Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else, noticed that things taste different in oz?

Wikiposts

Has anyone else, noticed that things taste different in oz?

Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:36 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone else, noticed that things taste different in oz?

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
I think we both know you would get VERY sick of it VERY quickly!
My mum once had a job at the Viscount biscuit factory and they had a great idea. Eat all the biscuits you want! After about three days in, not a soul touched another biscuit!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

What is it with the chocolate today? after earlier discussion on the "rip off chocolate" thread, when I stopped off at the garage to get petrol on the way home I found myself searching for a dark chocolate flake, unfortunately they don't seem to have reached Ireland yet. I am now craving one. will have to settle for bornville dark chocolate and a cup of peppermint tea instead. Regarding the salad cream, when I was in oz, admitedly 10 years ago, I could never find proper mayonaise (helmans), it kind of tasted like salad cream, and I don't think it was because I was on a budget (backpacking) and was buying the cheap stuff, I remember trying loads and loads of different brands and they all tasted the same.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 7:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any evidence to support this myth?
Well as you asked

Hydrogentated oil/fats, thats the much debated (healthwise) substance :scared: , basically the way runny fat is kept solid in cakes, biscuits, gunk and other fatty foods. Australia uses very high levels of it, levels that would be banned in some countries.

Turns out chocolate has soya lecithin in it, probably to keep it solid. Have no idea if the UK puts this in, but have noticed swiss chocolate I buy does not.

Or try a simple experiment , keep american or UK chewing gum in your aussie car in summer, aussie gum stays in packet, american gum goes wet, leaks and oozes out the packet sticking itself to your car.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:10 am
Forum Regular

traceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant futuretraceyandian has a brilliant future

Well you can but Heinz Salad Cream in Coles - its in a different shaped bottle but tastes exactly the same.

I have also found that Heinz Tomato Ketchup doesn't tast the same as the english one but if you buy Heinz RED it is exactly the same as the english Heinz Tomato Ketchup.

I miss pizza express salad dressing the most...and when I buy Helmans from an english shop it costs $8.45 a jar, so you can imagine, I don't buy it that often.

I am used to the chocolate now. It's a case of having to I suppose, or go without. I didn't eat it for ages but it tastes fine now.

Tracey
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Well as you asked

Hydrogentated oil/fats, thats the much debated (healthwise) substance :scared: , basically the way runny fat is kept solid in cakes, biscuits, gunk and other fatty foods. Australia uses very high levels of it, levels that would be banned in some countries.

Turns out chocolate has soya lecithin in it, probably to keep it solid. Have no idea if the UK puts this in, but have noticed swiss chocolate I buy does not.

Or try a simple experiment , keep american or UK chewing gum in your aussie car in summer, aussie gum stays in packet, american gum goes wet, leaks and oozes out the packet sticking itself to your car.
Checked out the ingredients in my bournville dark, it has soya leicthin in it. No need to put anything in it here in Ireland to stop it melting, if only. as for the Hydrogentated oil, I've added it to the long list of things that may eventually kill me, along with everything else they put in food and, and all the lotions and potions us women use, not to mention hair dye, and the mobile phone. :scared:
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:26 am
playing the angel

tinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond reputetinkerbell has a reputation beyond repute

and when I buy Helmans from an english shop it costs $8.45 a jar, so you can imagine, I don't buy it that often.

coles had helmans mayo on offer a few weeks back...........$4.50ish if i remember.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 8:54 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone has previously posted the ingredients for Dairy Milk in both countries.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...64&postcount=4

There seems to be a difference in the mixture and the UK uses E442 instead of Soya Lecithin (although the UK uses Soya Lecithin for other chocolate).

I guess the other main difference is that the Aus version does not contain this ingredient :scared:

Old Nov 9th 2006, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

rancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant futurerancid has a brilliant future

i think the heinz egg mayonaise tastes more like salad cream than the salad cream does
Old Nov 9th 2006, 10:53 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone have any evidence to support this myth? Every time I see it, I have to ask myself why any company would find it necessary to preserve their chocolate against the effects of Australian weather.

It's not as if Australia's climate is a constant 30+ degrees all year round.
The Cadburys factory just outside Hobart told me that they use a different amount of cocoa powder in Aussie chocolate, which has an effect on the melting temperature. They also said that chco made in different parts of Aus tastes very slightly different because of the difference in milk tatse - minute but the experts are aware of it.
The melting temps do differ too, because when I bring back UK chocolate it melts quicker if out of the fridge than the Aussie bars do
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

tony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud oftony4563 has much to be proud of

No offence to any posters here but I just hope it never gets to the stage (but i'm sure it will) where more and more people genuinely complain that in the country that THEY decided to move to, they can't get this brand or that brand that was available in the UK. I'm not surprised they call us " Pommie Whingers " I was in Brisbane for a reccie last August and I made sure everything we bought for the family from the supermarkets had an Aussie brand label attached to it. Yeah, there's some crap but you get that in the UK too. I found there were excellent Aussie alternatives for everything. Half the fun is finding out! I'm heading there to live the Australian way because... I'll be in Australia. I've more to to do with my time than wandering up and down the aisles looking for Crosse & Blackwell or John West
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:24 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tofster
Wow, I'm relieved people are deciding to stay/move for all the right reasons.....
He he, like my parents saying they couldn't come to live in Oz because the water tastes different!

Big.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:30 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

OP wasn't whinging at all. Just noticing the differences.
Aren't you all whinging about the whinging and people who come here whinging?

Anyway, "room temperature" in Australia is higher than the UK and so chocolate is made to melt at a higher temperature. Same for Spain, Italy, Greece, etc.
Ideally Chocolate should melt at below 37^C (body temp) so when inside your mouth it melts. This means that in colder climates like Switzerland, UK, Ireland etc, chocolate can be made to melt at a lower temperature and "tastes" better.

Coca-cola and many other products are also made differently depending upon which country they are sold in. Sometimes additives are allowed or not and also some countries populations palettes are considered different and drinks adjusted accordingly. Asia, for instance, gets a "sweeter" version.

The list can go on............

Andrew
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:39 am
Here At Last!!

frogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nicefrogboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by thebears
Like how a kebab tastes great at 2am but not at 8am or 2pm
These crazy aussies have Kebabs for their lunch, how weird is that you can either grab a subway or a kebab.

Where have you bought HP Brown Sauce from? I haven't managed to get any yet they only seem to sell BBQ sauce.
I thought one of the sacrifices made in moving over here was to lose brown sauce.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

hoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nicehoots nan is just really nice

Frogboy

Where have you bought HP Brown Sauce from? I haven't managed to get any yet they only seem to sell BBQ sauce.
I thought one of the sacrifices made in moving over here was to lose brown sauce.[/QUOTE]

Pick n Pay at Aspley do it, also if you go to the cafe at Redcliffe opposite the Pier ask for it with your breakfast and they will have a bottle! Liked your earlier post too Frogboy, best of luck with everything
Rach x
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

I was hoping that things in OZ would be better than NZ, but our trip there last year proved me wrong. I was so disappointed when I saw all the same things in the supermarket that NZ has, just a slightly wider variety in OZ.
Been in Qatar last 6 months and was very surprised to find all things Uk there, Birds eye foods, Iceland products, WALKERS crisps (OMG the fat!)
Pop tarts, Golden Nuggets etc, the kids were in 7th heaven!
Now we are hoping to cross the ditch to OZ but at least we are well prepared for what we can and cannot buy there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.