Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone opened up an Australian bank account

Has anyone opened up an Australian bank account

Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Suet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone opened up an Australian bank account

that you can still access from UK ?

thinking of opening an account to store any "spare" money we have but obviously don't want to lost it if our application fails.

anyone have any advice even if it's to say "don't bother"
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice
Smile Re: Has anyone opened up an Australian bank account

Hey, that's a good question, Suet ... unfortunately i have no answer but keen to know whether the same can be done and access from Singapore.

Anyone of you out there knows .... can help ...
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anyone opened up an Australian bank account

Commonwealth Bank of Australia do

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/moving_to_australia/

Mikey
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:37 am
Just Joined

Suet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant futureSuet has a brilliant future

thank you just phoned them and can be done, but not the usual way they do things, just need to make an appointment to attend offices and verify our details with passport and utility bills.
so that's good news
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

We aren't moving out for at least a year but just wondered out of interest how long before you move out you are allowed to open an account?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

dave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond reputedave99 has a reputation beyond repute

most banks do online banking but keep in mind they have charges here that you dont get in the UK, some accounts have a standing charge to keep it open that you pay monthly

Australian banks are some of the richest in the world the greedy buggers
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

well as I said we have only just started visa application, haven't even lodged any documentation with anyone yet OH has to do an RPL. just thinking it would be a good move now as you're getting more for your sterling money and thought as we had some spare money putting it into Aus $ might be a good move, and means we can pay DIAC from there knowing we had the Aus $ amount rather than worrying about the increasing £ and getting less later on from it.

does that make sense ?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:37 pm
Just Joined

well need to make an appointment as I said previously, so can ask them on the phone about any charges so thanks for that
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

sram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nicesram466 is just really nice

Hey, thanks i try to ring those Australia Banks in Singapore to confirm whether such a facility is available here.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:02 pm
Beach Bum

Location: living it large on the beautiful Mornington Penninsula
paul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud ofpaul30 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lorrielou
We aren't moving out for at least a year but just wondered out of interest how long before you move out you are allowed to open an account?
opened an account with NAB in october 07 online went on holiday to Au in december 07 (while still waiting on my visa) and did all the security stuff at the bank and I fly to Aus permanently on the 18th of this month so had my account for over a year before moving
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

tideclothing is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suet

thinking of opening an account to store any "spare" money we have but obviously don't want to lost it if our application fails.

i also want to know it,
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:58 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

I opened up accounts with Westpac from London. Had to go into their offices to be 'sighted' along with passport (and a utility bill if memory serves but I can't be sure any more).

Since I was referred to Westpac by HiFX (was initially looking into transferring money to Oz but got side-tracked), they waved the monthly maintenance fee for the first 6 months (there's no fee after 6 months).

I ended up with 2 bank accounts - checking & savings. Savings account has a good interest rate and I can move money within Oz pretty much freely.

Haven't looked into moving money to/from the UK yet but I was planning on using HiFX for this when the time comes.

- CDM
Old Nov 11th 2008, 4:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=CDM;6961953]I opened up accounts with Westpac from London. Had to go into their offices to be 'sighted' along with passport (and a utility bill if memory serves but I can't be sure any more).

Just wondering if you have to go to London or are there any around the country?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:06 pm
CDM
BE Enthusiast

CDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud ofCDM has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Lorrielou;6962294]
Originally Posted by CDM
I opened up accounts with Westpac from London. Had to go into their offices to be 'sighted' along with passport (and a utility bill if memory serves but I can't be sure any more).

Just wondering if you have to go to London or are there any around the country?
I don't know to be honest. I went into their London branch because it was convenient to me as I work[ed] in London.

- CDM
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Suet

In my(opinion)dont use Commonwealth net bank if you are still in
uk ,thay tend to take ages to resolve any problems you may have,
a friend was charged none resident tax for having a cockney
accent even as he is a au resident and has a tfn,thay did resolve the problem but took weeks you want it to go smooth when your life savings are on the line.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.