Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all
Default has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

hi can anyone help

we are a young family hoping to move this year, cant decide between Queensland and Victoria . It would help alot if anyone could let us know what it like to live in Geelong ie weather, housing, schools, job opportunities(plumber/gas fitter), social.

We have never been to oz and are taking a gamble so the more info we gather the better.

please help a very confused family to make the right choice

much appreciated G-MAN
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:30 pm
Merlot

Default Re: has anyone been to Geelong in victoria

Originally Posted by g-man
hi can anyone help

we are a young family hoping to move this year, cant decide between Queensland and Victoria . It would help alot if anyone could let us know what it like to live in Geelong ie weather, housing, schools, job opportunities(plumber/gas fitter), social.

We have never been to oz and are taking a gamble so the more info we gather the better.

much appreciated G-MAN
The Ozzie bods should be on soon, so bumping this up for you.

I have only ever been to Geelong to see an old family friend for dinner so can't comment, we are looking Victoria for our return.

Good luck
Merlot

Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:37 pm
Forum Regular

tommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura abouttommytriggs has a spectacular aura about

G'day Bruce, Its just like england weatherwise, tad better though (no frost i fink??) as for work, should be ok as their buildin like crazy down there, but likewise if u find anyone lookin for a brickie??? if your stuck between north & south the solution is fairly simple,south is similar to uk, north is paradise. thats bout all i can say at present tho,still tryin to get round me TRA difficulties good luck
Old Apr 17th 2005, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

coxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to allcoxfamuk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by tommytriggs
G'day Bruce, Its just like england weatherwise, tad better though (no frost i fink??) as for work, should be ok as their buildin like crazy down there, but likewise if u find anyone lookin for a brickie??? if your stuck between north & south the solution is fairly simple,south is similar to uk, north is paradise. thats bout all i can say at present tho,still tryin to get round me TRA difficulties good luck
I would say that although the weather is changeable it is a MASSIVE improvement on England. Yes, it can be wet, but hell, the sun shines a hell of a lot more.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 5:11 pm
sula

hi can anyone help

much appreciated G-MAN
Hi G-MAN,
I've not long been back from a trip to Geelong.It is quite a big place with good facilities but personally I wouldn't want to live there, as it was quite busy and built up. There are lots of nice places nearby.North Geelong is quite industrial with an oil refinery and Ford plant. It has a good central shopping area.The train to Melbourne takes about 1hr.

There are some good beaches nearby and the Great Ocean Road has wonderful scenery. I prefer the Mornington Peninsula.

I used to live in Brisbane, which is a fab place for families.

Good luck

Sula

Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:11 pm
Forum Regular

g-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to allg-man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sula
Hi G-MAN,
I've not long been back from a trip to Geelong.It is quite a big place with good facilities but personally I wouldn't want to live there, as it was quite busy and built up. There are lots of nice places nearby.North Geelong is quite industrial with an oil refinery and Ford plant. It has a good central shopping area.The train to Melbourne takes about 1hr.

There are some good beaches nearby and the Great Ocean Road has wonderful scenery. I prefer the Mornington Peninsula.

I used to live in Brisbane, which is a fab place for families.

Good luck

Sula

thanks for all replies still completely confused i wish we had a little fairy to make the choice for us, we are coming over on a regional visa so a little restricted, can anyone make any suggestions of an ideal place for us to move to in either queensland or victoria preferrably by the coast

still a very confused family
cheers G-man
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:16 pm
sula

thanks for all replies still completely confused i wish we had a little fairy to make the choice for us, we are coming over on a regional visa so a little restricted, can anyone make any suggestions of an ideal place for us to move to in either queensland or victoria preferrably by the coast

still a very confused family
cheers G-man

Torquay 20mins from Geelong on the coast was a lovely place.Lots of new build going on, you might find work there.
Sula

Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Torquay 20mins from Geelong on the coast was a lovely place.Lots of new build going on, you might find work there.
Sula
husband has got the map out at the moment looking where torquay is, i cant believe how hard this is as we have never been to oz and dont want to make the wrong choice, thanks for your suggestion

G-man
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:49 pm
sula

husband has got the map out at the moment looking where torquay is, i cant believe how hard this is as we have never been to oz and dont want to make the wrong choice, thanks for your suggestion

G-man

This is a good website, which will give you lots of info on the area.

http://www.greatoceanroad.org/geelong/

Sula

Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

This is a good website, which will give you lots of info on the area.

http://www.greatoceanroad.org/geelong/

Sula
just had a quick peek at the site looks great will probably answer all my questions for geelong i have added it to my favourites so i will look at it in more detail. thanks for all your help, we were also thinking of toowoomba in queensland but hubby thinks that it might be too hot there and prefer to be on the coast if we choose queensland but after looking at house prices seems a litttle steep ( our budget will be 300 dollars a week )

cheers G-man
Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:02 pm
sula

just had a quick peek at the site looks great will probably answer all my questions for geelong i have added it to my favourites so i will look at it in more detail. thanks for all your help, we were also thinking of toowoomba in queensland but hubby thinks that it might be too hot there and prefer to be on the coast if we choose queensland but after looking at house prices seems a litttle steep ( our budget will be 300 dollars a week )

cheers G-man
I've never been to Toowoomba but have been told that it gets very hot!! Apparently it's a great place to visit but not a lot going on for young children.

Good luck!
Sula

Old Apr 17th 2005, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

I've never been to Toowoomba but have been told that it gets very hot!! Apparently it's a great place to visit but not a lot going on for young children.

Good luck!
Sula
that could rule that one out, this is doing our heads in that and the waiting i think its harder as we are going on a regional visa so alot of places that we like we cant go to

G-man
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

We are looking at Geelong too.Some great towns just outside-Belmont sounds better.Bit further out of town but still big enough to be busy.
I have friends in Melbourne.The governement is putting heaps of money into the area so work propects look good.Like you we have never been there.

We are not looking at going north due to the industry-contact the Geelong tourist board they send out great info packs.

Good luck,let us know how you get on!
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:09 pm
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

We're heading for Torquay, Victoria. Visited last year and just loved it. The beach is fantastic, the school is only 2 years old and seems really nice and we just loved everything about the place. Only half an hour to Geelong and 1 hour by train from Geelong to Melbourne. And the trains leave on time!!!!

We didnt want anywhere too big, as where we live now isnt huge and it had to be on the coast, Torquay was all of those things and did it for us.

If you want any more info, PM me and I will try and help.

Jo
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:12 pm
Forum Regular

Amanda5 will become famous soon enoughAmanda5 will become famous soon enough

Jo,
Youre as sad as me-we've both been on here all morning!

Its addictive!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.