Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone transferred a UK Open Uni course to Open Uni Australia?

Has anyone transferred a UK Open Uni course to Open Uni Australia?

Old Jul 29th 2009, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

GillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of lightGillyG is a glorious beacon of light
Default Has anyone transferred a UK Open Uni course to Open Uni Australia?

My husband has 130 points from the OU in the UK towards a degree in earth sciences. Has anyone transferred points from OU courses in the UK to an OU course in Australia?
Old Jul 29th 2009, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Has anyone transferred a UK Open Uni course to Open Uni Australia?

Originally Posted by GillyG
My husband has 130 points from the OU in the UK towards a degree in earth sciences. Has anyone transferred points from OU courses in the UK to an OU course in Australia?
Hiya haven't changed one myself was just wondering whether it's easier to continue through the UK, if it's all online based learning this is what i am doing with a different degree.
Claire
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by hunt66
Hiya haven't changed one myself was just wondering whether it's easier to continue through the UK, if it's all online based learning this is what i am doing with a different degree.
Claire
So will you be flying back to the UK for the requisite summer term exam and to sit the final exam ??
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

hunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the roughhunt66 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Rossi
So will you be flying back to the UK for the requisite summer term exam and to sit the final exam ??
My degree is all modular and online so luckily no exam, i know many people who's degree is completed in the same way with no final exam and i thought many ou degrees were completed the same way, though may be wrong I often am

Last edited by hunt66; Jul 31st 2009 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 9:17 pm
Forum Regular

ozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really niceozbaz is just really nice

I completed my OU degree with a project which was send in electronically.
You are best off asking the OU about transfer.....

Mrs Ozbaz
Old Aug 1st 2009, 3:47 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

As a general rule, incomplete qualifications lose more value upon transfer (especially across borders) than complete ones.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 6:14 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hunt66
Claire
This is a list of the OU courses you can study in Australia and their associated (much higher than in the UK) fees

OU courses available in Australia

I'd been umming and ahhing about whether to a) finish my OU degree b ) transfer it here, or c) just not bother

Looking at the list available my options are now b or c
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

I did the Disocvering Science (60 points) course while based in Malaysia. Obviously couldn't attend any tutorials but did do a bit by email on online conferencing.

The coursework was posted and the final assignment was sent in electronically.

I had applied for the course while in the UK then moved countries. It really wasn't as issue even though Malaysia was not a supported country for that particular course.

I have just enrolled at OU Australia for a course. Interested to see what it's like.

Best of luck - best thing to do would be to speak to the OUA and see what they say. I would've thought that the OU UK would be highly respected and would transfer well.

Update us if you decide to go that route - I would love to know the outcome of any points transfer.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

wullieb1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dreamy
This is a list of the OU courses you can study in Australia and their associated (much higher than in the UK) fees

OU courses available in Australia

I'd been umming and ahhing about whether to a) finish my OU degree b ) transfer it here, or c) just not bother

Looking at the list available my options are now b or c
Not sure how you worked it out but when i looked into it the costs of the UK courses were around the same price in dollars here.

When i called them to ask about carrying on the course from Oz i was told that i'd need to pay the international cost of the course.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

galba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud ofgalba has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by wullieb1
Not sure how you worked it out but when i looked into it the costs of the UK courses were around the same price in dollars here.

When i called them to ask about carrying on the course from Oz i was told that i'd need to pay the international cost of the course.
I didn't tell them I was in Malaysia or they would've almost doubled the fee! I got my OH work to forward the materials from his London office.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you start your OU course in the UK then there are no international fees invloved.
I looked into this as im on my last course for an open BSc, before i started the course i told them i may be relocating to oz before the course finishes. I was told that it would be fine. The same as if you apply for the course and register and sort out the payment schedule and then get a sudden job offer in oz then they will keep things at the same price for that course. international fees kick in if you are applying and registering for a course from eg oz.
I also looked into continuing my studies with OUA but none of the courses im interested in were listed.
Im now hoping to use (once i graduate) my BSc to enable me to go back to a brick uni when i land in oz.
Mandy
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I studied through Open University in Australia and am doing some study through the British Open University, the Australian one in my opinion was terrible, but your husband may need to go through them to work in Australia (or maybe not I am not sure) but you can study via the British Open University in Australia and if he needs to take exams you can pay for an invliligator, unless you have a 'friend' who qualifies, but you can also study via corospondence in an Australian university, what subject is it?
Old Aug 5th 2009, 12:51 am
Officially Bewildered

Dreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond reputeDreamy has a reputation beyond repute

The UK OU website I linked to had the prices, I didn't work anything out

The OU site itself tells you that if you use the OU in the UK the courses are subsidised by the UK Government. If you use the OU outside the UK you don't get the subsidy. No doubt, like everything else, the subsidy will vary depending on the type of course being studied.