Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you recommend renting in Packenham/Parkdale/Cheltenham?

Would you recommend renting in Packenham/Parkdale/Cheltenham?

Old Jan 17th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you recommend renting in Packenham/Parkdale/Cheltenham?

Ideally we would like to rent in Mentone/Mordialloc for the first year but we are really strapped for cash now and are worried that we can only afford to live within a certain budget that allows for rental in Springvale/Dandenong and we really, really are worried about that since we have been told to stay well clear of these places...

Sorry if this offends anyone - I really don't know the situation and what the area'sare really like but I need advice on this as now we are actually making the plans to head over, we need to stick to a budget or we won't make it longer than a few months in Melbourne.

Thanks again for any advice
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:19 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you recommend renting in Packenham/Parkdale/Cheltenham?

I can't comment on Parkdale the suburb particularly, as we only spent a few hours there, but we did visit the secondary school. The building itself was pretty scruffy at the time, although there was new buildings going up that were very impressive. What did strike us though, was the attitude of the kids, which was friendly, cheerful, yet totally respectful to their teachers (even though some of them looked like they needed a good tidying up & a hairbrush!)

We thought about moving to Parkdale & there is a small beach with a pretty good children's play area...people seemed pleasant enough, but it just wasn't for us. Having said that, we're having to rethink our budget too in view of the ongoing exchange rate nightmare, so never say never

Let us know how you get on & if we can help
Old Jan 17th 2010, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

Hi have PM'd you...
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for the info so far...

Sooooo hoping we can afford Mentone though!
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:39 am
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Hi, not sure what you are looking for and if you have family etc, but we have lived in Parkdale since the beginning of 2007.

We love Parkdale after spending 4 years in 2 separate rental houses in Beaumaris. Beaumaris was a lovely introduction to Melbourne and one of my two children still goes to one of the junior schools there.

Initially we looked at Parkdale/Cheltenham/Mentone to buy as you got more house for your money being a 1-2 suburbs down so it was almost a 2nd choice.

Now we actually live here we are so pleased with the decision as our children are now getting older (they have lived here from being 9&10now they are 12 & 13) there is so much for them to do to gain a little independance from us. There is a sports centre + community centre within walking distance for them and lots and lots of parks/schools so that we can give them a bit extra freedom by setting distances that they can be from us and times.

My hubby commutes to the city which depending on if it's an express or a stop all stations takes between 25-35 mins on the train.

I can't get over just how friendly the whole area is - I actually mentioned to my hubby about how it feels like a community - everyone knows the butcher Burchy and the guy in the chicken shop, coffee shops etc...

It would be a good idea to rent as near to the place you would like to live as possible so that you can get a feel for the area.

Mordialloc is up and coming which means we have a fantastic choice of cafes/restaurants between Mentone,Parkdale and Mordialloc - all within walking distance if you like to have a couple of glasses of wine with your meal.

What is it you are looking for in an area?
LJJ
Old Jan 18th 2010, 12:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Sherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of lightSherro is a glorious beacon of light

agree with everything the poster above has said, also the suburbs towards the city, as i mentioned, Highett, Cheltenham are also the best places with good bang for your buck in the bayside..

Cheers
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sherro
agree with everything the poster above has said, also the suburbs towards the city, as i mentioned, Highett, Cheltenham are also the best places with good bang for your buck in the bayside..

Cheers

Hi

My Sister lives in Highett and likes it, but I can't stand the place. It is one of those souless/faceless suburbs that people go on about
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:05 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you recommend renting in Packenham/Parkdale/Cheltenham?

Originally Posted by ljj
Hi, not sure what you are looking for and if you have family etc, but we have lived in Parkdale since the beginning of 2007.

We love Parkdale after spending 4 years in 2 separate rental houses in Beaumaris. Beaumaris was a lovely introduction to Melbourne and one of my two children still goes to one of the junior schools there.

Initially we looked at Parkdale/Cheltenham/Mentone to buy as you got more house for your money being a 1-2 suburbs down so it was almost a 2nd choice.

Now we actually live here we are so pleased with the decision as our children are now getting older (they have lived here from being 9&10now they are 12 & 13) there is so much for them to do to gain a little independance from us. There is a sports centre + community centre within walking distance for them and lots and lots of parks/schools so that we can give them a bit extra freedom by setting distances that they can be from us and times.

