Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone got any pictures of Canberra?

Has anyone got any pictures of Canberra?

Old Apr 29th 2004, 7:40 pm
sula

Default Has anyone got any pictures of Canberra?

Currently exploring the possibility of moving to Canberra, as there seem to be lots of jobs for social workers. Would love see any pics that people may have.
Thanks,
Sula

Old Apr 29th 2004, 11:35 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Good on yer - most immos only have city slicker skills - but do they all have to crowd into the costal towns?

Canberra by pictures
Old Apr 30th 2004, 3:15 am
Forum Regular

Bella will become famous soon enough

Hi Sula,

I live a 3 hour drive from Canberra & have visited quite a lot as it's the nearest biggest city to my home town in NSW. I haven't lived there so can't give a proper assessment but can tell you what my experience has been so far (minus pictures - sorry)!

There are a lot of job opportunities there I think & before I found work as a mental health nurse where I now live I considered Canberra as a place to live.

What I absolutely love about C'bra is that you can drive around so easily, hardly any traffic but the flip side of that is you need to be a good navigator because it's an oddly planned city & places can be quite far apart.

You can park for free at so many of the main sites such as the National Art Gallery (fantastic), the National Museum, The War Memorial (both excellent) etc & they are all free to get in.

They are many shopping centres in the form of malls, all a little different, so you will probably find one that suits you most.

What I have found strange about the place is that it doesn't really seem to have a centre/a heart- it's all so spread out & it's also incredibly quiet. That's lovely in some ways but sometimes when I have been I have yearned for more life. I was there this last weekend which was Anzac Day & a public holiday yet you would never have known because it was so so quiet - despite the fact that the man in the accomodation bureau told us C'bra was packed & we might have trouble finding accom (we didn't)!

It's hot in summer, cold in winter, about 2.5 hours from the nearest beach & the same distance from the snowy mountains which are incredible any time of year.

I have done a fair amount of exploring around the suburbs where most people live. They are like little dormitory towns with perhaps a local convenience store, perhaps 1 or 2 other shops if you are lucky but I have NEVER seen a soul out & about when I have been there & they really give a feel of being like ghost towns.

Canberra is right on the edge of bush so there is plenty of country to explore & kangaroos graze in the fields that run along the main motor routes which is odd but lovely!

It is beautiful in autumn, bright blue skies & gorgeous coloured trees.

I know a number of people who have lived there from social workers to teachers to nurses & they have all loved it.

Don't think I could live there though.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 8:35 am
sula

Originally posted by Bella
Hi Sula,

I live a 3 hour drive from Canberra & have visited quite a lot as it's the nearest biggest city to my home town in NSW. I haven't lived there so can't give a proper assessment but can tell you what my experience has been so far (minus pictures - sorry)!

There are a lot of job opportunities there I think & before I found work as a mental health nurse where I now live I considered Canberra as a place to live.

What I absolutely love about C'bra is that you can drive around so easily, hardly any traffic but the flip side of that is you need to be a good navigator because it's an oddly planned city & places can be quite far apart.

You can park for free at so many of the main sites such as the National Art Gallery (fantastic), the National Museum, The War Memorial (both excellent) etc & they are all free to get in.

They are many shopping centres in the form of malls, all a little different, so you will probably find one that suits you most.

What I have found strange about the place is that it doesn't really seem to have a centre/a heart- it's all so spread out & it's also incredibly quiet. That's lovely in some ways but sometimes when I have been I have yearned for more life. I was there this last weekend which was Anzac Day & a public holiday yet you would never have known because it was so so quiet - despite the fact that the man in the accomodation bureau told us C'bra was packed & we might have trouble finding accom (we didn't)!

It's hot in summer, cold in winter, about 2.5 hours from the nearest beach & the same distance from the snowy mountains which are incredible any time of year.

I have done a fair amount of exploring around the suburbs where most people live. They are like little dormitory towns with perhaps a local convenience store, perhaps 1 or 2 other shops if you are lucky but I have NEVER seen a soul out & about when I have been there & they really give a feel of being like ghost towns.

Canberra is right on the edge of bush so there is plenty of country to explore & kangaroos graze in the fields that run along the main motor routes which is odd but lovely!

It is beautiful in autumn, bright blue skies & gorgeous coloured trees.

I know a number of people who have lived there from social workers to teachers to nurses & they have all loved it.

Don't think I could live there though.
Hi Bella,
Thank you for your honest and informative response. You said that you have friends who had worked as social workers in Canberra, are you still in contact with them? I would love to talk to a social worker who has Australian work experience.

Where do you live and what are job prospects like there?
Sula

Megalania,
Thanks for the great pics, I never thought of doing a media search on google!!! What would we do without it!I must go and buy some shares!

Old Apr 30th 2004, 9:38 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: Has anyone got any pictures of Canberra?

Originally posted by sula
Currently exploring the possibility of moving to Canberra, as there seem to be lots of jobs for social workers. Would love see any pics that people may have.
Thanks,
Sula
hi sula..

i have loads!... but none that are scanned in. If i get chance over the weekend i'll post a few.

(it'll remind me of the place i'll be heading back to soon!! )

all the best!

Old Apr 30th 2004, 10:13 am
sula

Originally posted by scutterUK
hi sula..

i have loads!... but none that are scanned in. If i get chance over the weekend i'll post a few.

(it'll remind me of the place i'll be heading back to soon!! )

all the best!

Hi ScutterUK,
That would be great!
I'm already feeling more positive about Canberra!
Sula

Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:14 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by sula
Hi ScutterUK,
That would be great!
I'm already feeling more positive about Canberra!
Sula

you'll have to excuse the dodgy photography though! I think my thumb makes an appearance in most of them.
Old Apr 30th 2004, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Canberra, in my personal opinion is a great place, just bloody cold in winter. I have some photos somewhere at home, I can dig them out for you if you like, but if you check out the Canberra Tourism site, particularly the "send a postcard" bit, you will get much more proffesional images
Old Apr 30th 2004, 9:11 pm
sula

Originally posted by scutterUK
you'll have to excuse the dodgy photography though! I think my thumb makes an appearance in most of them.

The more the merrier, thumbs and all!!!!!!