Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:41 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I am constantly aghast at how awfully people seem to dress here, especially the girls, it seems like either they dressed during a blackout or their mothers truly hate their offspring and said 'you look nice dear'. Few people have any sense of balance, cololur, fit and texture - all I see is such a mixmatch effort of a retard..

Half the young women dress so badly they would make a cheap prostitute in Thailand look like a refined lady and the other half look like they have hacked their way through their grannies' and mum's clothes from the 1980s while blindfolded.

Am I the only one who has noticed?

My wife and I actually have so much fun just watching people, its like free comedy and we get to have a good laugh..it just seems to be happening more and more often!:

:curse:
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:51 pm
Kym

Kymus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Has anyone noticed how people dress here?

I have never written on the forum's before but something compelled me to this time, I kinda know what this guy is on about the aussie don't have such great style generally but I guess thats all part of being an aussie,it goes with the layed back life style, which I am really looking forward to. the other thing I am really looking forward to is the Aussie's don't take life to seriously hence not being bother what they wear or what people think of what they wear, so I guess this guy (sorry don't recall his name who wrote in the first place) is getting use to the Australian way & feeling free to light heartedly comment on fashion in Australia, o.k so saying retard is not P.C but again isn't that one of the great things about Oz its all abit more real & relaxed maybe we all need to learn to be more light hearted, just my feelings.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:57 pm
I've got time . . . . .

temptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to beholdtemptininnit is a splendid one to behold

Welcome Kymus!!

Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:04 pm
Kym

Kymus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by temptininnit
Welcome Kymus!!

Thank you, its a bit strange writing on here after sitting & reading all these forums for the last couple of months & now seeing little me up there te-he
Old Mar 26th 2007, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

emmakc1977 is an unknown quantity at this point

These forums get way too aggressive sometimes - is there any need??!!!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 9:35 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alexleeson
I am constantly aghast at how awfully people seem to dress here, especially the girls, it seems like either they dressed during a blackout or their mothers truly hate their offspring and said 'you look nice dear'. Few people have any sense of balance, cololur, fit and texture - all I see is such a mixmatch effort of a retard..

Half the young women dress so badly they would make a cheap prostitute in Thailand look like a refined lady and the other half look like they have hacked their way through their grannies' and mum's clothes from the 1980s while blindfolded.

Am I the only one who has noticed?
No I think your just the only one who hasnt noticed that this is Australia and nobody gives a stuff how you dress. Climate = dress for comfort and not for style and I hate to say it but if your hung up on designer labels and such then people are sniggering behind your back.

I'd rather see todays youth looking like a colourful surfer than a wanna be black american rap star or the generic "look I shop in Next like every other lemming" people who've failed to notice the 57 other people that day wearing the same thing.

Get with the program and enjoy life more and stop caring what other people wear, afterall it sunny again and its another beaut day in Australia!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Soon to be seen in the MBTUK forum ?

Sorry - i've had a glass or 2 of that naughty aclkeehol
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:22 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I think some people have too much time on their hands and too little thought about how to fill it. Picking on a nation - made up of hundreds of different nationalities - over their dress sense seems the ultimate of sadness. Reminds me of someone - can't remember who and don't care - who was moving back to the UK because people didn't appreciate them for wearing designer labels.

Not sure I have noticed any difference between dress here and the UK, but then I don't look and certainly don't care what someone else is wearing.

I noticed the retard nonsense but as iPom says, thought it said more about the OP than the nonsense about clothing.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:30 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I think some people have too much time on their hands and too little thought about how to fill it. Picking on a nation - made up of hundreds of different nationalities - over their dress sense seems the ultimate of sadness. Reminds me of someone - can't remember who and don't care - who was moving back to the UK because people didn't appreciate them for wearing designer labels.

Not sure I have noticed any difference between dress here and the UK, but then I don't look and certainly don't care what someone else is wearing.

I noticed the retard nonsense but as iPom says, thought it said more about the OP than the nonsense about clothing.
well put, i'd like give to the OP the benefit of the doubt and believe this to be a flippant post written without thought
judging people on their appearance has no merit imo

Last edited by gedge; Mar 27th 2007 at 2:01 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Reminds me of someone - can't remember who and don't care - who was moving back to the UK because people didn't appreciate them for wearing designer labels.

You're having me on - surely not ? No I mean seriously surely not ? - how sad !
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok - I have refrained - however!

My daughter aged 9 gets called a retard among other things by her peers because she's dyslexic (whoever decided to spell it like that?) and different.

Perhaps it's about time you took a long hard look at your values and morals before you start mutterings about how other people dress!
Old Mar 26th 2007, 11:40 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenix_uk
You're having me on - surely not ? No I mean seriously surely not ? - how sad !
Sadly true although after getting a hammering the tune was changed. I am quite grateful for people like this because if I am feeling rubbish for whatever reason, it makes me feel better about myself
Old Mar 27th 2007, 12:49 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm more curious to hear about his experience of cheap Thai prostitutes.
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:00 am
Crazy Cat Lady

Originally Posted by iPom
I'm more curious to hear about his experience of cheap Thai prostitutes.
You worry me
Old Mar 27th 2007, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Points I would make are:

i) Some of the clothes on sale in Australian suburban malls are not the best - this is mitigated by the fact that even the well off tend to dress more 'country' to fit the Aussie lifestyle, climate and whim. Having said that, considered and properly considered purchases from other retailers may not disappoint so much.

ii) In the inner cities, some people dress very well indeed - and have the bodies as well.

iii) Your typical Brit tends to have access to reasonably good quality mass produced clothing. Unfortunately everyone wears it and a Friday or Saturday night can yield amusing results.

There is nothing worse than recent Brit migrants dressed like Next catalogue rejects. Doesn't look right in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.