British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Has this been done before ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-been-done-before-106793/)

Wannastay Feb 28th 2002 4:55 am

Has this been done before ?

Hi,

Me and the other half moved over here (Oz) on a 457 last march (UK Citizen) - working in recruitment. I got the skills assessment, have worked in that SOL for the last 4.5years, and in Australia for the last 12months (all permanent roles).

I get 110 points - phew, made it ! Other half coming as defacto unassessed (no degree). Now about to put in PR forms for independent skilled migration.

I live in Melbourne, have the permanent job etc etc but a) its not IT its recruitment sales and b) im 28, so if it takes too long / fail this time, my age pushes me below the points level.

has anyone else ever gone for PR whilst being on a 457 ? If so, how was it, what were the pitfails and how can i prepare the 47SK to get it right 1st time ? Do migration agents help any ?

Any advice or thoughts appreciated - gets a bit depressing hearing nothing but IT people getting through !!!lmao !

heading downunder 2002 Feb 28th 2002 8:04 am

Re: Has this been done before ?

Hi,

I can't give you any advice on getting PR whilst on 457 visas but I thought I would mention that you are assessed on the age you are at the time you lodge your application and not at what age you are when they process it. If you are soon to have a birthday which changes your points get your application in before this happens.

Susan

George Lombard Feb 28th 2002 8:45 am

No worries, lots of people apply for independent skilled visas while on
457s. Just be prepared to go to NZ or somewhere else when the visa is
finally granted.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au Wannastay wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Hi,
    >
    >Me and the other half moved over here (Oz) on a 457 last march (UK Citizen) -
    >working in recruitment. I got the skills assessment, have worked in that SOL for the
    >last 4.5years, and in Australia for the last 12months (all permanent roles).
    >
    >I get 110 points - phew, made it ! Other half coming as defacto unassessed (no
    >degree). Now about to put in PR forms for independent skilled migration.
    >
    >I live in Melbourne, have the permanent job etc etc but a) its not IT its
    >recruitment sales and b) im 28, so if it takes too long / fail this time, my age
    >pushes me below the points level.
    >
    >has anyone else ever gone for PR whilst being on a 457 ? If so, how was it, what
    >were the pitfails and how can i prepare the 47SK to get it right 1st time ? Do
    >migration agents help any ?
    >
    >Any advice or thoughts appreciated - gets a bit depressing hearing nothing but IT
    >people getting through !!!lmao !
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >hopeful, ever hopeful....
    >
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Petecito Feb 28th 2002 10:32 pm

Is it a different and quicker application process to starting from scratch ? I have
left Oz but still have a 457 valid for 12 months. What do you think ?

"George Lombard" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    | No worries, lots of people apply for independent skilled visas while on
    | 457s. Just be prepared to go to NZ or somewhere else when the visa is finally
    | granted.
    |
    | Cheers
    |
    | George Lombard
    |

Wannastay Mar 1st 2002 1:44 am

phew - thanks for that George. Just one more thing - what is the current waiting time for someone in my position (i.e Brit national living in Australia) - assume thick end of a year to check references etc etc in the UK. Are there any other pitfalls i can expect (apart from ulcers whilst waiting !) :))