Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone had laser eye surgery in Australia. Can you recommend please?

Has anyone had laser eye surgery in Australia. Can you recommend please?

Old Feb 7th 2008, 3:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Has anyone had laser eye surgery in Australia. Can you recommend please?

I had LASIK yesterday (6 Feb) in Sydney the whole lot cost around $6000 and that was really the worst part of the procedure. No pain very little discomfort all over in half an hour (had both eyes sorted). My eyesight is already at driving standard and should improve over the next couple of days. I would definately recommend it if anyone is considering.
Old Feb 7th 2008, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone had laser eye surgery in Australia. Can you recommend please?

Originally Posted by Mr Anderson
Im just wondering as i put it off til we moved so that any problems we wouldnt be on the other side of the world.

Does anyone have any recommendations or better still, any "whatever you do dont go there" places please.

Is laser eye surery as advanced as the uk or way behind.

Thanks for any replies

Alan

I had it done about 23 years ago in Brisbane.

I was diagnosed with MS whilst up in PNG; and medi-vacced down to Brisbane. The GP who mis-diagnosed me up in PNG was a Prat........... as was the neurologist he referred me to in Brisbane........... who insisted further I had MS and there was nothing wrong with my eye.

Alas there was............... and two weeks later after undergoing heaps of tests................. by the time I got to the eye doctor it was too late as the damage had already been done. As such I am now what they call chart blind in one eye as the retina was damaged beyond repair.

The laser treatment fixed up the rare condition I had known as histoplasmosis or summat like that................... but it came too late to save the sight in that eye. Had I been referred there sooner chances are my sight could have been saved........................ no use crying over spilled milk though:curse:
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:22 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by isgraham
I had LASIK yesterday (6 Feb) in Sydney the whole lot cost around $6000 and that was really the worst part of the procedure. No pain very little discomfort all over in half an hour (had both eyes sorted). My eyesight is already at driving standard and should improve over the next couple of days. I would definately recommend it if anyone is considering.
$6000...falls off chair...it's going up in price not down.

I'm trying to get the price down not up.

Glad it seems to have gone well so far.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau
$6000...falls off chair...it's going up in price not down.

I'm trying to get the price down not up.

Glad it seems to have gone well so far.
I didn't say anything before, because I personally hate to be told something was available cheaper when it's too late to change(!), but it is very possible to get it done for far less than $6000.
In a sense it's almost not important, because however much it costs it is absolutely priceless to have your sight back - having said that, I hope the $6000 was for top-notch luxury surgery with all sorts of aftercare and guarantees! If you were thinking of having it done, get a few quotes from local eye surgeons, you should be able to budget for around half of $6000, or less if you find a good deal.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by esperanza
I didn't say anything before, because I personally hate to be told something was available cheaper when it's too late to change(!), but it is very possible to get it done for far less than $6000.
In a sense it's almost not important, because however much it costs it is absolutely priceless to have your sight back - having said that, I hope the $6000 was for top-notch luxury surgery with all sorts of aftercare and guarantees! If you were thinking of having it done, get a few quotes from local eye surgeons, you should be able to budget for around half of $6000, or less if you find a good deal.
I know it's possible to get it done cheaper but I was paying for piece of mind and besides a couple of thousand dollars is less than a weeks take home salary. Regarding luxury I don't think having someone lasering your eyeball is going to be luxury at the best of times. I didn't get guarantees I got an honest appraisal of the risks such as corneal scarring under or over correction etc so I went in fully informed of the risks.

I think bargin hunting is really a silly thing to do as you only get one chance with your eyes.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 9:52 pm
Ber-kerk

Wheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the roughWheeler-Jones is a jewel in the rough

Interesting reading guys - thanks to the OP for posting.

Those of you that have had the surgery - can I ask what your vision was like prescription-wise? I am about -8 in both eyes.
Old Feb 11th 2008, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

I know it's possible to get it done cheaper but I was paying for piece of mind and besides a couple of thousand dollars is less than a weeks take home salary. Regarding luxury I don't think having someone lasering your eyeball is going to be luxury at the best of times. I didn't get guarantees I got an honest appraisal of the risks such as corneal scarring under or over correction etc so I went in fully informed of the risks.

I think bargin hunting is really a silly thing to do as you only get one chance with your eyes.
It's alright, I wasn't having a go, I just think it would be a shame if other people thought it cost $6000 when it doesn't have to. Clearly you can afford it, so good for you and glad it worked out for you. Bargain hunting would be silly if it meant going to some back alley surgery in someone's living room. If it means taking advantage of a promotional offer at a well established clinic with a reputable surgeon - well then I think it's very sensible; I saved myself several weeks take home pay!
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:17 pm

Never mind the eye surgery I want your job...LOL.

Thanks for the info and I know about what you are saying about getting peace of mind, I prefer to use somewhere recommended not just doing it's own spiel.
Old Feb 15th 2008, 11:59 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by annqldau
Never mind the eye surgery I want your job...LOL.
I agree ! 150k a year salary would be luvverly :-)
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I had my eyes done about 2 years ago, maybe 3 , cant remember.

Had Lasik.

Yes it can be done cheaper, both eyes cost me 5-6k

But LASIK , procedures for ppl with short-sightedness, and over the age of 40... they recommend just having the one eye done.

Apparently your brain will make the shift and apparently after a while you wont notice the difference.

I decided to have both eyes done though.

I did think, perhaps they offered the one eye method, just in case they cocked an eye up !!

Apparently not the case

And it is very uncomfortable having it done !!!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:15 am

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Had Lasik.
My PRK'd eyes are 7 years down the track now.
Best money I ever spent - no question.
Had them checked last year and I still measure at better than 20/20.

To account for the long sightnedness that will naturally occur as you get older, they intentionally corrected my left eye to -1.0 so that it will move to approx 0 as my other 0 eye will move to +1 in later years.

Clever bastards !!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 12:27 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by @boy

Clever bastards !!

It is genius stuff !! Thats for sure.
Old Feb 16th 2008, 6:37 am

I definitely seem to be getting more shortsighted not longsighted so don't know if one eye only would work in that case.

Originally Posted by @boy
My PRK'd eyes are 7 years down the track now.
Best money I ever spent - no question.
Had them checked last year and I still measure at better than 20/20.

To account for the long sightnedness that will naturally occur as you get older, they intentionally corrected my left eye to -1.0 so that it will move to approx 0 as my other 0 eye will move to +1 in later years.

Clever bastards !!

Had Lasik.

Yes it can be done cheaper, both eyes cost me 5-6k

But LASIK , procedures for ppl with short-sightedness, and over the age of 40... they recommend just having the one eye done.

Apparently your brain will make the shift and apparently after a while you wont notice the difference.

I decided to have both eyes done though.

I did think, perhaps they offered the one eye method, just in case they cocked an eye up !!

Apparently not the case

And it is very uncomfortable having it done !!!
Old Feb 16th 2008, 8:56 am
Banned

Why not go down and get a free appraisal for suitability Ann.

Best case scenario is that you would be a comparable candidate, and could just get 1 eye done. They recommend that

Plus may only cost about 3k

Ste
Old Feb 17th 2008, 8:37 pm

Why not go down and get a free appraisal for suitability Ann.

Best case scenario is that you would be a comparable candidate, and could just get 1 eye done. They recommend that

Plus may only cost about 3k

Ste
I'm working my way up to it but the post Xmas cash blow out seems to be working in the opposite direction...

I always could see out of one eye short and one long so never used to wear glasses most of the time, so would be probably be ok with just one eye as your brain does just do a quick jiggle for which eye you are looking out of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.