Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has the application process taken over your life????

Has the application process taken over your life????

Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:15 pm
In my own little world!

Nicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNicky & Dave has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has the application process taken over your life????

Since my Other Half and I seriously got cracking on our application in Feb, it's taken over our lives. All we talk about is our application. We eat, drink and sleep the bloody thing - thank god, we're sending it on Friday. We're going to crack open a bottle of champers and celebrate that five years of talking and two months of action have finally culminated in 147 pieces of paper whizzing their merry way to Adelaide.

But that won't be it, will it? We then enter the twilight zone - do do do do - that seemingly endless black hole after you have received your acknowledgment, your cc is debited and .......the wait begins. When will we hear? Shall we go ahead with meds? This time tests the mettle of even the strongest men and women. Other Half and I are already feeling the strain of what lies ahead during this traumatic time.

Other Half and I used to get home and talk about normal things, like what's on telly and what's for tea? Now we get home from work, detour past the fridge, grab beer - and head straight to the PC to check the forum, to see who's got 'it' and what their timeline was.

We talk about Oz, we make plans about Oz, we dream about Oz, we share the ups and downs of others on the Oz forum - in fact, I can't remember the last time Other Half and I had a proper conversation about anything other than Oz.

But I do have one niggling concern. When all this is over and we're finally, finally in Sydney......what on earth are we going to talk about???? Is just the Other Half and I who have completely lost it??? And will we get it back????

Nicky
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Goodwin will become famous soon enoughGoodwin will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Has the application process taken over your life????

Welcome to the obsessive world of British Expats, austimeline and checking your email every 2 minutes. I think your experiences totally mimic everyones on here and more. I am certainly a major email checking junkie. I check every moment I get at work and at home. Even when you are not expecting any news you still check and trawl through the Expats site to see who has good news and which threads affect you are your application.

YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!!!!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:46 pm
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Nicky & Dave
Since my Other Half and I seriously got cracking on our application in Feb, it's taken over our lives. All we talk about is our application. We eat, drink and sleep the bloody thing - thank god, we're sending it on Friday. We're going to crack open a bottle of champers and celebrate that five years of talking and two months of action have finally culminated in 147 pieces of paper whizzing their merry way to Adelaide.

But that won't be it, will it? We then enter the twilight zone - do do do do - that seemingly endless black hole after you have received your acknowledgment, your cc is debited and .......the wait begins. When will we hear? Shall we go ahead with meds? This time tests the mettle of even the strongest men and women. Other Half and I are already feeling the strain of what lies ahead during this traumatic time.

Other Half and I used to get home and talk about normal things, like what's on telly and what's for tea? Now we get home from work, detour past the fridge, grab beer - and head straight to the PC to check the forum, to see who's got 'it' and what their timeline was.

We talk about Oz, we make plans about Oz, we dream about Oz, we share the ups and downs of others on the Oz forum - in fact, I can't remember the last time Other Half and I had a proper conversation about anything other than Oz.

But I do have one niggling concern. When all this is over and we're finally, finally in Sydney......what on earth are we going to talk about???? Is just the Other Half and I who have completely lost it??? And will we get it back????

Nicky
Be sure of one thing! You are most definately NOT alone We have been on 'the road' for nearly 2years now and I really, honestly have forgotton what 'normal' life is like :scared: Everything revolves around 'Australia'. Not spending too much money on the house, not worrying too much about what school our oldest will go to, not wanting to spend money on a holiday - the list goes on and on and its all because of 'Australia'. I do worry sometimes that it really isn't healthy On the serious side, I suppose it is one of the biggest things you will ever do - uproot and leave everything to live in a new country.
Good luck with your visa application and but don't expect to be sane by the end of it
Carolyn
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

crozz is on a distinguished road

Nicky
hi all it gets worse you will find that you will niggle each other all the time the worry am i going to get excepted or arent i will i pass the medicals and then when you finally get the visa all you will get from people is havent you gone yet or are you still here drives you bloody crackers.crozz
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:50 pm
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Haven't got to the Visa bit yet, but since July last year the bloody TRA seems to have taken over our lives!

Now that our 2nd attmept has gone in the post I am completely at a lost end! I feel like I should be doing something but don't know what!
Old Apr 27th 2005, 6:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

You are most definitely not alone. We went to Melbourne simply to visit my sister in law and I came back loving it and wanting to live there. My hubby needed more convincing and once presented with some facts, also realised our lives were meant to be there. That was in January. At the end of February, we instructed our agent in Adelaide and now all we can talk, breath and think about is getting to Melbourne. I particularly am on the forum a lot (most days) and scour the property and job sites all the time. I devour as much information as I possibly can. It is all I can talk about to my family (who hate it because they do not want me to go) and to my friends (who also hate it because they wish they were going to). The children talk about it constantly and already have quite vivid ideas of what they are going to do. There is no question that it has completely overtaken our lives - and we only sent off our PASA stuff yesterday!! We still have the long wait of whether or not our qualifications will be accepted and then submitting the main application. Heaven help us AAAARRRGGH :scared:

I think we are addicted to the excitement of starting over and forging a new and better life for us. Australia is where we want to be and boy we can't wait to be there. As for what to talk about when you get there - just sit in the sun, drink beer and stare at that beautiful sea - who needs to talk

Good luck with it all chaps

Sarah
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

joanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud ofjoanneS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jonahs_mummy
Haven't got to the Visa bit yet, but since July last year the bloody TRA seems to have taken over our lives!

Now that our 2nd attmept has gone in the post I am completely at a lost end! I feel like I should be doing something but don't know what!
hi Jonahs mummy! if you are at a loose end you can always do our TRA homework for us!!!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

We went through the process and the 12 months it took drove us mad. When the visa came through we were so busy selling the house and possessions and then we flew and when we got here it took a couple of months to settle in but after that it was worth all the pain, blood, sweat and tears.

YOU ARE DEFINATELY NOT ALONE!!
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:48 am
blossom

Fortnately not for us! But this site has! LOL

Blossom

Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:03 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Yup I eat, breathe and sleep Australia!!!!!!!!!

The forum has taken over my life and without it I would probably of cracked up by now with the waiting!!!!

Can't wait to just get there and relax and settle into my new life in Brisbane.

You are definately NOT alone in feeling that way - couldn't of worded it better myself!

Lynn x
Old Apr 28th 2005, 9:38 am
Suzy's Mummy too!

Jonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond reputeJonahs_mummy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joanneS
hi Jonahs mummy! if you are at a loose end you can always do our TRA homework for us!!!!
cheeky
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

What life? The application process is life isn't it???

It's taken us 3 years to get the visa and we've been talking about little else since we got back from Perth in 2002, the downside of this is that I even lost a job because I could not be arsed to apply myself with any real determination.

I'm sat here counting down the days and weeks until we fly with little or no interest in this country any more
Old Apr 28th 2005, 12:39 pm
Is it the weekend yet?

Anastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond reputeAnastasia Beaverhausen has a reputation beyond repute

Nicky
You have definately lost it, no cure either I'm afraid. In fact I dont think there is a sain person on this forum, me included, so you're in good company :scared:
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Previously County Durham. ENGLAND. Now in Mornington, Victoria. (via Brisbane)
paulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud ofpaulb has much to be proud of

I've slowly become mad over the past few months, but at least thats normal for most people going through the process. Wish I was a private therapist, I would be touting for buisness. :scared:
Old Apr 28th 2005, 1:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

I remember it well, it does get better tho', especially when you're here!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.