Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has anyone been to a Queensland Roar match?

Has anyone been to a Queensland Roar match?

Old Sep 9th 2007, 2:49 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute
Default Has anyone been to a Queensland Roar match?

I think it is probably because no one else wanted it, but I have been offered the use of a corporate box (inc prawn sandwiches!) for all Queensland Roar matches at Suncorp Stadium.
Problem is from seeing 'highlights' on TV it seems that there is about as much atmosphere as there is at a Birmingham City home game (sorry blue noses I cant help myself).
Has anyone been lately and if so is it as bad as it looks?
Old Sep 9th 2007, 4:58 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has anyone been to a Queensland Roar match?

It's been a while but I've been to a couple and the atmosphere at Suncorp is pretty decent. It's not exactly the Liverpool derby but OK. And the quality these days is getting better too.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:02 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

I'll answer your thread title question even though I don't think it's quite the full question you are asking.

Yes I have been to a QR match - have seen them a few times get their arses whooped by Adelaide United at Hindmarsh Stadium!

If you've got the chance of a box at the A-League take it - I think this is going to be a great season.

Good luck! rab
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

mancunian_bris is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, if you've only experience a Roar game on the "highlights" on telly, you'd probably be more comfy just sitting there and doing your knitting at half time.
Myself, I've been to every home game since the inception of the A-League plus quite a few away games. It certainly doesn't have the atmosphere of a true EPL game, summat an villan wouldn't understand, but we are getting there. Don't forget, the A-League has only been running a couple of years but even so, the Roar has been averaging 15,600 for games.
Myself, the wife and our 6 year old are all stalwarts of the home end and we love the atmosphere in there. You can keep your corporate box and the prawn sarnies that come with it.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 8:51 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mancunian_bris
Well, if you've only experience a Roar game on the "highlights" on telly, you'd probably be more comfy just sitting there and doing your knitting at half time.
Myself, I've been to every home game since the inception of the A-League plus quite a few away games. It certainly doesn't have the atmosphere of a true EPL game, summat an villan wouldn't understand, but we are getting there. Don't forget, the A-League has only been running a couple of years but even so, the Roar has been averaging 15,600 for games.
Myself, the wife and our 6 year old are all stalwarts of the home end and we love the atmosphere in there. You can keep your corporate box and the prawn sarnies that come with it.
Last time I went I took a Sydney fan with me. We had 'several' beers but the highlight was definitely when Brosque (I think) slammed in the winner for Roar and the whole stand erupted, except for my mate who was sat with his head in his hands
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

showdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really niceshowdan is just really nice

I was given the company tickets for Thursdays game, lost 1 nil, but was quite entertaining, especially when the visitors keeper slipped on his arse....Twice

It's pretty much as others have said, but what impressed me is that busses and trains to and from the game are free (just show your ticket), its to keep congestion down. There's also shuttle busses laid on, with pickups from certain areas.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 9:51 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by showdan
It's pretty much as others have said, but what impressed me is that busses and trains to and from the game are free (just show your ticket), its to keep congestion down. There's also shuttle busses laid on, with pickups from certain areas.
Yeah I agree that is absolute gold It's the same with the Lions (Aussie Rules). I had a season ticket last year and will have one next year, and it's great to know I can jump on the train, have a few beers at the game and get the train home
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Thursday night was fairly placid really as we only had 8,800 in attendance which isn't too bad considering it was raining and a mid week game.
Brosque now cops the "Judas" chant because, right until he was on the plane to Sydney, he was telling everyone that he wasn't going and was going to stay at the Roar.
It was great seeing the Mariners goalie twice end up on his arse especially as it was right in front of us. We cracked up seeing that and he did everything he could to not look up at the fans.

If anyone wants more info on the Roar they can ask yours truly, go to www.qldroar.com.au which is the official team site or www.roarfans.com.au which is the supporters club site.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

discobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud ofdiscobay has much to be proud of

I went to last Thursday's match too and the bus shuttle to and from is ver well organised. No pushing and shoving apart from one family who accidentally mistook the front of the bus queue as the end - ha ha ha easily done bless their little hearts. There was very little hassle getting served food and drink during half-time due to the streamlined service. Game wise I wouldn't pay to see another match
Old Sep 9th 2007, 11:34 am
What's happening dudes?

Originally Posted by discobay
I went to last Thursday's match too and the bus shuttle to and from is ver well organised. No pushing and shoving apart from one family who accidentally mistook the front of the bus queue as the end - ha ha ha easily done bless their little hearts. There was very little hassle getting served food and drink during half-time due to the streamlined service. Game wise I wouldn't pay to see another match
Give it another go. There will be better performances than that this year.
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

windsordave is an unknown quantity at this point

Fantastic - another Villian on the forums! And oh what a great time to be a Villa fan! ... any Chelsea boys out there?

I have not yet been to a Roar game, only just moved up here but have got a job in Milton - right next to Suncorp.

Would be great to get a group together to go down and drum up a bit of 'who ate all the pies' and 'you're home is a caravan' (when playing against Central Coast Mariners!).

Who's up for it? I can suggest free car parking spaces nearby ... maybe Carberry can offer us free box spaces?

cheers and of course - 'up the villa!'

Dave
Old Sep 10th 2007, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

rangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nicerangersman2 is just really nice

wait til you play Perth Glory next week there will be 7000 people, no goals no wins and players who couldnt his a barn door from 2 yards but i will still be there, suppose its like all the years at QPR, (just thought i would get that in before anyone else did), Paul.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 8:14 am
Forum Regular

You think the Glory can manage 7000 to a game? When you consider the Roar had 8800 at a rainy Thursday night game against CC while Glory could only manage 7900 against Sydney on a Sunday game with blue skies.
I can't wait to get to an away game against the Glory. The crowd will be like playing at Auckland again
I dunno about players not being able to hit a barn door at 2 yards, I didn't think the Glory were that bad.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:04 am
Decreased member

Carbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond reputeCarbery has a reputation beyond repute

Just arranged 10 of us to come up from the Gold Coast on 22nd Sept for the game against Sydney FC. Tickets include free rail travel so no designated driver needed!
If any one wants to meet for some friendly football banter before the game we will be drinking at the Caxton for a couple of hours before the match.
Old Sep 10th 2007, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

The Caxton has proven to be a bit of a dud for atmosphere over the past few seasons. They herd everyone out into the back carpark. The fans are discouraged from chanting and singing in the Caxton and the bouncers aren't too sure what banter means.
If you want to rub shoulders with those from The Den (home end for the unitiated) go across the road to Kitty O'shea's and head out the back. You'll even meet some of the Sydney boys here for the game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.