Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has any used Montfort International,Financial Consultants???

Has any used Montfort International,Financial Consultants???

Old May 23rd 2004, 8:25 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

GillettFamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Has any used Montfort International,Financial Consultants???

Hi everyone.
Going moving to Oz Sept-Nov04.

Has anyone used, using or about to use Montfort International plc to sort out their finances???
Does anyone know of any stories about them?
Does anyone have any advice re them??
Good or bad we would appreciate knowing.

We are looking at using them to sort out our stuff. I suppose we could probably do it ourselves I know but its a bit of messing about which, to be honest, we could do without! Both here and over there.
We have been quoted £850 +vat for sorting it all out which could amount up to 18 months worth of help and advice.
Sounds like a bit of peace of mind but its a lot of dosh too!
We're really unsure what to do!
Any comments?
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
When you say sort out your finances what exactly do you mean.Are you talking pensions etc?
Old May 23rd 2004, 8:45 pm
Central Coasties, NSW!

Originally posted by shol
Hi
When you say sort out your finances what exactly do you mean.Are you talking pensions etc?
Hi

Yes, pensions, life insurance, mortgages, investments, bonds, all financial transactions, debts, CCs etc... They get all the info from you contact the people sort out whats what and whats best to do with which, who to use and not use and when to transfer what and when not and do it all for you. When there they help you get your mortgage, if you need one, sort out any tax issues etc.. not just advice.. they do it for you.

Sounds good but do we really need that much help?!! It seems like a corporate approach to a domestic problem.
?????
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:09 pm
Forum Regular

shol is an unknown quantity at this point

I intended to cash everything in,clear our debts and go!Perhaps it aint that easy.
I know my pension plan will be frozen.
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has any used Montfort International,Financial Consultants???

Originally posted by GillettFamily
Hi everyone.

Has anyone used, using or about to use Montfort International plc to sort out their finances???

We are looking at using them to sort out our stuff. I suppose we could probably do it ourselves I know but its a bit of messing about which, to be honest, we could do without! Both here and over there.
We have been quoted £850 +vat for sorting it all out which could amount up to 18 months worth of help and advice.
Any comments?
Hi
Try doing a search.You will find lots of info. about them.
You do need some financial advice from someone as this area is a minefield.

Good luck

G
Old May 23rd 2004, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Also try a search on user 'gld'.
Old May 24th 2004, 12:41 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Do you have difficult tax and financial planning arrangements?

Send me an email if you would like an alternative proposal ...
http://www.collettandco.co.uk/contact.cfm
(excuse the photo!)

Best regards.

Originally posted by GillettFamily
Hi everyone.

Any comments?
Old May 24th 2004, 8:23 am
Bloody Nice Bloke

ianj is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I wouldn't use Montfort International. I had a telephone call one evening a while back at around 7-30 and it was a guy from there. He gave me the whole speech about finances etc and was actually quite pressuring about it all. Although he was saying he had my interests in his thoughts.........my arse.

He was like a car salesman.

Many people may well have used Montfort and thought they were good.....personally I didn't like their approach on the phone so I decided against them.

Instead I used Prism Xpat Financial Planning and a guy called Darion Pohl. Very pleased with the service.
Old May 24th 2004, 8:55 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

Thanks Ian

We had the same phone call. Still think we need some help. See PM. So people do use these services then and not just a DIY job.It's a minefield for sure and I think if we are in the know of where the best moves are and the ones to avoid it could cost probably more than you'd pay for the help.

Has anyone else used anyone else? Or have any stories to regail?

I think this is a very important subject as it involves something we've all worked hard to improve, our finances, and not worth taking a risk to loose all that hard earned dosh! I want bigger and better not smaller and worse! What ever the weather.
:
Old May 24th 2004, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Start with Alan Collett's fact sheets from his website so you can start to get an idea of the issues involved. Do some more research yourselves before you consult anyone. It really pays to have specific questions to ask rather than just take what is given. You can email the tax authorities youself (IR and ATO) and they are very helpful if you can ask a specific question. We also found useful stuff on www.grantthornton.com.au, especially their FAQ section. Tax reference books for both countries are useful if you feel up to it - they can help you find where you need guidance.
Good luck and keep at it until you're happy you understand (well most of it).

Lesley
Old May 25th 2004, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

I completely agree-please do not use them-anyone welcome to PM me for more info but if you do a search under the financial section of www.pomsinperth.com (I think)-interesting! Please, please I beg people not to use them.

Originally posted by Ozbound7
Do not touch them with a barge pole. I have heard that they are being investigated by the FSA and that they hjave had to change their proceedures.

Seriously, if you are able, you would be better off doing it yourself. Most questions have been answered on this website if you search and you would be in control of things yourself.
Old May 25th 2004, 1:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

A guy who worked for them/owned them or something posted on here a lot a few months ago. Pages of boring drivel; I know nothing about financial advice, but the people who DID seem to know had no time for him at all.
Old May 26th 2004, 11:31 am
Central Coasties, NSW!

Default re Montfort

Thanks for all your responses people.
Still undecided what to do. There's obviously some thought needed here.
Will look at the sites for the extra info.
Cheers again!
Old May 26th 2004, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

bcl74 is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am hoping to attend a seminar by our agents on saturday who will have various people there, eg crown, godfrey pembroke and so on so I will ask some questions about this while Im there.

Brian
Old May 27th 2004, 1:36 am
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute
Default Pension transfers

A further observation or two from me.

If you decide a transfer of your pension fund from the UK to Australia is an exercise you wish to undertake (I won't touch on the reasons why this might - or might not - be worthwhile) I believe there are a couple of issues to consider:

1. The transfer of the UK pension fund to a complying fund in Australia. Depending on your personal status vis a vis tax residency and continuing sources of earned income in the UK this might or might not require Inland Revenue approval.

I have read of those who contend that it can make sense to consolidate one's pension arrangements in the UK and to transfer the funds in one lump sum - I can see why this might be of benefit, but I would want to see a quantitative analysis of the benefits before I was persuaded.

Leaving the above aside the key is to find a complying super fund in Australia that is prepared to receive your monies. If you can identify a suitable fund a pension transfer can be undertaken without professional assistance, but as with so many financial transactions for some it might be appropriate to engage a suitably competent person to assist.

2. Where should your super fund monies be invested once your funds have arrived. This is a financial planning exercise, usually to be undertaken by a suitably qualified person. This might involve investing in managed funds, or setting up your own self managed super fund.

Hope this helps to develop the subject ... and if anyone wants assistance with the above please let me know and I'll be pleased to point them in the direction of people we work with.

Best regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.