British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Has anyone shipped without insurance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-anyone-shipped-without-insurance-503275/)

kerikerr Jan 3rd 2008 3:13 pm

Has anyone shipped without insurance

We are using Crown for our shipping to Brisbane and have found that they want over £1000 for insurance ontop of the £3500 to ship our stuff to Brisbane. Have looked at other companies and can get it for £366, but just wondering if anyone has shipped without insurance???

ianhutch1 Jan 3rd 2008 3:17 pm

Re: Has anyone shipped without insurance

You can just arrange your own insurance, that sounds ridiculous on the quotes we have had from four movers they have all quoted insurance at about 2.5 - 3%.

Scrawni 2 Jan 3rd 2008 3:21 pm

What have you put down to insure? We have only insured the electrical stuff, large items of furniture and only thing we would find difficult to replace. Bedding, odds and sods have not been insured. This brought ours down to £511.

bluejohn Jan 3rd 2008 3:22 pm

The insurance seems a bit steep.I can't really help,we were insured. I wouldn't recommend shipping without insurance. Best of luck with it, every penny counts I know.

kerikerr Jan 3rd 2008 4:19 pm

I know, we thought it was ridiculous as well! We'll probably do some more scouting about for quotes, although cutting it a bit fine as we're leaving in 2 weeks:eek:

cathy_rainbow Jan 3rd 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by kerikerr (Post 5734679)
I know, we thought it was ridiculous as well! We'll probably do some more scouting about for quotes, although cutting it a bit fine as we're leaving in 2 weeks:eek:

Our insurance came to about the same (with Pickfords) but it is "new for old" with the value of replacing goods at destination taken into account.
i wanted to do without it but then I thought back to seeing those containers washed up on a UK beach last year and seeing all peoples worldly goods destryed. And that tanker got grounded yesterday too (or the day before).
Just not brave enought to do without...
Cthy

MOONLIGHT Jan 3rd 2008 6:54 pm

I found the insurance a nightmare to do..mind it was 2.30am and i just needed sleep :rofl: In the end i insured the expensive items and just worked on £100 per box for the other things. If we lost all our photo's, home videos etc no amount of insurance money can replace them :unsure:

Blossom Jan 3rd 2008 8:42 pm

See my post on another thread about shipping insurance!

asher Jan 3rd 2008 9:55 pm

You probably won't need the insurance and that's fine but what if the boat sinks?

we have been in that situation in the past and I can tell you that replacing all the odds and sods let alone the big stuff costs a lot we were seriously underinsured but many had no insurance at all and it crippled them financially!

try Letton Percival for insurance:thumbsup:

donna Jan 3rd 2008 11:26 pm

yep ,percival letton are cheaper,i fully intended to use them but forgot altogether.I had a few moments where i had my fingers crossed ,didnt tell hubby until right near the end when the container was delay though:rofl:

datamile Jan 4th 2008 12:11 am

Insurance is just playing the statistics game. They charge 2.5 %, make .5%, and payout 2% in claims, so 1 in 50 must be unlucky.

Either you think it won't happen to you, or it will, or you do it for peace of mind. Like comprehensive car insurance, no one expects to wack their car into a tree, or for their container to fall of the boat, get dropped by the crane, or leak.

chris and farideh Jan 4th 2008 12:12 am

Originally Posted by kerikerr (Post 5734450)
We are using Crown for our shipping to Brisbane and have found that they want over £1000 for insurance ontop of the £3500 to ship our stuff to Brisbane. Have looked at other companies and can get it for £366, but just wondering if anyone has shipped without insurance???

We went with crown, I wish you wouldnt, but that's another matter, we had loads of our stuff damaged, by them, they kept half our stuff in UK, because they couldnt get it all in the 20ft container they quoted us for, any way we took insurance, but they very were happy to take the money of us, but have problem getting it back of them for the damages, so I suggest what you are going to pay for the insurance keep it, if any of your stuff get damage buy it with the money you were going to pay for their insurance.:curse:

P.S. we used percival letton, just because they were cheaper, now we know the reason they dont pay out, its all win win for the insurance company.

PaulandNic Jan 4th 2008 12:40 am

As I started reading this thread I was trying to remember the name of the company we used.

Originally Posted by donna (Post 5736172)
percival letton

Ta da!

We used John Mason and they use this mob. Go direct and save ££££'s

http://www.lettonpercival.co.uk/

curly Jan 4th 2008 1:23 am

We never bothered :o

Figured worse case scenario - it sinks! we'd get the £3,000 back, seeing as a lot of our stuff was sentimental and wasn't worth much, and sentimental items couldn't be replaced anyway.

clan_campbell Jan 4th 2008 2:11 am

Originally Posted by curly (Post 5736498)
We never bothered :o

Figured worse case scenario - it sinks! we'd get the £3,000 back, seeing as a lot of our stuff was sentimental and wasn't worth much, and sentimental items couldn't be replaced anyway.

Snap ! - we thought the same and weighed it up against the risk - just didn't
stack up - how many container ships have you heard sinking ;)