Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone else noticed this?

Has anyone else noticed this?

Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Has anyone else noticed this?

I have come to the conclusion that all the various states of Australia must be very different place to live, from each other. There seems to be a big trend in unhappiness from expats living in Perth or Brisbane.

A very high percentage of those who don't like living here come from these two places. Very often i am bemused at some of the things they complain about, as it just isn't so here in Adelaide.

Of course there is the odd member here and there from places like Melbourne and Sydney who ar ealso not happy, but on the whole, Perth and Brisbane seem to outshine the rest in this regard.

So..is it REALLY that different elsewhere?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 5:54 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

ohhhh, contraversial old you

Funny though, had this disscussion with another expat the other day and we said the same thing.

The thing people need to remember is that Oz is a continent and has huge variations in climate, so therefore it vastly varies the way in which people live.

I always came with the view that if we didn't like one state we'd move on. Didn't go to Brissy though as i already knew that the climate would kill me
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Maybe it's cos we are all skint in Perth.....

Maybe you should do a Poll, I can only think of Donna & Jane who sadly really don't like Perth, Oh and of course PB
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:00 am
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Yes Hevs...controversial i guess...i am sure i'll get the over sensitive taking it the wrong way... but it is a genuine question...i really want to know what is so different about each state.

I agree with you about climate etc. but if you can't stand the heat why the hell go to live in a place that is well known for extreme temps?!!!
Also, its not just the climate that is an issue. Simple day to day things appear totally different to what we have here in Adelaide.
Becasue i have only been to Sydney and Adelaide, i don't know what the other places are like.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DianeOZ
Maybe it's cos we are all skint in Perth.....
Bet the leccy bills are astronomical in this heat
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Don't.....I've left the fan on all day to keep the flipping puppy cool.......Another mouth to feed, yes I know we're skint but he was too cute to resist.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:07 am
High in the Dandenongs

[I agree with you about climate etc. but if you can't stand the heat why the hell go to live in a place that is well known for extreme temps?!!!
Because (and i have to agree with dotty here) people go on holiday, think its fab but don't realise that living in it day in day out is terribly tiring and for most boring!
Thats not to say that i think Perth or Brissy are the arse end of the planet, far from it, but at least here we have seasons that enable us to do all the things that we love, nearly all year round. Does that make sense?
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:10 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by hevs
Because (and i have to agree with dotty here) people go on holiday, think its fab but don't realise that living in it day in day out is terribly tiring and for most boring!
Thats not to say that i think Perth or Brissy are the arse end of the planet, far from it, but at least here we have seasons that enable us to do all the things that we love, nearly all year round. Does that make sense?
I think Perth is great.

Best place in the best state in the best country in the world.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Forum Addict

What sort of seasonal things do you get up to Hevs??
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:13 am
Cheesy Member

DagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond reputeDagBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
I think Perth is great.

Best place in the best state in the best country in the world.
I agree with Renth - except for Perth substitute Brisbane
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:15 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by DagBoy
I agree with Renth - except for Perth substitute Brisbane
I love Brissie too. The things that let it down in my opinion are Rugby League and pokies.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:17 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally posted by DianeOZ
What sort of seasonal things do you get up to Hevs??
Well the dressing up as Santa was a tad ruined this year, due to the heat
And obviously water sports are nicer in the summer
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes i totally accept that...but lets be honest..you would have to be pretty dim to come over for a holiday, see how hot it is and not realise it could be a problem working or living in it(i spent 2 weeks in Barbados once and managed to work it out!!)....... when i knew we were coming to Adelaide, which is reknowned to be one of the hottest places in Oz...the first thing i did was draw up a "must have" list when i came here.... top of the list was RC aircon. (no compromise)

But what about other things..ie ...food sources and quality of food? I find it excellent here. Far superior to UK, yet others say that it is crap.

I know it isn't just me and my positive nature...Adleaide Brits has nearly 120 members now, and many of them are already living here. A fair few for several years...they all love it and find it as i do!!... of course there must be some who are not happy, as there will be anywhere, but i cant' get to grips with how different others paint the same country.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:23 am
(It's not my real name)

Originally posted by podgypossum
Yes i totally accept that...but lets be honest..you would have to be pretty dim to come over for a holiday, see how hot it is and not realise it could be a problem working or living in it(i spent 2 weeks in Barbados once and managed to work it out!!)....... when i knew we were coming to Adelaide, which is reknowned to be one of the hottest places in Oz...the first thing i did was draw up a "must have" list when i came here.... top of the list was RC aircon. (no compromise)

But what about other things..ie ...food sources and quality of food? I find it excellent here. Far superior to UK, yet others say that it is crap.

I know it isn't just me and my positive nature...Adleaide Brits has nearly 120 members now, and many of them are already living here. A fair few for several years...they all love it and find it as i do!!... of course there must be some who are not happy, as there will be anywhere, but i cant' get to grips with how different others paint the same country.
I think a lot of Poms come/came to Perth simply because of the weather and cheap houses.

Moving to Adelaide requires a bit more thought.
Old Feb 18th 2004, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I would love to hear more of the great things about Perth and Brissie..i remember Mrs Dagboy doing it... but it doesnt seem to get much positive coverage!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.