Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Australia changed during the pandemic?

Has Australia changed during the pandemic?

Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:56 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has Australia changed during the pandemic?

Originally Posted by Beoz
But you can't leave and Queensland is a shit hole. That's not freedom. Did you drink the bogan marketing koolaid?
A couple of gins and tonic, steak, and Baskins on the way home actually. Had a great evening out, what about you?

Last edited by Brisbannite; Sep 4th 2021 at 10:58 am.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Brisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond reputeBrisbannite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You do realise the majority of people around the world that have died from/with Covid are aged 80 and over?
Far out. The people I know in their 80s who caught it survived, the only people I know who died were in their 30s and 40s. But whatever, a disease doesn't have to kill you to wreck your life, scarred lungs and kidneys, and months in recovery aren't exactly a barrel of laughs.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by greg123
Your pretty jealous. Life up here is good. We can go where we want and do as we want. Seems like you have a sad life down there,but then I would if I lived down there.Seems like all your bothered about is getting vaxxed. Should live up here mate we're more relaxed. But then you'd never fit in as you're a southerner.
If Beoz saw North Lakes he'd have every reason to be jealous, great place to live. I just spent the evening at Sandstone Point, he'd probably go into thermonuclear meltdown if he realised how great it is in SEQ . And all thanks to AP and the Dr for safeguarding our health and welfare, we are indeed blessed to have them.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisbannite
A couple of gins and tonic, steak, and Baskins on the way home actually. Had a great evening out, what about you?
A few drinks with the neighbours followed by retiring to a bit of Netflix. What's your point?

You do realise everything AnnaPalette dishes up to the brainwashed in Queensland about how awful it is in NSW is a crock of shit. Harsh lockdown lasted 2 weeks. Normal service has resumed. We have learned to live with it. How are you guys going in your transition? Or should I hold fire on that question until you are in your lockdown?
Old Sep 4th 2021, 12:45 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If Beoz saw North Lakes he'd have every reason to be jealous, great place to live. I just spent the evening at Sandstone Point, he'd probably go into thermonuclear meltdown if he realised how great it is in SEQ . And all thanks to AP and the Dr for safeguarding our health and welfare, we are indeed blessed to have them.
Sandstone Point is OK, but North Lakes is hardly a great advert for Queensland living. Shoe boxes, and you can hear your neighbours ---- errr---turning over in bed!

Reading the second half of your post though I'm wondering just what you were drinking at Sandstone Point, cos I wouldn't mind a pint of it to get me through this shift!
Old Sep 4th 2021, 1:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

It's looking from here in Victoria, that NSW is backing it's health system to cope once it hits 70pct vaccinated, and dragging the reluctant but capable state of Victoria along for the ride. Once that happens, Queenslands and WA's will get their outbreak.
Learned to live with Covid, or just don't care, either way it's nice to belt out a bit of Metallica in a small crowd not thinking about Covid all the time or having to do silly things like mask wearing. Some in Australia will get here before others.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 1:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Far out. The people I know in their 80s who caught it survived, the only people I know who died were in their 30s and 40s. But whatever, a disease doesn't have to kill you to wreck your life, scarred lungs and kidneys, and months in recovery aren't exactly a barrel of laughs.

Thats odd, because I live in Covid central for the whole of Australia, and the only people that I know of that have died here have been the locals at the St Basils nursing home in Fawkner, less than 2ks from where I live... About 40 died there. Even today our municipality Moreland has more cases than anywhere else in Melbourne. As for complications only what I've read in blaring headlines on front pages of newspapers, absolutely no one personally. Not sure how you could know anyone personally seeing as there have been so few cases in Queensland?

So how about getting real and telling us how you think Queensland will fare when Australias most populous states are fully open in the first quarter of next year, having 100's of infections reported every day, the hospitals coping and the two states basically fully opened. Will Queensland still be closed.... Will we be able to fly from Melbourne and Sydney to Singapore and on to Europe and not to Brisbane, Coolangatta and Cairns... or Perth or Busselton for that matter. How long will Queenslanders be in that bubble and how on earth are they going to get out of it?

How is Queensland going to cope when NSW and Vic are open next year and having 100's of cases daily, How long will they and can they stay isolated from the rest of the world?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 4th 2021 at 1:34 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 1:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
Learned to live with Covid, or just don't care, either way it's nice to belt out a bit of Metallica in a small crowd not thinking about Covid all the time or having to do silly things like mask wearing. Some in Australia will get here before others.

https://twitter.com/espnausnz/status...370889218?s=24
Even at the football in the UK, there were 60K at Palaces last game at West Ham..... Thats with 25K new cases of Covid a day.

