Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone successfully applied for a HECS grant?

Has anyone successfully applied for a HECS grant?

Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough
Default Has anyone successfully applied for a HECS grant?

Hi,

Have you recently applied for and successfully received a Higher Education Contribution Scheme grant (HECS) in Australia?

My two children have come with us to continue their university education in Brisbane and would welcome the opportunity to receive a student grant similar to that available in the UK.

Any info, advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Phil and Co, Brisbane
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Glasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgowlass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone successfully applied for a HECS grant?

I didn't do this recently but the HECS scheme just enables you to defer payment of your course to tax. To get a weekly payment you have you apply for Govt assistance (from memory).
Old Dec 26th 2007, 10:27 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Debsy did last year. Email her, she's not on here that often. Although saying that, she'll probably pop up now
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:07 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Yes, Debsy did last year. Email her, she's not on here that often. Although saying that, she'll probably pop up now
lol call my name Pen?
Hecs is not a student grant as such - it is a scheme where you are able to defer payment of your uni fees until you graduate or earn - don't quote me- around $35k per annum.

You may also apply for austudy but that will depend on your income.

Debs
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

bugger me, how do you do that????????????
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:27 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

I think you have to be a citizen to apply for HECS and/or austudy. am i right?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

HECS is a fee and it is up to you when you pay it. You get a discount for up front payment and a small interest levied if you choose to pay it after you get to earn the required amount post graduation.
Youth Allowance or Austudy are complex - they are apparently available to "Australian residents" but are means tested (parental assets and income) so many kids dont even come close to qualifying. http://www.counselling.qut.edu.au/mo...ls/austudy.jsp

Further Education in Aus costs $$$ one way or another!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

HECS benifits are only available to you if you are a citizen.

When you join a course you have to pay a fee for that course. If you are PR you pay the full amount upfront before you start.

With HECS you have two options.

1) You can pay the full amount minus the relevant discount upfront.

2) You can choose to pay the full amount, but defer the payment until you start earning a certain amount of money.

So in other words, you are not given any money, like a UK grant, but you can choose not to pay money upfront. But as I said - the HECS options are only available to citizens.

Hope that helps

Rudi
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:45 pm

jackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nicejackass is just really nice

Originally Posted by Rudi
HECS benifits are only available to you if you are a citizen.

When you join a course you have to pay a fee for that course. If you are PR you pay the full amount upfront before you start.

With HECS you have two options.

1) You can pay the full amount minus the relevant discount upfront.

2) You can choose to pay the full amount, but defer the payment until you start earning a certain amount of money.

So in other words, you are not given any money, like a UK grant, but you can choose not to pay money upfront. But as I said - the HECS options are only available to citizens.

Hope that helps

Rudi
yup, as i thought. and i think the permanent resident option only refers to a humanitarian visa grant.

glad im on the right page
Old Dec 26th 2007, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: UK 2 Singapore 2 Sydney 2 Brisbane.....here to stay!
Rudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond reputeRudi has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's all explained here:

http://www.goingtouni.gov.au/

Happy reading!!!

Rudi
Old Dec 28th 2007, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

Philhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the roughPhilhowe is a jewel in the rough

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to your comments, my internet access failed and has just been resurrected.

Spot on the with the advice, our 136 PR visas do not allow for any concessions however we may be able to get assistance through the commonwealth at the universities discretion depending on the course details.

We have started saving as the first payments are due in April….

Phil & Co