Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone bought land b4 flying out to Oz?

Has anyone bought land b4 flying out to Oz?

Old Jan 13th 2008, 7:18 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Has anyone bought land b4 flying out to Oz?

Can anyone help?
We are wondering if you can buy land in Oz whilst still in the UK?
We obviously wouldn't do it b4 we have our Visa but a friend has offered to look at some plots for us as we know where we want to live.
Any help would be very much appreciated
Old Jan 14th 2008, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone bought land b4 flying out to Oz?

You can if you want to. In fact, you can even if you don't have a visa (although I think you need FIRB approval, although this will be automatic) as long as you will build within a year.

As to whether it's wise... you would be putting a lot of trust in your friend's judgment.

Mind you, we bought a unit without having seen it, although we knew both that particular block and the area, we hadn't even visited Sydney for 7 years and not lived there for nearly 20. Fortunately, we liked it when we did get to see it in person!
Old Jan 14th 2008, 1:21 pm
Whey hey got my Visa

allankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to allallankate is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Can anyone help?
We obviously wouldn't do it b4 we have our Visa but a friend has offered to look at some plots for us as we know where we want to live.
Hi we went on a reccie back in Aug 06, decided we definitely wanted to go for it, and while we were there put a deposit down on some land & filled in a mortgage app with a broker. We were only there 2 weeks . I'm sure some would say we were impulsive, but the location was perfect for us and at the time land prices hand increased 45% in the previous year, and we didn't want to not be able to afford it when we were finally ready for the move.

For us having the land has spurred us along, yes you do need FIRB approval put that was pretty straight forward, and we were supposed to have built on it within 12 months. This didn't happen but we had signed a contract with a builder just before the end of the 12 months so I think we'd have been covered. As it turns out visa granted last week so no worries. House build starts next month and should be ready when we are about Aug / Sept this year.

It's not a cheap way to do things, and I wouldn't recommend it if you haven't seen the area and fallen in love with it, but for us it has given us a lot of focus and a real visualisation for our dream life in OZ.

See it here

Best of luck what ever you decide.

Allan
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond reputeBobcat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Can anyone help?

I had a client see a block of land I had for sale on my website............ she rang me from the UK and I sent her all the relevant details. She was mad keen to buy the block sight unseen.............. but I advised her to fly over and have a look see if she could?

She did and it wasn't quite what she envisaged as regards being close to the ocean............. no worries as we sold her another block in Mindarie......... and sold the Iluka block a few weeks later.

Where are you planning on buying? It can be done subject to FIRB approval and all documentation can be faxed to the UK for signing. We bought sight unseen in Wanneroo 18 years ago............ it wasn't quite what we were after. Everyone's tastes are different......... mind you........... with land there isn't too much that can go wrong.......... different story if buying a house sight unseen.

I currently have a vacant block on the market in Golf Links Drive at Carramar; I also have two adjoining Mindarie Marina blocks coming up soon............ and possible another block in Iluka?

Send me a PM if I can be of any help? Our office is in Carramar NOR.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 5:59 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bobcat
I had a client see a block of land I had for sale on my website............ she rang me from the UK and I sent her all the relevant details. She was mad keen to buy the block sight unseen.............. but I advised her to fly over and have a look see if she could?

She did and it wasn't quite what she envisaged as regards being close to the ocean............. no worries as we sold her another block in Mindarie......... and sold the Iluka block a few weeks later.

Where are you planning on buying? It can be done subject to FIRB approval and all documentation can be faxed to the UK for signing. We bought sight unseen in Wanneroo 18 years ago............ it wasn't quite what we were after. Everyone's tastes are different......... mind you........... with land there isn't too much that can go wrong.......... different story if buying a house sight unseen.

I currently have a vacant block on the market in Golf Links Drive at Carramar; I also have two adjoining Mindarie Marina blocks coming up soon............ and possible another block in Iluka?

Send me a PM if I can be of any help? Our office is in Carramar NOR.
Thanks for all your information thats gr8!
We fell in love with The boardwalk & Bletchley Park in Southern River.
Its definatley where we wanna go cos we have loads of friends who already live there. Not sure where that is compared to where you are?
Many Thanks
Dawn