British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   has anyone done it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/has-anyone-done-356893/)

chris and farideh Feb 22nd 2006 4:41 pm

has anyone done it?

Hi,

I understand that when you arrive at Adelaide airport, the government would house you for 3 months.
has anyone been house by them, if yes what type housing do they give you.
do they put you in to a council housing, ( i dont even know if they do have council housing). :confused:
do they house you rent free, because we are going to Adelaide by the end of July, and we thought if there is such offer available is it worth taking it, while we settle down or is there catch in it.

farideh

toon williams Feb 22nd 2006 4:45 pm

Re: has anyone done it?

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
Hi,

I understand that when you arrive at Adelaide airport, the government would house you for 3 months.
do they put you in to a council housing, ( i dont even know if they do have council housing). :confused:
do they house you rent free, because we are going to Adelaide by the end of July, and we thought if there is such offer available is it worth taking it, while we settle down or is there catch in it.

farideh

There is another thread on here today about this, this is what someone gave me about it today

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php

Wendy Feb 22nd 2006 4:47 pm

Hi,

farideh

hi

They offer on arrival accommodation. Here is the link

http://www.immigration.sa.gov.au/sit..._onarrival.php

It's a bit pot luck as to what you get, but you can stay for up to 12 weeks and only have to give two weeks notice to leave. They may not have any available though so make sure you have a plan B

HTH
Wendy

davykaz Feb 22nd 2006 5:25 pm

this sounds interesting does anyone know if this is offered in Perth and if so do you have a web site address

thanks in anticipation

Wendy Feb 22nd 2006 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by davykaz
this sounds interesting does anyone know if this is offered in Perth and if so do you have a web site address

thanks in anticipation

Not that I know of sorry.

paka Feb 22nd 2006 6:15 pm

Hi,

farideh

we now a couple that was given a meet on arrival , they had no children so was put in a one bedroom flat, they said it was very basic, but did for a couple of weeks till they found a rental of there own.we also met family that was staying in one , on our rekie last sept. and they also said they were looking for a rental as soon as pos,the only good thing about it is you may be put on an estate were other new arrivals are, so you meet people straight away.

chris and farideh Feb 22nd 2006 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by paka
we now a couple that was given a meet on arrival , they had no children so was put in a one bedroom flat, they said it was very basic, but did for a couple of weeks till they found a rental of there own.we also met family that was staying in one , on our rekie last sept. and they also said they were looking for a rental as soon as pos,the only good thing about it is you may be put on an estate were other new arrivals are, so you meet people straight away.

thanks guys, checked the website, it sounds good, gives you enough time to look around before you make decision where you want to settle down.

farideh

atkinsfamily Feb 22nd 2006 7:45 pm

Hi,

farideh

From what i've seen on different forums. the accomadation is for 3 months only. They are council type houses, and you pay rent of course. Some people it has worked out others have been burgled, as in some areas they seem to know that is accomadation for new people arriving in Aus. A risk you take. You might find more info on the Adelaidebrits forum. Still worth a try I think. If we are sucessful we will apply. Good Luck

leezo Feb 22nd 2006 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by davykaz

thanks in anticipation

As far as I know they dont do it in Perth, but here is some info that might be handy for you for WA

http://www.immi.gov.au/settle/booklets/texts/wa/eng.pdf

All the best

Mrs Leezo