Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has Anyone Shipped A Piano

Has Anyone Shipped A Piano

Old Sep 25th 2005, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future
Default Has Anyone Shipped A Piano

hI Has anyone shipped a piano. Would it need to be fumigated? it's 1920 walnut. If anyone has shipped one has it coped well with the change of temperature. The shipping company said it would be fine but I read that the sound board would crack with all the temperature and humidity changes.
Old Sep 25th 2005, 10:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Has Anyone Shipped A Piano

Originally Posted by canaveral
hI Has anyone shipped a piano. Would it need to be fumigated? it's 1920 walnut. If anyone has shipped one has it coped well with the change of temperature. The shipping company said it would be fine but I read that the sound board would crack with all the temperature and humidity changes.
No sorry, but I remenber the PG Tips ad., do you?

You humm it, I`ll play it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 25th 2005, 11:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

We shipped a modern digital one which was fine but I don't suppose that helps you very much. Very little stuff got damaged when we came over though and wood didn't split, jayes fluid didn't make everything stink and stuff didn't arrive damp or damaged (these were just some of my worries).

If the removers have said it'll be ok then it would be insured if any damage happened (if you took out insurance of course) and I'm sure it would be cheaper to ship and repair than to sell and rebuy out here.

I have no regrets about anything I brought with me & everything I cleaned and had repaired before we came was worth it... I just wish I hadn't left some things at home (which weren't explicitly refused by immigration) because I'd been scared off by some other posters who'd read something somewhere.

Finally it may be worth checking if you can have a faster shipment - our removers couldn't make our packing date but could do it a couple of weeks later, put it on a faster ship that didn't stop of en-route and only charged us an extra £80 which considering the cost of everything was nothing. I suppose it meant there was less chance of damage because there was less exposure to humidity and climate change.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

canaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant futurecanaveral has a brilliant future
Smile Re: Has Anyone Shipped A Piano

I have no regrets about anything I brought with me & everything I cleaned and had repaired before we came was worth it... I just wish I hadn't left some things at home (which weren't explicitly refused by immigration) because I'd been scared off by some other posters who'd read something somewhere.

Thanks for that info Flip. I really want to take it and I think I would regret it if I did not
Old Sep 26th 2005, 6:55 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

It could turn into "a right old song & dance"

:O)

Sorry couldn't resist...
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

Louiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to beholdLouiselondon is a splendid one to behold

I cant give you any advice Im afraid but let me know how you got on, my husband is insisting on shipping a motorbike and sidecar which he lovingly restored!!! They are going to love us in Melbourne!!!

Louise
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:06 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

If it helps, I shipped a VW Kombi from Oz to the UK, they put it in one of them big metal containers, and then tied it down to stop it moving. They then boarded around it with sheets of plywood to stop other things falling on it so they could add more stuff in the container. It arrived safely, although a piano is a lot more fragile. Also don't forget that its likely to go by sea, so could be choppy and get moved about?
Old Sep 26th 2005, 7:21 pm
Hilton`s

Hilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to allHilton`s is a name known to all

I haven`t personally my my friend Jane arrived in Brisbale 5 weeks ago and
she shipped a baby grand piano and I think it was fine, but hopefully if she
reads this thread she will reply to you as I know she still comes on to BE.

If you read this Jane "HI"

Tracey x
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:20 pm
Badge

Sorry to put a damper on things, but apparently there is no culture in Australia and if you have a piano, especially a Grand Piano - you'll be up yourself(!), you will be ostrachised and people will stop talking when they see you in the supermarket and point.

Lose it quick! :scared:

Seriously, can't help, but I know a fair few families with them. Might even get one for the kid - he/she can play, I'll sing.

cheers

Badge

Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

manxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond reputemanxfamily has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I seen a piano getting shipped anywhere was when Laural and Hardy tried to get it up that flight of stairs. Now that was amusing!
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:52 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

we shipped 2 no problems.
Old Sep 26th 2005, 10:52 pm
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeap... shipped mine. Still on the ship though - hopefully arriving today. They said they will gas it and definitelty have a look at the wood.

so let's hope all is OK :scared:
Old Sep 26th 2005, 11:24 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't there a film about moving a piano down under. Can't remember what it's called though.
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:18 am
going with the wind

sim1112 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by diddy
Isn't there a film about moving a piano down under. Can't remember what it's called though.

You mean "The Piano" ... I think this was to New Zealand though
Old Sep 27th 2005, 12:30 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sim1112
You mean "The Piano" ... I think this was to New Zealand though

I was joking...........badly.

Paul.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.