Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone here taken or are you taking your pets

has anyone here taken or are you taking your pets

Old Nov 12th 2005, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

zbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to allzbettyboop is a name known to all
Default Re: has anyone here taken or are you taking your pets

the female of the species is more deadly than the male

beth
Old Nov 12th 2005, 8:13 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Brought my two cats with me last November and they coped fine with the whole experience unlike the neurotic idiot who brought them over

Used Airpets near Heathrow and they were very good, cost £1100 for the paperwork, vet certs, container, transport etc then there were the fees for 30 days quarantine over here as well. Wouldn't have left them behind whatever it had cost.

This thread may provide some more info and reassurance too:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...2&page=2&pp=15

The AQIS website with all the info forms etc is at:

http://www.daff.gov.au/content/outpu...00060B0AA00014
Old Nov 12th 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Gday we exported 4 dogs, in 2004

I will search debs thread, she did, listing costs etc, and re edit this post

hi Timber
I think we are in a similar position to yourself, we have 3 akitas that we breed/show. how did you find accomodation with 4 dogs when you first arrived? I am really worried about this after hearing that rental properties are very hard to get with pets especially large dogs.

steve
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

LesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to allLesleyM is a name known to all

Originally Posted by birchway
hi Timber
I think we are in a similar position to yourself, we have 3 akitas that we breed/show. how did you find accomodation with 4 dogs when you first arrived? I am really worried about this after hearing that rental properties are very hard to get with pets especially large dogs.

steve
Good question Steve,

I heard the same too about having problems finding rental properties that accept pets too. Hopefully someone will be able to answer.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 10:43 am

Flying Banana is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Good question Steve,

I heard the same too about having problems finding rental properties that accept pets too. Hopefully someone will be able to answer.
Found a rental with two cats no probs, a few places said no but most just wanted either an extra weeks rent as bond or a letter agreeing to put right any damage they cause. Must admit a lot of places said only outdoor dogs allowed so may be more difficult.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 11:30 am
Living in Oz & loving it

rick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura aboutrick07 has a spectacular aura about

hi Timber

steve

Hi Steve,
We are taking an Akita too, just one though.Must be costing you a fortune taking 3!!
Are you going to be showing them in oz?
Where abouts in oz are you going and how well do you think they'll cope with the weather? it's just something thats being bothering me cause they've got such a thick coat!
We've got a bitch, she's 8 years old.Really good dog!
There actually seems to be alot of properties,i thought that take pets in rented properties.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

birchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant futurebirchway has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rick07
Hi Steve,
We are taking an Akita too, just one though.Must be costing you a fortune taking 3!!
Are you going to be showing them in oz?
Where abouts in oz are you going and how well do you think they'll cope with the weather? it's just something thats being bothering me cause they've got such a thick coat!
We've got a bitch, she's 8 years old.Really good dog!
There actually seems to be alot of properties,i thought that take pets in rented properties.

its costing about £2500 for the male and about £2000 each for the bitches but that is only shipping costs
will we be showing them in oz? not sure yet but probably,I think the dogs being shown in the uk are of a lot better quality, so I think the competition would not be as strong
our dogs can be seen at www.birchway.co.uk
we hope to settle in perth or brissie we are going on a reccie in a few months.
One thing that I have learnt about thick coated dogs especially akitas which are triple coated is that as well as protection from the cold, the coat also gives protection against the suns rays, under no circumstances should you trim their coat.but obviously we will have to be very carefull during the extreme hot weather
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:05 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

hi there birchway i had 2 akitas dollar and jean used to show also. just wondering have seen it on sites that there are certain breeds that cannot be taken, american pitbull, tosa, heard staffy's dont think it's true. i'm going to look again probably not true but worth a check, its just what i heard.dollar was the son of rave, redwitch dancin in the dark, his spitting image.

john..

Last edited by jocky boy; Nov 12th 2005 at 12:12 pm.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jocky boy
hi there birchway i had 2 akitas dollar and jean used to show also. just wondering have seen it on sites that there are certain breeds that cannot be taken, american pitbull, tosa, heard staffy's dont think it's true. i'm going to look again probably not true but worth a check, its just what i heard.dollar was the son of rave, redwitch dancin in the dark, his spitting image.

john..
akitas can definetely be taken, they are not on the dangerous dogs list, if they couldn't go neither would I
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:32 pm
jocky boy 'JOHN' DOC'

jocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant futurejocky boy has a brilliant future

glad to hear it. i can relate to that, we fully understand the breed e.t.c it's a shame just some others don't. i now have 2 border collies i wouldnt leave either without them there part of the family.

john.
Old Nov 12th 2005, 12:37 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

The search function is your friend ...

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=315019

Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:24 am

lynnlovessun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LesleyM
Well we did everything ourselves also.

Possibly not logistical to get them same flight as you, and perhaps not a good idea.

Reason being, its better to send your dogs 3-4 weeks before you go. That way they are done in qteeen when you arrive !!!!!!!!

Steve
Steve, the reason we want to travel the same time as us is so that it gives us time to find a rented place to stay and they can come straight from quarantine to us instead of them staying with us at relatives whilst looking for a place to stay and then them having to move again.
I appreciate all the info very much. Its very appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Lesley - I wouldn't have the dogs on the same flight as you either - if there was bad turbulence or anything you'd be panicking and there would be nothing at all you could do to check the dogs were ok at any stage. My dog poppy flew the same day as us but on a later different flight - still gave us the advantage of having 30 days to house hunt (as it was we got a rental house on 2nd day of house hunting!)

