http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/2575009.stm

http://news.monstersandcritics.com/u...torm__Roundup_

http://www.aksuperstation.com/news/local/3415641.html

http://english.peopledaily.com.cn/20...5_114588.shtml

To name but a few ...

I opted for insurance tho ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone shipped without insurance

Originally Posted by clan_campbell View Post
Snap ! - we thought the same and weighed it up against the risk - just didn't
stack up - how many container ships have you heard sinking
They might not sink often, but loss of containers is common - and it might just be the container will all your things.

Last edited by hoofie2002; Jan 4th 2008 at 3:55 am. Reason: clarification
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

kerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nicekerikerr is just really nice

Going to get insurrance with cheapest quote we can get, however, it does feel like money down the drain when so many people have had problems getting payouts with all the small print, that quite frankly I cannot be bothered reading at this stage in the game.............perhaps more fool me right enough
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

They can also drop containers at the dock even if the boat doesn't sink.

Things can also 'go missing'. Just a few of our things did, plus just a few breakages..... We were fully insured and our claims were paid immediately.

We once had a tree fall through our roof. We didn't expect that, but all that expensive insurance stuff seemed like a good idea at the time.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:23 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
Going to get insurrance with cheapest quote we can get, however, it does feel like money down the drain when so many people have had problems getting payouts with all the small print, that quite frankly I cannot be bothered reading at this stage in the game.............perhaps more fool me right enough
Yeah Letton Percival's 'small print' included a bit about Plasma TV's not being covered, but John Mason DID build a decent wooden box to transport it in (£25 charge) and we've kept that for future transportation ...
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:35 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
We didn't expect that,
Why not? ...

Hope no one was hurt.
Old Jan 4th 2008, 10:55 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulandNic View Post
Why not? ...

Hope no one was hurt.
It was January and the last tree to fall over was during summertime (UK) and it didn't hit the house. Nobody was hurt but it was a bit chilly for 3 months until they fixed the hole in the roof (tarps don't offer much insulation).

We really do believe in insurance now.

It amazes me how much people are prepared to pay to insure a car but other things are thought disposable. If you can afford to lose everything you ship then why not save the expense of shipping as well?
Old Jan 4th 2008, 11:03 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by lesleys View Post
It was January and the last tree to fall over was during summertime (UK) and it didn't hit the house. Nobody was hurt but it was a bit chilly for 3 months until they fixed the hole in the roof (tarps don't offer much insulation).

We really do believe in insurance now.

It amazes me how much people are prepared to pay to insure a car but other things are thought disposable. If you can afford to lose everything you ship then why not save the expense of shipping as well?
Oh 'tarps' ... yeah I remember having our extension done back in the UK. Tarps on the roof for weeks and we ended up with about 10 mice that we didn't buy from the pet shop as guests ...lol

We dithered with insurance for our stuff admittedly, but when you think what you'll be left with if the ship was go down, or some clumsy git on the crane taking it off the ship slips on a lever or whatever and it gets dropped from 20 foot etc ... it made sense to pay for it!

I would go for it again.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

chrisk8 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some good reasons to insure even if you only insure a bit!!!!!

Check out the pics

Chris
Attached Thumbnails Has anyone shipped without insurance-crushed-container.png   Has anyone shipped without insurance-disaster2007_genoa2.gif   Has anyone shipped without insurance-high-seas-damage.jpg  
Old Jan 5th 2008, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

clougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond reputeclougherty family has a reputation beyond repute

We used Letton Percival on the way back to the UK and it was much cheaper and the service was excellent. A couple of things got broken and they paid the money straight into our bank account. The bloke's name is Brian Naughton and he's really helpful.

Jo
Old Jan 5th 2008, 2:05 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

I work currently in international household goods shipping.

I would say 10-20% of moves have stuff damaged/broken. The crew do the job day in day out and no matter how good they are, time is usually of an essense and it's not their stuff, so while you might carefully wrap your vase given to you for a wedding present (for example) to the guys packing, it's usually in a box with tissue paper crumpled in next to it. Furniture often gets scratched or marked too.

Full containers aren't such a problem with missing items/good not turning up etc, but shared containers can have this occasionally - I currently have a customer in Dubai who is missing 2 paintings and a box - she has no insurance. Lucky they have found one painting (worth £2000) in the local warehouse in Dubai, but the other goods may have disappeared into the abyss.

This is not just my company - the company I work for has a number of good comments (and a couple bad) on this forum; but all companies.

A good experience can often come down to a good crew and a good coordinator in the office. So back to insurance - I agree it depends on your stuff. You can insure what you want and you don't have to insure the goods for what they are worth, but bear in mind if you insure your dining table for 50% of it's real value, if you have to claim you will also have the claim reduce by 50%.

Another poster mentioned that if the ship sinks that they would get their money back, well our company does not pay out for a ship sinking you would not get your removal costs back or the goods value - check into the fine print on your removal terms and conditions.

I am shipping my goods back to Australia in 3 months and I will be taking total loss insurance for my cartons, and all risks insurance for my TV and games consoles (not taking anything else).

Lastly -haggle with the company. We often come down by .5% to 1% if it means securing the insurance if the customer asks.
Old Jan 6th 2008, 1:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerikerr View Post
We are using Crown for our shipping to Brisbane and have found that they want over £1000 for insurance ontop of the £3500 to ship our stuff to Brisbane. Have looked at other companies and can get it for £366, but just wondering if anyone has shipped without insurance???
I did!! the ship docked at fremantle on 30th dec so i should hopefully get my boxes soon when i will be able to let you know if it was worth the risk