Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone gone or about to go on a student visa?

Wikiposts

has anyone gone or about to go on a student visa?

Old May 19th 2005, 7:59 am
Forum Regular

noregrets will become famous soon enough
Smile has anyone gone or about to go on a student visa?

hello everyone -

just when I thought I had exhausted every site with information on oz I have just found this faaaaaaaaaaaaab one!!

Me Hubby and 12 year old daughter are due to go to gold coast end of Aug they will be dependants on my student visa if its granted - only found out I got accepted at uni on wednesday. I have been thinking and planning this for about 2 years and now it is becoming very real im terrified!! never set foot in oz!

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

george
Old May 19th 2005, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future
Default Re: has anyone gone or about to go on a student visa?

Originally Posted by noregrets
hello everyone -

just when I thought I had exhausted every site with information on oz I have just found this faaaaaaaaaaaaab one!!

Me Hubby and 12 year old daughter are due to go to gold coast end of Aug they will be dependants on my student visa if its granted - only found out I got accepted at uni on wednesday. I have been thinking and planning this for about 2 years and now it is becoming very real im terrified!! never set foot in oz!

any advice or experience would be greatly appreciated.

george
Hi george,

I found out last week that I have been accepted at a uni in Perth and yeah I too am a little bit scared now that it is all becoming real although I still can't wait.

I wont be going out there until next march.

Its good to hear from someone else who is in the same boat.

Claire
Old May 19th 2005, 10:14 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: has anyone gone or about to go on a student visa?

Originally Posted by claire33
Hi george,

I found out last week that I have been accepted at a uni in Perth and yeah I too am a little bit scared now that it is all becoming real although I still can't wait.

I wont be going out there until next march.

Its good to hear from someone else who is in the same boat.

Claire

thanks for the reply claire, most people on here seem to be applying for pr and the student visa is very different.

What are you going to be studying? Im doing law - ive already got a uk law degree so its postgrad for me after ive done 5 undergraduate subjects to bring me in line with oz regulations.

I am going for the experience not necesarily as a way of 'getting in' although i expect to bring my daughter back kicking and screaming if we decide to return to uk.

george x
Old May 19th 2005, 10:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the reply claire, most people on here seem to be applying for pr and the student visa is very different.

What are you going to be studying? Im doing law - ive already got a uk law degree so its postgrad for me after ive done 5 undergraduate subjects to bring me in line with oz regulations.

I am going for the experience not necesarily as a way of 'getting in' although i expect to bring my daughter back kicking and screaming if we decide to return to uk.
That's the right way to approach study in Australia - it's so you can *study* in Australia, not necessarily an automatic route to permanent residence.

If you study for less than 2 years then your onshore options will be limited anyway, unless you get an employer to sponsor you.

Once you're admitted as a lawyer in an Australian state/territory, it will open up options for general skilled migration on the basis of being a lawyer.

Jeremy
Old May 19th 2005, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

claire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant futureclaire33 has a brilliant future

george x
I am going to do a nursing degree, have got to do a 30 week foundation course first though.

Know what you mean about most people on here going for PR visas, sometimes feel its a bit difficult to get involved with threads cause I really have no idea what they are going through and I guess that it is the same for them.

Where abouts in the Uk are you?
Old May 19th 2005, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
That's the right way to approach study in Australia - it's so you can *study* in Australia, not necessarily an automatic route to permanent residence.

If you study for less than 2 years then your onshore options will be limited anyway, unless you get an employer to sponsor you.

Once you're admitted as a lawyer in an Australian state/territory, it will open up options for general skilled migration on the basis of being a lawyer.

Jeremy

thanks Jeremy

I had looked into my options once qualified but only about using my status as an australian lawyer back in the uk - best to have plan B sorted before embarking on plan A !!!!

I am almost sure that we will want to stay on but the way the rules change so quickly I havent looked into it perhaps as seriously as I should have done - sponsor may be the way to go as part of my course requires a 15 week placement in a law firm - I will have to make myself indispensable!

georgex