British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-australian-dream-lost-its-sparkle-anyone-696110/)

Rainydaze Dec 8th 2010 9:43 am

Re: Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 9027642)
You get different small pleasures in life, a blue sky in OZ, a frosty field in the UK, a kookaburra here, a robin there, pretty much the same really, everwhere has nice little things about it.

Never a truer word spoken :)

TKline Dec 8th 2010 10:53 am

Originally Posted by littda01 (Post 9027469)
My own perspective as a recent arrival -

The price of the Aussie dream has gone up a lot over the last few years. Take this example. In 2006, for example, lets say the GBP bought you 2.2AUD. You had GBP100k to bring, so 220AUD. You were eyeing up a job in Aus at 100k. A nice 3bed in a good suburb of Melbourne would set you back about 450k. No worries, easily affordable! 30% deposit, mortgage 3x gross.

Wind forward to late 2010. Your 100k now gets you 100k. The same house is now costing around 650k. Lets be fair and say your salary is now 120k. 10% deposit, mortgage 4.88x gross.

Thats >50% less affordable.

The house prices rises of the past 10 years are totally unsustainable. Prices always revert to the mean. The tide is turning and house prices are due a considerable fall, and soon!

chocciecake Dec 8th 2010 11:05 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9027248)
Weather and beaches, unsurprisingly, get mentioned everytime these threads come up.
I can see the beach from my front door.... and I think I've been on it half a dozen times in the last year. I used to go all the time, but its just a pile of sand at the end of the day and it WILL lose its attraction.

Is the weather 'better'?... well on average you would have to say of course it is. Nobody would be rushing here if the the weather was like Siberia... BUT, there are elements to Australian weather that can get just as tedious as the weather in the UK.
Walking the dog when its 28c and nearly 90% humidity, whilst surrounded by your own personal collection of bush flies, gets old very quickly.

As for the rest.. the 'Australian dream' now comes with one Hell of a high price tag.

bush flies!

the bloody bush flies, and they stick to you like glue..so annoying!

i don't remember may flies in the uk...but here, sometimes you can see someone with their back covered in them!

irishbloo Dec 8th 2010 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by spartacus (Post 9027593)
When I was on the migration trail and feeling a bit low with the whole thing, the lyrics to Gabrielle's "Dreams Can Come True" were always inspirational . ..

:rofl:

Steve2009 Dec 8th 2010 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by chocciecake (Post 9028371)
i don't remember may flies in the uk...but here, sometimes you can see someone with their back covered in them!

I made the mistake of wearing a blue shirt on Fraser Island one day. They love blue, I was raw!

Edit: Actually I think they were horse flies.

chocciecake Dec 8th 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 9028500)
I made the mistake of wearing a blue shirt on Fraser Island one day. They love blue, I was raw!

Edit: Actually I think they were horse flies.

as we speak, i am sitting at my laptop being bombed by at least 10 bloody sticky flies and i am almost over it..wheres the mortein!
seeing them rub their filthy little legs together depositing filth on my laptop screen is making me murderous...

but what would an aussie barbie be without the hoards of flies?

chocciecake Dec 8th 2010 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 9027663)
I don't know how it compares to the UK, but in comparison to Ireland there seems to be a lot more value afforded by the council to residents. The amenities are exceptional and the populus respects them. I can only imagine what would happen to free electric bbqs if we had them in parks in Ireland. They'd be pissed on and ripped apart most likely.

lol!

sorry to burst your illusion of the resoect of aussies for public property but i i-chatted your quote to my husband about the bbq's (esp as i find it funny that pissing is a very popular thing to do in the uk on anything available and he sent this back:

" lol! i remember when i was in primary school , local kids pooing on them!!!!"

the kids then used to turn the hot plates on to bake the poo on...
he lived in clifton hill melb, so anyone in clifton hill, watch out....:eek:

BadgeIsBack Dec 8th 2010 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by HelenTD (Post 9027623)
Yes, most expats know what and where it is, even if a lot of eastern states Aussies don't:sneaky:. WA is a very warm part of Australia and the weather is very predictable here, so it doesn't fit into your statement "The warmer parts of Australia have the less predictable weather".

I think he meant the tropical north. Sometimes you have to read between the lines on BE!

