Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has any one made the move whilst awaiting PR?

Has any one made the move whilst awaiting PR?

Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:28 am
heading back to oz..again

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Has any one made the move whilst awaiting PR?

Hiya looking for advice, we are hoping to fly out october to brisbane hubby has a job and they want him asap,we are may applicants and are awaiting CO everthing is frontloaded and house is sold, i know we cant work till visa is granted and that is fine but is there anything else i need to think about? how long does a tourist visa last? do i need a visa to enter new zealand when visa is issued? can i still get one way tickets and have 40kg baggage allowance? Has any body else done this whilstawaiting PR? any help is greatly appreciated
Old Sep 6th 2007, 11:59 am
Banned

Aussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud ofAussie_Pom has much to be proud of
Default Re: Has any one made the move whilst awaiting PR?

I seem to remember something about having to be in the country that you applied from whilst the visa was being decided (this was a long time ago though). I suppose what visa you are applying for.

Also I am sure we had to send our passports away to get the visa stuck in, not a good idea whilst on holiday.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Hiya looking for advice, we are hoping to fly out october to brisbane hubby has a job and they want him asap,we are may applicants and are awaiting CO everthing is frontloaded and house is sold, i know we cant work till visa is granted and that is fine but is there anything else i need to think about? how long does a tourist visa last? do i need a visa to enter new zealand when visa is issued? can i still get one way tickets and have 40kg baggage allowance? Has any body else done this whilstawaiting PR? any help is greatly appreciated

An ETA last for up to 3 months and a tourist visa can last up to 6 months.

You would need to have either a return ticket or a onward journey. So you could in theory buy a ticket to Aus then onto NZ - however I'm not sure of NZ's policy on that and what they would require you to have. You will need a NZ visa.

You won't get 40kg's luggage allowance as you only get that if you are travelling on an unused PR visa.

You would also need to inform DIAC of your intentions to be in Australia as they would need you to leave the country to grant the visa. They will issue you with a pre-grant letter and you will then have to inform them of when you will be leaving, you can have your visa evidenced in NZ.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aussie_Pom
I seem to remember something about having to be in the country that you applied from whilst the visa was being decided (this was a long time ago though). I suppose what visa you are applying for.
That's not true.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:53 am
Just Joined

Emmalouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Just been talking to my in-laws about coming over a few months before PR. They are waiting for their 143 Visas to be granted but it is gonna be another 12 months or so. Their Migration Agent has just told them there is no reason they can't come to Oz on a Visitors Visa before then, the 143 Visa can be granted while they are here......the only thing is they would have to leave and re-enter Oz to validate it - but a trip to NZ will suffice for this.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Emmalouise
Their Migration Agent has just told them there is no reason they can't come to Oz on a Visitors Visa before then, the 143 Visa can be granted while they are here......the only thing is they would have to leave and re-enter Oz to validate it - but a trip to NZ will suffice for this.
I'm sure they must have misinterpreted their agent. The 143 cannot be granted while they are in Australia (as they don't have the temporary CP visa), but Perth will tell them they are ready to grant the 143 so they can go offshore (eg to Singapore or Auckland) to have their visas granted and stamped.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:41 am
Just Joined

Emmalouise is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes -sorry - I have just asked for clarification. Apparently they meant they can stay here on a Visitors' Visa while they wait for the 143 to be granted...........then go to New Zealand for a short while and have the Visas granted while they are outside Oz before returning. Sorry for the earlier misleading info.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:03 am

collybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of lightcollybabe24 is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks to everyone for there replies, i really want to book flights with emirates from birmingham asap so i can start planning things but someone replied earlier saying i would have a problem as i wouldnt be able to get a one way ticket, how do i get around this one if visas havent been granted by then?
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by collybabe24
Thanks to everyone for there replies, i really want to book flights with emirates from birmingham asap so i can start planning things but someone replied earlier saying i would have a problem as i wouldnt be able to get a one way ticket, how do i get around this one if visas havent been granted by then?

I'll clarify my post a little for you

If you only have a one way ticket then the airline can refuse to carry to you as Australian Immigration need to be satisfied that you are a geniune visitor. They do not like to let someone in who they think will take up residence and maybe work (not saying you will, but it does happen so they are extra vigilant) on a holiday or tourist visa. If immigration don't clear you, then it is at the airlines expense, hence them not risking it.

So that means you will either need a return ticket, an onward journey or they may be satisfied with sufficient funds (but unlikely) for one of them.

To get airline and/or immigration clearance you will probably need a return ticket.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

We are desperate to get to oz as other half has a job offer to start in november and we have also booked the dog out on 5th nov. So the company oh is going to work for offered to sponsor on 457. So we have just applied for that online whilst we wait for 136, so if 136 isnt here come nov we should be able to fly out and start work. Its cost us a couple of hundred extra but with present circumstances on visa front we cant and dont want to wait another 6 months. We know we will have to fly out of oz when/if 136 gets accepted but hey a week in thailand dosnt fase me and if for any reason 136 goes wrong we have 4 years sponsorship
Old Sep 7th 2007, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by nessyp
We are desperate to get to oz as other half has a job offer to start in november and we have also booked the dog out on 5th nov. So the company oh is going to work for offered to sponsor on 457. So we have just applied for that online whilst we wait for 136, so if 136 isnt here come nov we should be able to fly out and start work. Its cost us a couple of hundred extra but with present circumstances on visa front we cant and dont want to wait another 6 months. We know we will have to fly out of oz when/if 136 gets accepted but hey a week in thailand dosnt fase me and if for any reason 136 goes wrong we have 4 years sponsorship

Does DIAC know you have a temp and PR application in? If not then tell them because if your PR comes through before your 457, your PR visa will be cancelled. If you are granted your PR first make sure you withdraw your temp one immediately.

Be very careful and let them know so you don't run into problems.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Im using an agent so hopefully she will know to do these things. Afterall that is what we apy her for
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Im using an agent so hopefully she will know to do these things. Afterall that is what we apy her for

Hopefully But tell her anyway!
Old Sep 7th 2007, 10:33 am

Thanks wendy
Old Sep 7th 2007, 11:09 am

My hubby also has a job and they want him to start asap, i dont want to risk anything messing about getting other visas, they have said they will sponsor him if we dont get our PR, do you have to apply for a 457 here or can you apply for one in australia and have it granted on shore? many thanks colleen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.