Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has it been worth it?

Has it been worth it?

Old Jul 18th 2005, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has it been worth it?

Hi everyone,

one of the most important questions we would like answered is; from people who have made the jump is; are you glad you made the move? and have things lived up to your expectations?(even horror stories appreciated!!). my mum & dad emigrated to Crete 10 years ago and have not looked back! and we would like a similar experience!(if possible!!) , but we have made the decision to try and emigrate to oz mainly due to lifestyle, language and opportunities, especially because we have 2 young children, and don't want to cause anymore upheaval than is necessary!

Steve
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:26 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has it been worth it?

Tough question to answer Steve

We were very happy in Nottingham and are equally as happy in Brisbane. We earn roughly the same here in Oz as we did back home and have the same luxuries. We do the same things during the week which would include work, gym, eating out and cinema etc but the weekends feel slower in comaprison.

Overall I would say it is roughly the same but with better weather. I work slightly more hours (3) but get paid slightly more money. The hardest part of it all is having no family close by when I come from a large family who all lived within 20 minutes of me.

I have to say for perfection I would love Monday to Fiday in Brisbane but the weekend in Nottingham.

TT

Originally Posted by jacknat
Hi everyone,

one of the most important questions we would like answered is; from people who have made the jump is; are you glad you made the move? and have things lived up to your expectations?(even horror stories appreciated!!). my mum & dad emigrated to Crete 10 years ago and have not looked back! and we would like a similar experience!(if possible!!) , but we have made the decision to try and emigrate to oz mainly due to lifestyle, language and opportunities, especially because we have 2 young children, and don't want to cause anymore upheaval than is necessary!

Steve
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:34 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
I have to say for perfection I would love Monday to Fiday in Brisbane but the weekend in Nottingham.

TT
For perfection I would love 3 weeks holiday in the UK every year.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 1:37 am
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TrickyTree
Tough question to answer Steve

We were very happy in Nottingham and are equally as happy in Brisbane. We earn roughly the same here in Oz as we did back home and have the same luxuries. We do the same things during the week which would include work, gym, eating out and cinema etc but the weekends feel slower in comaprison.

Overall I would say it is roughly the same but with better weather. I work slightly more hours (3) but get paid slightly more money. The hardest part of it all is having no family close by when I come from a large family who all lived within 20 minutes of me.

TT
Hey Tricky,

Refreshing to hear you are equally as happy, as we are not hoping to move to be any happier. i appreciate the family ties are hard to cope with. As for the weekends in Nottingham, my brother has recently been dating a girl from Nottingham, and he says its a great night out!!(i'm not trying to make you homesick!).

Steve
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Yes, yes, yes, yes & oh yes!!

No regrets!! Been in Brisbane 10 months and absolutley love it.
Old Jul 18th 2005, 2:12 am
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

I have been to many places around the world and not much comes close to a weekend in Nottingham with the guys if you want to party hard.

Think it has the highest number of drinking establishments in the square mile around the city centre and also one of the highest female to male ratios.

And out of all those Nottingham women I found one from Gympie (but couldnt be happier)

TT

Originally Posted by jacknat
Hey Tricky,

Refreshing to hear you are equally as happy, as we are not hoping to move to be any happier. i appreciate the family ties are hard to cope with. As for the weekends in Nottingham, my brother has recently been dating a girl from Nottingham, and he says its a great night out!!(i'm not trying to make you homesick!).

Steve