Originally Posted by Uranus
Is the weather 'better'?... well on average you would have to say of course it is. Nobody would be rushing here if the the weather was like Siberia... BUT, there are elements to Australian weather that can get just as tedious as the weather in
As for the rest.. the 'Australian dream' now comes with one Hell of a high price tag.

Yes.
I prefer the Melbourne weather because it is warmer than the UK and because of mild-warm spring, summer and autumns.
When it is too hot for certain activities I choose another time of day. It's not so good for outside workers.

Not sure about the local population but the dream seems over for many expats. Unless you have $1-2m (say) and clear expectations or niche tastes and know how to manage them. For the average migrant, there is no sense in attempting to transport a life from the UK to Australia. Whilst some things are free, it beats me why people gush about BBQs in parks.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 8th 2010 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9029368)
I think he meant the tropical north. Sometimes you have to read between the lines on BE!

Yes.
I prefer the Melbourne weather because it is warmer than the UK and because of mild-warm spring, summer and autumns.
When it is too hot for certain activities I choose another time of day. It's not so good for outside workers.

Not sure about the local population but the dream seems over for many expats. Unless you have $1-2m (say) and clear expectations or niche tastes and know how to manage them. For the average migrant, there is no sense in attempting to transport a life from the UK to Australia. Whilst some things are free, it beats me why people gush about BBQs in parks.

The more I hear about 'the weather' on here, the more I think I've got the best of it in Australia. Right down on the coast in the Illawarra, we get no frost, temps above 35c are very very rare, we get spectacular Autumn weather for weeks on end. Now if i could get my house to be less like a fridge in Winter it would be perfect.

Migrants coming from the UK now are coming to a totally different set of challenges to those I faced when I arrived less than five years ago. Then it was all about adapting to your new life, something that, frankly, I made a balls of. Financially it wasn't so tough a move to do. That's all changed.
Now with house price movements in the two countries moving in opposite directions and the exchange rate doing them no favours either, it must be a tough call to make the move work financially, let alone emotionally.

eugene43 Dec 8th 2010 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack (Post 9029368)

Yes.

Come on get real havent you read the thread on poms in oz £10,000 or less LOL but come to think about it not many replys on it lately.

ABCDiamond Dec 8th 2010 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9029403)
The more I hear about 'the weather' on here, the more I think I've got the best of it in Australia.

We will have to agree to disagree on that :thumbup:

Your comment about "get my house to be less like a fridge in Winter" does raise the thought on perceptions. We get that coldness too, but up here it is about 15C when it feels like a fridge ;)

Cheetah7 Dec 9th 2010 12:05 am

Originally Posted by chocciecake (Post 9028542)
lol!

sorry to burst your illusion of the resoect of aussies for public property but i i-chatted your quote to my husband about the bbq's (esp as i find it funny that pissing is a very popular thing to do in the uk on anything available and he sent this back:

" lol! i remember when i was in primary school , local kids pooing on them!!!!"

the kids then used to turn the hot plates on to bake the poo on...
he lived in clifton hill melb, so anyone in clifton hill, watch out....:eek:

:eek:

That is terrible, they should be 'turdi-fied' insane for doing that.

asprilla Dec 9th 2010 12:06 am

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus (Post 9029403)

Migrants coming from the UK now are coming to a totally different set of challenges to those I faced when I arrived less than five years ago. Then it was all about adapting to your new life, something that, frankly, I made a balls of. Financially it wasn't so tough a move to do. That's all changed.
Now with house price movements in the two countries moving in opposite directions and the exchange rate doing them no favours either, it must be a tough call to make the move work financially, let alone emotionally.

Perhaps there was a 10yr period where the move to Aus was not a tough move, financially speaking. But I think that ended a couple of years ago.

It looks like we have recently entered a period where the move will actually be very tough for most, perhaps inviable. This will last for a fair while to come.

iamthecreaturefromuranus Dec 9th 2010 12:48 am

Originally Posted by asprilla (Post 9029715)
Perhaps there was a 10yr period where the move to Aus was not a tough move, financially speaking. But I think that ended a couple of years ago.

It looks like we have recently entered a period where the move will actually be very tough for most, perhaps inviable. This will last for a fair while to come.

Agree 100%

Steve2009 Dec 9th 2010 1:19 am

Question for those who agree that Australia has gotten to expensive:
Do you think that Australia will continue to become more expensive relative to the rest of the world or do you see this cycle stopping ever?