Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:03 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Originally Posted by DeadVim
... still, only 5 months until it cools down and the good weather (for me) returns ...
Probably true for the bulk of us. Autumn is usually spectacularly good. Little rain and lots of sunny days in the low 20's.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:05 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve2009
I can only imagine what would happen to free electric bbqs if we had them in parks in Ireland. They'd be pissed on and ripped apart most likely.
And that doesn't happen here?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
And that doesn't happen here?
Maybe I've been spoiled by the areas I've lived in and visited.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:17 am
sjz
Forum Regular

sjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nicesjz is just really nice

Originally Posted by littda01
I'm sorry, what? "4 seasons in one day and all that?"

sjz - I agree that UK period properties are very nice to look at. However, they don't adapt well, and generally it costs a lot to fit them out like a new place.

New places (IMO) are not expected to have a lifetime of 100 yrs. More like 30-50, then its knock down and build again. Nothing wrong with that.

Old properties in Europe are one of the best things about European cities, but boy are they a bitch to live in and plan around.

Modern houses to me are like modern bits of furniture. Glue and staples. MDF. Ikea generation. Nothing is built to last any more. No thought, no creativity, everything done on the cheap – and it shows. I have no problem with flattening a house and starting again only I disagree that new build houses (here anyway) will last 30-50 years – not without significant maintenance. Maybe we’re moving to a society that only buys plots of land and plans to rebuild from scratch every time the house changes hands…

I also prefer the formality of the European houses. Open plan living has its plusses and minuses. Farmhouse kitchen – great idea. But cooking, eating, home theatre system, kids throwing their toys round the room etc – chaos.

I write this as I look out the window from the 24th floor of my office and I see most of Melbourne disappearing before me into the approaching deluge for the second time today. Wait, is that the rain or the locusts? I’ll know in a few minutes…
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:18 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I've been spoiled by the areas I've lived in and visited.
I went from the rough bit of Kent to a supposedly rough bit of Brisbane (think Inala, Woodridge) and I know where I felt safest, I am still here but out in the sticks a bit and it's still relatively trouble/vandal free ... the biggest issue is the hoons but they are everywhere.

And the BBQs are still working ... and yeh, now you come to mention it the councils do seem to be pro-active in free/cheap activities especially for families with kids.

But, as usual 'tis dangerous to sweep the generalisations, take schooling and the relatively recent murder of one pupil at Saint Pats, one of the better regarded schools around Brisbane.

Weather is still pants at the moment though
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Steve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to beholdSteve2009 is a splendid one to behold

My other half is Aussie and never understood why I'm so careful about where I park my car here. I'll never park where there's broken glass for instance.

We were back in Ireland in July and the tables were turned one day. I parked right next to a pile of broken glass in the car park for a tourist attraction. She protested and said we shouldn't leave it there. I thought it was a busy enough place to be fine. When we got back the car next to us had been smashed for their sat nav. Apparently this isn't as big an issue here?
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

When we got back the car next to us had been smashed for their sat nav. Apparently this isn't as big an issue here?
Down at Kawana last weekend, very busy type surfing beach, someone had put up a sign saying keys were being taken out of beach towels while people surfed, cars then taken for joyrides then burnt out in the State forest.

Not had that happen, but partners ute was broken into and loads of old crap was taken and a bunch of files of paperwork that would mean little to anyone else Police said they had done 20 odd cars that night, ours was one of several in a secure hotel carpark!

I'd be as careful here as anywhere.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:58 am
BE Forum Addict

That's happened to me while out windsurfing in Ireland. They stole our wallets, phones and my mate's car keys. They obviously didn't fancy my car as they left my keys. We've had spare plastic keys ever since so that we can take them out on the water.

Having spent 2.5 years in Oz so far in various citys I think I've had less situations I felt dodgy than I would have had in the same period in Dublin. Maybe I'm oblivious to the dangers here though.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That old cliche!

We get strong changes coming through (no more than 1 a day!)...but we know they're coming, they're PREDICTED, normally arriving within a couple of hours of when they say they will.

