Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone gone the student route?

Has anyone gone the student route?

Old May 28th 2008, 8:31 pm
Just Joined

badabing14 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has anyone gone the student route?

Has anyone gone the student route to getting there PR visa looking at taking a trade course in either Melbourne or Perth for 2yrs apx and obtaining a PR visa at the end. Many concerns and worries at taking this option but maybe not as bad as first thought.
Does anyone have an idea to the real costs of going this way as I have a wife and 3 kids to consider. Can you work as a student and earn enough to live and pay the bills etc as do not want to spend all the money of a house sale to live on as I would prefer to use that money to help buy a new house after renting for the first year or 2.
Any advice greatly accepted.
Thanks
Kev
Old May 28th 2008, 8:53 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone gone the student route?

Originally Posted by badabing14
Has anyone gone the student route to getting there PR visa looking at taking a trade course in either Melbourne or Perth for 2yrs apx and obtaining a PR visa at the end. Many concerns and worries at taking this option but maybe not as bad as first thought.
Does anyone have an idea to the real costs of going this way as I have a wife and 3 kids to consider. Can you work as a student and earn enough to live and pay the bills etc as do not want to spend all the money of a house sale to live on as I would prefer to use that money to help buy a new house after renting for the first year or 2.
Any advice greatly accepted.
Thanks
Kev

My relative is looking at this as an option, Paul&nic have done it , you will find them on here.

You have to consider costs. Many are not covered as a student. More info will follow I am sure.
Old May 28th 2008, 9:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You will be allowed to work only 20 hours a week (both of you) so your income is going to be limited. You will have to pay international student fees for your children at school and they can be around the $10k mark per child per year plus the time that you are on a bridging visa while you apply for PR. At the end of your study time you take the risk that the occupation you have trained for will not be on the list of desired occupations and there is no guarantee you would get PR. Lots of risk there, I would think unless you have very deep pockets.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kev,

We're over on a student visa just now been over for six months now, all going well and we totally love it over here!!

Try reading throught this thread first it will cover just bout everything!

http://www.britishexpats.com/forum/s...d.php?t=481211

Theres quite a few of us over here or on route and there are other threads too. Ifyou do a search in the immigration forum for student visa, there are quite a few other threads.

It's a very expensive route, especially if you have school age children.

good luck!

Mandy
Old May 29th 2008, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

badabing14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys,

great thread mandy plenty of info. can you and OH work 20 hrs each or is that 20 between you.
Old May 29th 2008, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of lightmandyp is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kev,

We can work 20 hours per week each. Hubbie (he's the student) can work unlimited hours during holidays, tho all year round I can only work the 20 hours per week.

Mandy