Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone suffered with new allergies since moving to Australia / WA?

Has anyone suffered with new allergies since moving to Australia / WA?

Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Has anyone suffered with new allergies since moving to Australia / WA?

Hi there.

I am starting to think I might be suffering from allergies since moving to WA. I've had numerous ear infections to and just wondered if this has been the case for anyone else.

Poppet
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

dpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to alldpande is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone suffered with new allergies since moving to Australia / WA?

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
Hi there.

I am starting to think I might be suffering from allergies since moving to WA. I've had numerous ear infections to and just wondered if this has been the case for anyone else.

Poppet
The cat has developed hay fever since moving to WA!
Old Apr 20th 2009, 2:38 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone suffered with new allergies since moving to Australia / WA?

Hi there.

Poppet
It happens to most of us to some degree. There are hundreds of new viruses and hundreds more different plants and animals that your body has never been exposed to here. My first year here I had 3 ear infections and spent our first Christmas here extremely ill with pneumonia after suffering with a bladder infection which couldn't be touched by the first 3 lots of antibiotics. Even now, nearly 3 years on I still get the itchy eyes, runny nose at this time of year.

Funny, on Thursday just past I was talking to someone else who was saying she has been sick since moving here 7 months ago.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

After spending 3 weeks on holiday(from South Africa) around the Sunshine Coast,my 5 year old developed a mystery allergy with red welts covering his entire body.We had him at 3 different doctors who were equally puzzled so after 5 days of many different drugs,he improved.Still don't know what it was but now since our return to SA,he is suffering from hayfever poor lamb.Not much hope with a mum and dad full of allergies too.Maybe he was allergic to OZ
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

EverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really niceEverydaySunshine is just really nice

Hi I think it's your immune system getting used to the lovely fresh air . It's definitely quite a leap from the limited outdoor life one has in the UK! Hope you get better soon. I don't mean just outdoor but I know people who have moved over and they feel so much healthier since doing so. Your infections could be a result of getting used to life in WA.
Old Apr 21st 2009, 7:47 pm
Lets Rock !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute4500 Times has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.

Poppet
I always suffered from Hay Fever back in the uK but never been troubled here.

The only thing i suffer with now is sweat rashes :curse:
Old Apr 21st 2009, 8:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 4500 Times
I always suffered from Hay Fever back in the uK but never been troubled here.

The only thing i suffer with now is sweat rashes :curse:
Me too, no problem with Hay Fever now but unfortunately seem to have developed massive allergy to Mozzie bites, each time I get bitten they swell up alarmingly! (That's why I am up so early - damn itching!)
Old Apr 21st 2009, 11:50 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Me too, no problem with Hay Fever now but unfortunately seem to have developed massive allergy to Mozzie bites, each time I get bitten they swell up alarmingly! (That's why I am up so early - damn itching!)
I used to get golf ball sized lumps come up when I got bitten by a mozzie - seems I was allergic to them. It really made me miserable when I got bitten and was one reason we settled in Melbourne because there are less mozzies here.

I had my allergy cleared by a method called NATE (Natural Allergy Therapy Elimination - or something) and it worked. Now I don't care if I get bitten by mozzies - and am thinking of moving somewhere warmer.

This NATE method also worked on my OH's dairy allergy. She used to get hives and asthma from even the smallest amount of dairy, and now she eats cake, cream, butter, cheese, etc with no problem. It's a bit of a new-age method, using acupuncture points, but it works.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

hitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond reputehitchcock71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
It happens to most of us to some degree. There are hundreds of new viruses and hundreds more different plants and animals that your body has never been exposed to here. My first year here I had 3 ear infections and spent our first Christmas here extremely ill with pneumonia after suffering with a bladder infection which couldn't be touched by the first 3 lots of antibiotics. Even now, nearly 3 years on I still get the itchy eyes, runny nose at this time of year.

Funny, on Thursday just past I was talking to someone else who was saying she has been sick since moving here 7 months ago.
think this is very true

my family last yr had every virus and illness known to man - i think one or another was coughing or sneezing for 5 months straight

for the last 6 months they have been really healthy - apart from hubby whos got man flu and seems to have to tell me every 2 mins hes ill

in every country it was my oh who was bitten by mozzies - i was never bitten ozzie mozzie love me ! and the golf ball lumps i get after show that iam allergic to them

my astma is better - not had one attack or used my puffer since i have been here ( nov 07)
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Flutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud ofFlutterby has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnnyx0
I used to get golf ball sized lumps come up when I got bitten by a mozzie - seems I was allergic to them. It really made me miserable when I got bitten and was one reason we settled in Melbourne because there are less mozzies here.

I had my allergy cleared by a method called NATE (Natural Allergy Therapy Elimination - or something) and it worked. Now I don't care if I get bitten by mozzies - and am thinking of moving somewhere warmer.

This NATE method also worked on my OH's dairy allergy. She used to get hives and asthma from even the smallest amount of dairy, and now she eats cake, cream, butter, cheese, etc with no problem. It's a bit of a new-age method, using acupuncture points, but it works.
Thanks Johnny, will look into this. I don't get bitten often but when I do (and have been bitten twice in last 2 weeks) they swell up. The last one ended up 4 inches wide, now I have one on the side of my foot which is itching like mad!!!!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:45 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

I'm allergic to most Australians under the age of 50.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:07 am
K14
Forum Regular

K14 will become famous soon enoughK14 will become famous soon enough

Hi there.

Poppet

My husband suffered really badly with hayfever in UK and doesn't seem to get it here He's another one that has manflu regularly in either country

Lucky me got hayfever really mildly in the UK and suffer really badly here I also got really bad heat rash in February (that I haven't had for over 20 years) took ages to go and was really painful.

Both our girls have asthma and eczema. The one with asthma is slightly worse over here. The one with eczema is about the same as UK - swimming pool chlorine doesn't help very much but luckily she's not too bad. They both react badly to mossie bites and have golf ball or bigger swellings. I don't think I've ever used so much antihistimines - and not even the normal antihistimines, had to use the old style ones that are more powerful.

Also when we first got here we were told that colds here are really bad, not just sniffles, we giggled a bit as of course we're used to colds living in UK. Hmmm not so funny when we all came down with them, seemed to really knock us out for ages.

One of my friends suffered for ages when she first got here - turned out the filter in the air con unit hadn't been cleaned for ages, once that was changed she was alot better.

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 6:13 am
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Flutterby
Thanks Johnny, will look into this. I don't get bitten often but when I do (and have been bitten twice in last 2 weeks) they swell up. The last one ended up 4 inches wide, now I have one on the side of my foot which is itching like mad!!!!
The treatment's either NATE or NAET - can't remember which.... but it really has helped. Good luck!
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

tuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nicetuppins is just really nice

My skin looks much worse here, i have teeny pink spots all over my cheeks on a daily basis
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

bubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud ofbubbles08 has much to be proud of

hi Everydaysunshine..............i dont know were you get limiteted outdoorlife in uk from,we have been back since december and we have had really good weather here.
its lovely today with blue skies,my children are outside more over here than they were in OZ.When the heat came it was too hot for them to be outside.They too were quite often covered in rashes,and i was too.The worst heat rash ever.
Its great to open the french doors out onto the lush green lawn and let the girls run around knowing they are not going to be bitten by mossies or spiders.They think its great that there is nothing that will kill them in the grass!
We were in Perth and they constantly had temperatures and viruses.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.