Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of
Default Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Hi,

Just wondered if anyone on SIR has managed to get credit of any kind, eg:mortgage, loan, credit card, HP.

Thanks

Joanne
Old Jan 15th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Originally Posted by shorty2south australia
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone on SIR has managed to get credit of any kind, eg:mortgage, loan, credit card, HP.

Thanks

Joanne
hi

i cant answer your question, but we are going out on a sir in three weeks and didnt think there would be a problem have you heard different is that why you are asking, please can you let me know if you get any answers

cheers toni
Old Jan 16th 2006, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

shorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud ofshorty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by g-man
hi

i cant answer your question, but we are going out on a sir in three weeks and didnt think there would be a problem have you heard different is that why you are asking, please can you let me know if you get any answers

cheers toni
Hi Toni,

I have been told by our agent that he doesn't think we can get a mortgage as our visa is only for 3 years. He doesn't think we can get any credit that goes over 3 years.

We can probably manage until we get PR, but it would be alot easier if we could borrow some money.

Joanne
Old Jan 16th 2006, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

nickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the roughnickos12 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by shorty2south australia
Hi Toni,

I have been told by our agent that he doesn't think we can get a mortgage as our visa is only for 3 years. He doesn't think we can get any credit that goes over 3 years.

We can probably manage until we get PR, but it would be alot easier if we could borrow some money.

Joanne
Hi Joanne,
we got a mortgage and credit cards etc as soon as we had our welcome interview/set up accounts with the Commonwealth Bank. In fact we put the offer in for the house on the sunday and then asked for the mortgage on the Monday.
As long as you have a job (income) or income from another source (pension)
then you will have no probs. You just have to prove you can pay the mortgage.
Liz
Old Jan 16th 2006, 1:27 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nickos12
Hi Joanne,
we got a mortgage and credit cards etc as soon as we had our welcome interview/set up accounts with the Commonwealth Bank. In fact we put the offer in for the house on the sunday and then asked for the mortgage on the Monday.
As long as you have a job (income) or income from another source (pension)
then you will have no probs. You just have to prove you can pay the mortgage.
Liz

Thank God for that! I was beginning to feel rather ill until I read Liz's relpy! :scared:
Old Jan 16th 2006, 11:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Red face Re: Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Originally Posted by lucyb
Thank God for that! I was beginning to feel rather ill until I read Liz's relpy! :scared:
Sorry, can't help with the mortgage query. We are renting til we get P.R.
We opened bank accounts with Westpac and asked about credit cards.
They said they couldn't issue C.C. to temp.residents..

BB
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:04 am
journey from here to here

puna will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
Sorry, can't help with the mortgage query. We are renting til we get P.R.
We opened bank accounts with Westpac and asked about credit cards.
They said they couldn't issue C.C. to temp.residents..

BB

DOn't tell them you are temp. resident and you will get it .
I did.
8000$ limit on 4500$ a year.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:06 am

I mean 45000$ gross.
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Has anyone who has gone on SIR managed to get credit?

Originally Posted by puna
I mean 45000$ gross.
did they not ask for id and passports from you?
cheers
bb
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:15 am
Sye
Forum Regular

Sye will become famous soon enoughSye will become famous soon enough

Hiya

We got mortgage straight away..( hsbc) didnt make any difference whether your temp or not! as long as you have either been in employment 3 month! or like us, just offered a job, but continuing in the line of work we have done...we got it before Si even started work!

To get credit cards initially, we put a $1000 bond aside to secure it, just enough to work up a credit rating.. then after a couple of months we got refunded & a second credit card! and no probs buying car, motorbike, anything really

I dont see any problems with the SIR, well we havent really encountered anything!! Medicare is another fib.. you do get it!

Hope this helps

Karen
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We are on a temp 457 visa and can get a mortgage and credit card etc from Commonwealth or ANZ (ANZ depends on your income). Most other places don't let you have a credit card until you are PR, although HSBC are OK, just not close to us.
We are holding off on the mortgage for PR as in Victoria you can't backdate the first time buyers grant so don't get it at all unless you are PR at the point of completion. We could get loans for cars etc but have chosen not to at this point, it is possible but may take a bit more research than it would if you were a permanent resident.
Good Luck.
Nicky
Old Jan 17th 2006, 1:23 am

Originally Posted by BettyBoop
did they not ask for id and passports from you?
cheers
bb
Driving license only and said that I was a PR but I was not.
same bank