Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone ever failed a medical because they were so stressed about it???

Has anyone ever failed a medical because they were so stressed about it???

Old Nov 22nd 2006, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

zenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant futurezenamethyst has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone ever failed a medical because they were so stressed about it???

We have medicals in 2 weeks time and lots of family problems - deaths etc - at the mo so my BP (which i got back down to normal) is back up again! I know I am stressing about passing the medical and everything being ok which adds to it (and my BP will go down a bit once thats over with!) but wondered if they take this into account at the time?

Wondered about having something to calm me down beforehand!

Herbalist has recommended massage to relax me a bit in the meantime but wondered if anyone had any tips???

Thanks
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:12 pm
Homeward bound

The O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond reputeThe O'Neills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone ever failed a medical because they were so stressed about it???

Originally Posted by zenamethyst
We have medicals in 2 weeks time and lots of family problems - deaths etc - at the mo so my BP (which i got back down to normal) is back up again! I know I am stressing about passing the medical and everything being ok which adds to it (and my BP will go down a bit once thats over with!) but wondered if they take this into account at the time?

Herbalist has recommended massage to relax me a bit in the meantime but wondered if anyone had any tips???

Thanks
Try taking come 'calms' zen, my sister had high blood pressure but can't be medicated for ir at the moment, and she swears by them (she's a nurse). Oh and she does yoga which she also swears by.

Nic
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:42 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone ever failed a medical because they were so stressed about it???

Thanks
How about some hypnotherapy or maybe go for a massage or something right before it so you're lovely and relaxed going in. Sorry to hear your troubles, sounds like you've had a difficult time of it.

Might also be worth having your GP check your BP again before you go in. That way if it's normal, you can go into the medical armed with that knowledge and mention it to the Dr if it's high on the day.

Good luck.
Old Nov 22nd 2006, 5:55 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Believe me, once you have had your medicals, you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Mine was a 'keeeerching where's your visa card' type of medical. I have had more indepth conversations about my health with bus drivers!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:29 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally Posted by busterboy
Believe me, once you have had your medicals, you will wonder what all the fuss was about. Mine was a 'keeeerching where's your visa card' type of medical. I have had more indepth conversations about my health with bus drivers!
Dont take any pills unless you confess it to the doctor My husband had his blood pressure taken and it did not pass the doctor said - white coat syndrome - chatted a while to put us at our ease and then took it again and again. As it happened it was not white coat syndrome but tjhey do know this happens and are sympathetic with it.

Good luck have an early night and don't stress out
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 2:50 pm
Now an expat!

MonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really niceMonkeyBoySteve is just really nice

I failed a medical for life insurance a few years back when we changed mortgage company, I was only about 28 and had never had any serious medical problems or blood pressure problems. However, the day I went for medical, I had rushed home from work to get a shower as I wanted to be clean, for obvious reasons!, got stressed out running around looking for the car keys, more stressed stuck in traffic looking at the ticking clock, by the time got to the doctors surgery my blood pressure was through the roof and I didn't pass the medical and had to return several times over the next month or so. I found the best way to arrive destressed was a nice gentle stroll through the park, stopping off for a cup of tea and arriving in plently of time to have a conversation with the very nice receptionist lady, this last bit I think was most important, if you relax and have a laugh with people before hand you should be fine. Chill!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

Hannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant futureHannah-Banana has a brilliant future

Really really really do not worry!!
The medical was by far the easiest part of my visa application!

Every doctor has a different way of going about them but mine was very quick and really not an issue at all - very straightforward and super quick!

As for the blood pressure - i'm only 22 but occasionally have 'boderline' high blood pressure only because it runs in my family (i'm a dancer so very fit and have never touched a cigarette!) Only thing is i'm scared of the tightness of the cuff around my arm (same goes for having blood taken and they tie the tourniquet round you - eeekk! :scared: ) which makes me panic ! Doctor usually takes it a couple times and it always goes down. Same thing happened at my medical - doctor chuckled at me (like the doc on the simpsons!) and it went back to normal in no time!

Don't stress - it really is a walk in the park!
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 4:34 pm
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

I had my BP measured a couple of times in 2005 and 2006 (first reading was a bit high, so needed checking). After the first time it stayed put around 130/80 which is pretty OK . I have had white coat BP issues also in the past. The nurse at the GP practice told me to arrive early at the Medical. To sit down reading of listening to music you like in the meantime. And to have the BP taken after 10/15 minutes in the medical (not in the beginning anyway). It worked out fine, was stressed (or at least I thought it was) but my BP was normal. Maybe it helps. Good luck!!!!

Miranda
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:18 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks
Sorry Zenamethyst hope you don't mind me putting a question on your thread about medicals but my hubby is not obese but a little overweight, we've not been asked to take teh medicals yet, but is this something he could potentially fail on ? If it is i'm sending him straight down the gym

Jen
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:44 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
Sorry Zenamethyst hope you don't mind me putting a question on your thread about medicals but my hubby is not obese but a little overweight, we've not been asked to take teh medicals yet, but is this something he could potentially fail on ? If it is i'm sending him straight down the gym

Jen
I believe they only worry if the BMI is over 40
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:47 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Clippies
I believe they only worry if the BMI is over 40
thanks clippies

Jen
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 6:48 pm

Clippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond reputeClippy has a reputation beyond repute

thanks clippies

Jen
You're welcome
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

RubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really niceRubyPearl is just really nice

Jen
Jen,

I was petrified about the meds...I'm a white-coater and a little overweight. In fact I'm a bit of a porker but BMI is only about 32-33 (I love red wine, good food and resisting exercise.....helped along by having a bulldog who's resistant to walking !!!).

I took it really easy on the booze for 2-3 weeks before the meds and also got the dog out for a good walk every night.

Everything was fine at the med. The key thing - I found - was that the doc was pretty cool about everything. He was easy going and all for making the medical as stress-free as possible. If he'd been saying "now this is a key moment...try to relax"....I's have shat myselfm but he was good and the BP behaved itself 1st time.

Tell the man to ease off on the booze (if he drinks), not shout at the kids (if you have any) and walk the dog a bit more (if you've got one).

Beyond all else.....................take it easy. The docs don't want failure !

Cheers
Old Nov 23rd 2006, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

brissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to beholdbrissydeb is a splendid one to behold

Thanks
Read a Gillian McKeith book recently and it does state it you eat a few sticks of celery a day it lowers your blood pressure........worth a try?
Old Nov 24th 2006, 5:51 am
tum
destination Cairns

tum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond reputetum has a reputation beyond repute

O forgot, the nurse also told me not to drink coffee
just before the meds. Didn't know it would make a
difference, but didn't touch any coffee before the Med
was done and over with . After that (coffee).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.