My hubby commutes to the city which depending on if it's an express or a stop all stations takes between 25-35 mins on the train.

I can't get over just how friendly the whole area is - I actually mentioned to my hubby about how it feels like a community - everyone knows the butcher Burchy and the guy in the chicken shop, coffee shops etc...

It would be a good idea to rent as near to the place you would like to live as possible so that you can get a feel for the area.

Mordialloc is up and coming which means we have a fantastic choice of cafes/restaurants between Mentone,Parkdale and Mordialloc - all within walking distance if you like to have a couple of glasses of wine with your meal.

What is it you are looking for in an area?
LJJ
Hi Louise

I'm sure I've said it before but I reckon you and me live about 2 streets from each other. Totally agree with what you say about it being a community - I reckon I know so many people here now and although we've been in Mordialloc almost 3 years we've only been this side of White Street a few weeks.

Very few English people here though compared to where we were on the Epsom Park Estate - I have found one so far and he has lived here 30 years.

We're 1 block from the Warren Road shops. And the bakery re-opened today after the summer break ya-hay!

Buzzy

Last edited by Buzzy--Bee; Jan 18th 2010 at 8:08 am.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:15 am
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

I've been looking on the map for the "centre" with the shops, cafes & so on....when we drove through last year, we only really went along the main road, pulled off at the park by the beach for a while & visited the school. We saw a few shops, but nothing like what I would call a "centre"...maybe you could point me in the right direction
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:19 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenniGee
I've been looking on the map for the "centre" with the shops, cafes & so on....when we drove through last year, we only really went along the main road, pulled off at the park by the beach for a while & visited the school. We saw a few shops, but nothing like what I would call a "centre"...maybe you could point me in the right direction
Centre of Parkdale? Right around the railway station there's a road called Como Parade which has a number of shops.

The shops LJJ and me are talking about are in what seems to be called Warren Village. There's also a secondary school, primary school and swimming pool/sports centre local to those.

Both Mentone and Mordialloc have considerably larger shopping centres.

Buzzy
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Well, it is the two of us and our toddler AND we don't have that much money. We were ideally looking for affordable 2 bed house on one level (not essential but seems to be popular in Melbourne if you can afford a house rather than apartment) and we wanted to be near a nice beach which Mentone and surrounding areas seems to be.

We also didn't want to be too far from CBD and didn't really want to end up on the Geelong side for some reason - think we just like the eastern side of Melbourne better (we lived in South Yarra years ago when the pound was strong and we were just a young, carefree couple!)

Thanks for the info - feeling more positive about things now as long as we can find work to pay the rent...
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:14 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
Well, it is the two of us and our toddler AND we don't have that much money. We were ideally looking for affordable 2 bed house on one level (not essential but seems to be popular in Melbourne if you can afford a house rather than apartment) and we wanted to be near a nice beach which Mentone and surrounding areas seems to be.

We also didn't want to be too far from CBD and didn't really want to end up on the Geelong side for some reason - think we just like the eastern side of Melbourne better (we lived in South Yarra years ago when the pound was strong and we were just a young, carefree couple!)

Thanks for the info - feeling more positive about things now as long as we can find work to pay the rent...
Mentone/Parkdale/Mordialloc have gorgeous beaches, very safe for kids. Aspendale is also lovely with its white sand.

I'm not sure of the rent for a 2 bed house. There's a few for lease in the streets around us. 3 bed houses go for $400 per week plus.

Good luck with it all and feel free to PM me if you need any more specific info about the area.

Buzzy
Old Jan 18th 2010, 9:36 am
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute

Parkdale is good very nice area
Springvale not good

I used to live down the way in Aspendale, rent there was fairly cheaper and had a great beach and lovely friendly community.
good luck
Old Jan 18th 2010, 10:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Packenham is a dive.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the great info and the honesty. Really helpful when we are going for a long term lease as we really don't wanna get stuck somewhere dodgy just cos a nicer looking house is cheaper in a not so nice area...

Having a look at Parkdale too now, due to your recommendations. Thank you all