British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone??? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-australian-dream-lost-its-sparkle-anyone-696110/)

NomandNat Dec 7th 2010 9:50 am

Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Hello
Just wondered if the Australian dream that most of us have been clinging to over the years has somewhat lost its sparkle due to a number of factors (e.g. exchange rates, cost of living, house prices, harder to get jobs, etc,etc,etc.....)
I will point out that I am not trying to be negative here but looking at the realistic picture how many of us might be a lot worse off than when we first started on this migration journey.
Yes we are still in Scotland at the moment (and yes I have cold feet as its was blinking frosty here again last night.....lol)
If there are any people who have migrated within the last year or so then I would really like to know how you feel first hand?
Let it rip...
Cheers
Nom

eugene43 Dec 7th 2010 10:19 am

Re: Has the Australian dream lost its sparkle................anyone???

Originally Posted by NomandNat (Post 9025976)
Hello
Just wondered if the Australian dream that most of us have been clinging to over the years has somewhat lost its sparkle due to a number of factors (e.g. exchange rates, cost of living, house prices, harder to get jobs, etc,etc,etc.....)
I will point out that I am not trying to be negative here but looking at the realistic picture how many of us might be a lot worse off than when we first started on this migration journey.
Yes we are still in Scotland at the moment (and yes I have cold feet as its was blinking frosty here again last night.....lol)
If there are any people who have migrated within the last year or so then I would really like to know how you feel first hand?
Let it rip...
Cheers
Nom

No not lost its sparkle & I am doing well in uk so just waiting till the time is right if that ever happens.

Lymm Mover Dec 7th 2010 10:28 am

We are still in the UK, not sold up yet. It has not lost its sparkle, but I am more concerned about starting out over there due to the exchange rate, house prices and feedback from people on the forum.
We are still desperate to go.

Steve2009 Dec 7th 2010 10:31 am

The property situation and related economic issues are a bit of a problem but Australia is still a great country with great people. Even if it is raining a little more than I would like so far this summer.:) Even for people struggling, would you rather be struggling in the Aussie sunshine or in the northern European rain?

Lymm Mover Dec 7th 2010 10:43 am

[QUOTE= Even for people struggling, would you rather be struggling in the Aussie sunshine or in the northern European rain?[/QUOTE]

That is our thoughts on the situation exactly:thumbsup:

dhama Dec 7th 2010 10:49 am

Off all Racism is the major factor.

Cheers

moneypenny20 Dec 7th 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by Steve2009 (Post 9026036)
Even for people struggling, would you rather be struggling in the Aussie sunshine or in the northern European rain?

Some people can't cope with the sunshine. ;) As for me, show me the bloody sunshine and I'll be a happy bunny. My webbed feet are turning rusty.

fish.01 Dec 7th 2010 11:09 am

Originally Posted by dhama (Post 9026065)
Off all Racism is the major factor.

Cheers

Sorry to hear you have experienced lots of racism.

DeadVim Dec 7th 2010 11:25 am

Originally Posted by NomandNat (Post 9025976)
Hello
Let it rip...
Cheers
Nom

Didn't dream, didn't have much expectation, six years on life is still good, no job at moment but don't care, attitude over circumstance every time ... it aint the cards, it's how you play them ... <drifts off>

Dorothy Dec 7th 2010 11:33 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9026105)
Didn't dream, didn't have much expectation, six years on life is still good, no job at moment but don't care, attitude over circumstance every time ... it aint the cards, it's how you play them ... <drifts off>

You know, I find myself agreeing with you more and more every day.

Australian dream? What Australian dream? Emigrating is a major lifechanging event. There should be no dreaming about it at all. It's a huge reality.

DeadVim Dec 7th 2010 11:45 am

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9026116)
You know, I find myself agreeing with you more and more every day.

This is cause for concern on both sides ;) :D

Kalenge Dec 7th 2010 11:50 am

An Aussie I knew who I was heading back home after a number of years in the UK had an optimistic view ...

"You may find yourself driving to some boring job in a clapped out old car ... but doing it under blue skies it somehow doesn't feel half as bad" :)

Dorothy Dec 7th 2010 11:52 am

Originally Posted by DeadVim (Post 9026130)
This is cause for concern on both sides ;) :D

Yeah, I've booked myself a check up at the local electroconvulsive therapy centre for later in the week.

Dave.McLeod Dec 7th 2010 12:25 pm

I'm dubious about moving over, slightly worried about finding as good a job as I've got here in the UK...but I can't wait and going to take everything in my stride...one step at a time. I don't think it will ever be an Australian dream but it's going to be the start of better memories!

Pollyana Dec 7th 2010 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by Dorothy (Post 9026116)

Australian dream? What Australian dream? Emigrating is a major lifechanging event. There should be no dreaming about it at all. It's a huge reality.

Says it all really.:thumbup: