad that i called who gave me the start. As long as you can do the job well you should be fine
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lang81
Hi, i can't help you with Victoria im afraid. I have only been there on holiday.

However you just need to get there. Its easier to find work when your there and I wouldn't waste time trying to get a job whilst still in Scotland.

I got my job from the newspaper and it was the first ad that i called who gave me the start. As long as you can do the job well you should be fine
Thanks so much for the positive reply. I was really getting scared since we are going soon no matter what as it is basically struggle here in the UK and have to move where the work might be (not that it is secure here anyway) or just head to Aus and give it a try.

We will definitely give it our best shot as we really want this to work and we really do love Melbourne. It is where we want to be so thanks for sharing your experience.

All the best