Yes, Helen, I agree Perth seems very predictable also, sorry I forgot about WA , my point was more aimed at coastal Qld where you're far more likely to get caught out by an unexpected downpour IME.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:15 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

That's happened to me while out windsurfing in Ireland. They stole our wallets, phones and my mate's car keys. They obviously didn't fancy my car as they left my keys. We've had spare plastic keys ever since so that we can take them out on the water.

Having spent 2.5 years in Oz so far in various citys I think I've had less situations I felt dodgy than I would have had in the same period in Dublin. Maybe I'm oblivious to the dangers here though.
When I first arrived I found it incredible that tradies can leave stuff in the back of their ute and have a decent expectation to still find it there when they return.

Obviously there are degrees but anything left in the open in my old patch would be gone in a flash. Maybe it's an unwritten rule here, leave the utes alone

(Edit) Or maybe not! http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1225967654835

Last edited by DeadVim; Dec 8th 2010 at 4:19 am.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:16 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yes, Helen, I agree Perth seems very predictable also, sorry I forgot about WA , my point was more aimed at coastal Qld where you're far more likely to get caught out by an unexpected downpour IME.
Predictable in more ways than the weather. They do 7 day weather forecasts here and they're usually accurate. Coming from the UK, I found that amazing when I first came to Perth.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:26 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

.....which is one of the biggest myths ever to be propogated on this forum.

You can easily get 2 seasons in one day in Melbourne though, what BCWorld is saying is that the weather in Melbourne is very predictable, if you're going to get 2 seasons in one day the weather forecast will tell you which seasons, at what part of the day and pretty much the exact time it will transition from one season to the next!

BB
Old Dec 8th 2010, 5:43 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

My own perspective as a recent arrival -

The price of the Aussie dream has gone up a lot over the last few years. Take this example. In 2006, for example, lets say the GBP bought you 2.2AUD. You had GBP100k to bring, so 220AUD. You were eyeing up a job in Aus at 100k. A nice 3bed in a good suburb of Melbourne would set you back about 450k. No worries, easily affordable! 30% deposit, mortgage 3x gross.

Wind forward to late 2010. Your 100k now gets you 100k. The same house is now costing around 650k. Lets be fair and say your salary is now 120k. 10% deposit, mortgage 4.88x gross.

Thats >50% less affordable. BIG difference in your net wealth and your potential quality of life.

These factors are a little transitory, granted, but noone can predict how long they might last for.

Now, as regards the weather. This yr has been pretty poor by all accounts. But generally, the weather is just a lot better than UK. It depends how "weather-sensitive" your life is. Mine is very, playing a couple of sports and liking to be outside generally.

The UK is terrible from that perspective because theres no predictability. Anythings possible. Melb is unpredictable too, but just less so, and from a better base. No competition at all.

If you're not that weather-sensitive, eg more of a culture person, the heat might annoy you. But to me, bring it on.
£100 You get $100 have I missed the exchange rate lately ????
Old Dec 8th 2010, 6:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by sjz
Australia has winters too – try 4-5 months of grey skies, temp between 12-15 each day and light rain (annoying amount but not enough for the dams) on and off every day.
I would hate that too, I much prefer my Australia to yours

Old Dec 8th 2010, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Down at Kawana last weekend, very busy type surfing beach, someone had put up a sign saying keys were being taken out of beach towels while people surfed, cars then taken for joyrides then burnt out in the State forest.
Reminds me of the light-hearted 'Guide to Australian life' that did the rounds -- where it seemed that up to fairly recently no thief had ever worked out where people hid their keys...

I've been known to be a lot less careful here.

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

You can easily get 2 seasons in one day in Melbourne though, what BCWorld is saying is that the weather in Melbourne is very predictable, if you're going to get 2 seasons in one day the weather forecast will tell you which seasons, at what part of the day and pretty much the exact time it will transition from one season to the next!

BB
They do a good job.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.