Good luck - the dogs cope better than you'd imagine - poppy got there stressed but fine. We are just counting down the days till we can collect her now from Sydney.

Lynn
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:49 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

hi Timber

steve
Okies

this gets a bit complimicated but ill try and help...

Obviously dependant on where you are going, we came and are in Brisbane.

We stayed with friends for 1-2 months. Our dogs, were transported via carrier from sydney to a friends pet motel in South Brisbane.

First up:

You WILL NOT find any property, for sale, posssibly but deffo not for rental that will take 3 dogs.

The ruling in Oz is 2 dogs max !!! FINITUM !

When you own more than 2 dogs, you are classed as a mini kennel, or someat similar. Therefore, no rentals will accept 3 dogs. Trust me it aint gonna happen.

We knew this, and werent in the market for a rental, we wanted to buy. So we bought a place on acreage, and followed the 2 klm or is it 1 klm boundary to boundary of another property with a kennel. Basically you cannot be within a set distance of someone else owning 2 or more dogs. EVEN if you own 100 acres !

We applied, for small kennel license, were refused and given a multi dog license, fter revue and some fees lol

IF !!! you are serious about binging 3 akitas, its possible to do a deal with a local Akita breeder.

You see Breeders , often have a multi dog license, and could offer a temp home for your mutts or a mutt whilst you get sorted, in return you could pay, or pay in kind, ie stud/whelping deal.

If you do, then ensure you get a contract, no puppies can be sold, pure breds without a legally binding breeders contract, debs would know more on her other website www.dogbreedersaustralia.com

You could go the route of Pet Motel, I posted costs further within this thread. You could look for a temp foster home, via LOGAN on here who runs a petsitting operation in Brisbane.

However, if you are deffo gonna rent, then im sorry to say, hat if you wanna stay with your 3 mutts then its nigh on impossible.

I hope to god, you can find a loophole or an alternative, but after nearly spending 30 grand, I think we exhausted all avenues.

Good Luck Steve
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:55 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

its costing about £2500 for the male and about £2000 each for the bitches but that is only shipping costs
will we be showing them in oz? not sure yet but probably,I think the dogs being shown in the uk are of a lot better quality, so I think the competition would not be as strong
our dogs can be seen at www.birchway.co.uk
we hope to settle in perth or brissie we are going on a reccie in a few months.
One thing that I have learnt about thick coated dogs especially akitas which are triple coated is that as well as protection from the cold, the coat also gives protection against the suns rays, under no circumstances should you trim their coat.but obviously we will have to be very carefull during the extreme hot weather
Gday

Debs does dog shows all over Brisbane, and soon inter state.

One of her good friends, is an Akita shower/breeder. If you need any help, shes at a show in a week or two and can ask him for some advice for you.

And yep, dont shear an akita, they cope marvellously with the heat. They are not a banned breed.

Moreover the deal in Oz at the mo, is the legislation of Tail Docking in certain breeds.

Staffies are one of Oz's most popular dogs, so they aint on danger list.

Steve
Old Nov 13th 2005, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Okies

this gets a bit complimicated but ill try and help...

Obviously dependant on where you are going, we came and are in Brisbane.

We stayed with friends for 1-2 months. Our dogs, were transported via carrier from sydney to a friends pet motel in South Brisbane.

First up:

You WILL NOT find any property, for sale, posssibly but deffo not for rental that will take 3 dogs.

The ruling in Oz is 2 dogs max !!! FINITUM !

When you own more than 2 dogs, you are classed as a mini kennel, or someat similar. Therefore, no rentals will accept 3 dogs. Trust me it aint gonna happen.

We knew this, and werent in the market for a rental, we wanted to buy. So we bought a place on acreage, and followed the 2 klm or is it 1 klm boundary to boundary of another property with a kennel. Basically you cannot be within a set distance of someone else owning 2 or more dogs. EVEN if you own 100 acres !

We applied, for small kennel license, were refused and given a multi dog license, fter revue and some fees lol

IF !!! you are serious about binging 3 akitas, its possible to do a deal with a local Akita breeder.

You see Breeders , often have a multi dog license, and could offer a temp home for your mutts or a mutt whilst you get sorted, in return you could pay, or pay in kind, ie stud/whelping deal.

If you do, then ensure you get a contract, no puppies can be sold, pure breds without a legally binding breeders contract, debs would know more on her other website www.dogbreedersaustralia.com

You could go the route of Pet Motel, I posted costs further within this thread. You could look for a temp foster home, via LOGAN on here who runs a petsitting operation in Brisbane.

However, if you are deffo gonna rent, then im sorry to say, hat if you wanna stay with your 3 mutts then its nigh on impossible.

I hope to god, you can find a loophole or an alternative, but after nearly spending 30 grand, I think we exhausted all avenues.

Good Luck Steve
thanks for the info timber floor, it looks like only 2 dogs coming to oz then, we had considered this anyway but we certainly can.t spend the amount that you have. we will have to consider other options for our eldest girl

steve