Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

HAs anyone moved to AUS and undertaken an apprenticeship as a mature trainee?

HAs anyone moved to AUS and undertaken an apprenticeship as a mature trainee?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:41 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HAs anyone moved to AUS and undertaken an apprenticeship as a mature trainee?

Being 34 years old and blessed with very little in the skill department (well, very little that I could 'legally' earn money from ) I have recently been looking at becoming an apprentice.

Not too sure what in yet, but I am looking at the usual trade suspects - brickying, sparky, plumber etc.......Bricklayer is currently favourite!

Would love to hear from anyone else that has done this and their experiences.

I was recently offered a job as a trainee train driver with QR but that meant moving North to Mackay, (bit of a hole to say the least) so that has been turned down.

Last edited by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer; Apr 21st 2008 at 1:31 am.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 3:37 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: HAs anyone moved to AUS and undertaken an apprenticeship as a mature trainee?

Originally Posted by FluffyTheCampfireSlayer
Being 34 years old and blessed with very little in the skill department (well, very little that I could 'legally' earn money from ) I have recently been looking at becoming an apprentice.

Not too sure what in yet, but I am looking at the usual trade suspects - brickying, sparky, plumber etc.......Bricklayer is currently favourite!

I was recently offered a job as a trainee train driver with QR but that meant moving North to Mackay, (bit of a hole to say the least) so that has been turned down.
I did but went on a traineeship instead, worked out better for me as I got the full wage not an apprenticeships wage. Worth looking into though, I thought this was it my last chance to do something different, new country etc and new beginnings and why not a career change at the same time.
Mature students are always helped more I reckon, and lets put it anothre way there seems to be an utter lack of initative over here in the younger age bracket so we are held in high regard so to speak.

Give it a go you never know what will happen in the future.
jenn
Old Apr 21st 2008, 10:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HAs anyone moved to AUS and undertaken an apprenticeship as a mature trainee?

Mr P is a mature apprentice.-3rs year

He took a pre-app course at a TAFE - paid by himself. Then he looked for a job, and an aircon firm took him on. They pay him 52 weeks per year and he pays his course fees.
He earns same wage as 19 year olds, but soon should be earning a proper wage.

It has been really good for him, even though here in Vic, the powers that be are pratting around with the qualifications and he is not sure what he needs to do at the end of his apprenticeship to work under his own jurisdiction. (Licencing council are still deciding how it will work, so not just Mr P being confused)
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

OH did this in order to get his electrical qualification recognised (do a search of my threads if you want to hear the very loooong story)

If you can afford to live off the crap wages you're paid, and you dont mind doing all the shitty jobs or being told to do them by blokes half your age without a brain cell between them then you should be OK.

OH didnt mind, only reason he gave up was because they wanted him to do the whole 4 years as the local TAFE couldnt be arsed to fast track his TAFE bit (bearing in mind he had the bit of paper, it was the hands on he needed)

Good luck
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:19 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Why dont ya go into Air Conditioning. ?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 9:16 pm

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Why dont ya go into Air Conditioning. ?
Dont know really Ste, never really considered it. Would you recommend it then?
Old Apr 21st 2008, 11:05 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Why not ?

Its an honest living, seasonal lol.. so you get a few months off per year
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Why not ?

Its an honest living, seasonal lol.. so you get a few months off per year

Hubby is an apprentice plumber, installing aircon and he has no slack times of the year- wish he did!

(even a mate who is a refridgeration bloke works all year round!)
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 2:48 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Good money too. But you would need to do all the taffe crap.