Old Sep 4th 2021, 3:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats odd, because I live in Covid central for the whole of Australia, and the only people that I know of that have died here have been the locals at the St Basils nursing home in Fawkner, less than 2ks from where I live... About 40 died there. Even today our municipality Moreland has more cases than anywhere else in Melbourne. As for complications only what I've read in blaring headlines on front pages of newspapers, absolutely no one personally. Not sure how you could know anyone personally seeing as there have been so few cases in Queensland?
This is a very odd statement. I have no idea about the poster but I'm fairly sure they know people who don't necessarily live next door to them. I have people I'm incredibly close to and they live on various continents around the world.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
This is a very odd statement. I have no idea about the poster but I'm fairly sure they know people who don't necessarily live next door to them. I have people I'm incredibly close to and they live on various continents around the world.
Exactly this. I've friends and relations across the globe and around Australia.

Queensland will open up when the number of fully vaccinated people over 16 reaches 80%. At that stage lockdowns won't disappear but the health minister says they'll become less likely and more targeted. However, Dr Young wants to go higher than 80% and exceed the kind of vaccination rates that we see in childhood immunisation.

I'm fine with lockdowns, and we've been wearing masks for months which I think was an excellent decision. If people think wearing masks is "silly" they must think catching covid is hilarious.

I think we've got it right in QLD, due in no small part to the extremely courageous and intelligent women we have in charge who don't allow the Feds to bully them into making decisions that are against the best interests of Queenslanders. Maybe if Gladys had had the balls to stand up to Scotty from Marketing, Australia wouldn't be in this mess now and everyone would be enjoying the freedoms that QLD has?

Last edited by Brisbannite; Sep 4th 2021 at 9:15 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Queensland will open up when the number of fully vaccinated people over 16 reaches 80%. At that stage lockdowns won't disappear but the health minister says they'll become less likely and more targeted. However, Dr Young wants to go higher than 80% and exceed the kind of vaccination rates that we see in childhood immunisation.

I'm fine with lockdowns, and we've been wearing masks for months which I think was an excellent decision. If people think wearing masks is "silly" they must think catching covid is hilarious.

I think we've got it right in QLD, due in no small part to the extremely courageous and intelligent women we have in charge who don't allow the Feds to bully them into making decisions that are against the best interests of Queenslanders. Maybe if Gladys had had the balls to stand up to Scotty from Marketing, Australia wouldn't be in this mess now and everyone would be enjoying the freedoms that QLD has?

The message isn't getting through... When and if Queensland reaches your mythical 80pct of adults and I seriously doubt that is possible particularly in Queensland... Then covid is going to become more prevalent not less. So you will likely be in Lockdown prepared mode for years... That will play havoc with your tourism industry.

If we are talking about on line contacts, and I've been a member of a very large forum since 2001 and feel like I know a lot of those personally on line at least .... Then out of the dozens of people around the world that have contacted covid of all ages of f all ages that post on said forum... In not aware if anyone reporting long covid.. But there you go we obviously move in very different worlds

I' don't know of any personal contact at all that has reported it either... I'm sure long covid and legacy exists, how common it is seems overstated from my own experience. .

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 4th 2021 at 10:25 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2021, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

I read it on the internet so it must be true.
Whatever.

Thanks to the good work of our premier and CHO most of my work colleagues and immediate family will be vaccinated by end Sept/mid Oct.

Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Right. So your theory has a number of holes in it.

Firstly Queensland won't reach 80% without a stick. Why? There are too many bogans and rednecks in Queensland who think vaccines haven't been tested enough or are a conspiracy from the government. Queensland is at a piddly 52% first dose. That's a long way off 80% fully vaccinated.

If somehow Queensland were to avoid an outbreak for the next 6 months then what? I can't see the should be retired country GP Young opening up to the rest of the world. After all the rest of the world, including Australia lives with Covid. She's already said nasty things about AstraZeneca and the Queensland bogan has bought that hook line and sinker.

Maybe AnnaPalette's health decisions based off public polling might get you out of the bind. Maybe the bogan might get sick of lockdowns if you have an outbreak or the tourism industry will get fed up with having no tourists. Not sure.

You haven't got a path out of your bind except to say you like lockdowns and masks. That's a very poor excuse for not having a path out.

What would be best for Queensland is an outbreak. Get people tired of lockdowns and get those vax numbers up. Not sure what balls Gladys needs to show Scotty. Both are following the plan agreed to by Palette. Queensland are the ones backing themselves into a corner here. Queensland needs the rest of Australia more than anyone else.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whatever.

Thanks to the good work of our premier and CHO most of my work colleagues and immediate family will be vaccinated by end Sept/mid Oct.
Your comments are very much about me me me. Living in a little family bubble. Queensland is a little bigger than you. Congrats on your upcoming vax status. If you outbreak comes this week good luck hiding under your blanket until mid October. We stopped doing that here a long time ago
Old Sep 5th 2021, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Whatever.

I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules
I must read forum rules

Oh dear, we have a complete idiot onboard.

Try reading the forum rules sunshine.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Sep 5th 2021 at 12:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.